Wally and Hopper Duo on Same Dish

nathan86

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 8, 2022
Brownstown, I
I currently have a hopper duo (only receiver) connected to a hybrid slimline eastern arc lnb. The cable runs from the lnb to a hybrid solo hub and then to my hopper duo. I have a wally that I use with a playmaker in my rv but I would like to be able to use my wally in the house when I am at home. Do I need to change out the lnb and get a dph42 or am I able to jus get a channel stack splitter and run one line to the hopper and one line to the wally? I feel like I am reading mixed things about it.

Thanks

I currently have a hopper duo (only receiver) connected to a hybrid slimline eastern arc lnb. The cable runs from the lnb to a hybrid solo hub and then to my hopper duo. I have a wally that I use with a playmaker in my rv but I would like to be able to use my wally in the house when I am at home. Do I need to change out the lnb and get a dph42 or am I able to jus get a channel stack splitter and run one line to the hopper and one line to the wally? I feel like I am reading mixed things about it.

Thanks
It won't work with the hybrid LNB. The hopper Duo is connected to Port one and when it's powered on it kills the signal coming from Port two. You can change that to a DPP LNB, and then the other outputs would still work, that you can connect your Wally to either one. You'd have to replace the bracket that mounts it to the feed arm, also

It won't work with the hybrid LNB. The hopper Duo is connected to Port one and when it's powered on it kills the signal coming from Port two. You can change that to a DPP LNB, and then the other outputs would still work, that you can connect your Wally to either one. You'd have to replace the bracket that mounts it to the feed arm, also

What I’m talking about though is just doing a single run to the dish into a channel stack splitter (not using port 2) and then one port of the channel stack splitter goes to the hopper duo and the other to a Wally. I was reading that with the hybrid lnb’s this might work.

I’ve also read of other people using the hybrid ea lnb and going into the dph42 for this setup and have had it work.

Reactions: TheKrell
What I’m talking about though is just doing a single run to the dish into a channel stack splitter (not using port 2) and then one port of the channel stack splitter goes to the hopper duo and the other to a Wally. I was reading that with the hybrid lnb’s this might work.

I’ve also read of other people using the hybrid ea lnb and going into the dph42 for this setup and have had it work.
It's an interesting concept that might work. I've never tried it but I'd be interested to know if it does

Reactions: charlesrshell
It's an interesting concept that might work. I've never tried it but I'd be interested to know if it does
Well I just ordered a channel stack splitter should be here in a few days. I guess we’ll find out. I’ve seen people do multiple hoppers and multiple Wally’s with this setup but I’ve never seen someone do both.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKrell and HipKat
I am a little confused. I thought that a Hopper DUO only worked with DPP not a hybrid. Although the hub says hybrid, I think that it is fed from a DishProPlus LNB. That being the case, you can run a cable to the Wally from another one of the output ports on the LNB, and it should work. Maybe I am all wrong, but a long time ago I was installing a HopperDuo, and when we had the Hybrid's that were physically the same as the DPP, I accidently grabbed the wrong LNB and it wouldn't work with the DUO. Had to change it to a DPP in order for the DUO to work.

I am a little confused. I thought that a Hopper DUO only worked with DPP not a hybrid. Although the hub says hybrid, I think that it is fed from a DishProPlus LNB. That being the case, you can run a cable to the Wally from another one of the output ports on the LNB, and it should work. Maybe I am all wrong, but a long time ago I was installing a HopperDuo, and when we had the Hybrid's that were physically the same as the DPP, I accidently grabbed the wrong LNB and it wouldn't work with the DUO. Had to change it to a DPP in order for the DUO to work.
It currently works with my duo. It’s a hybrid lnb running a single cable to a hybrid solo hub and then a single cable to my hopper duo. I’m honestly surprised they installed a hopper duo considering I just switched back to dish like 3 months ago and they gave me an ancient receiver. I don’t use it that much anyway so no big deal.

It currently works with my duo. It’s a hybrid lnb running a single cable to a hybrid solo hub and then a single cable to my hopper duo. I’m honestly surprised they installed a hopper duo considering I just switched back to dish like 3 months ago and they gave me an ancient receiver. I don’t use it that much anyway so no big deal.
The Hopper Duo was introduced in 2018, so not exactly "ancient". The Hopper 3 was introduced 2016.

Reactions: HipKat and TheKrell
Ok, I don't know why they qualified you for an HWS instead of an H3, but you might want ask them. I will say I have two HWS's that have served me well since 2014 and I have no immediate plans to upgrade.
Yea it works fine, my main concern is just getting my Wally working at home on the same dish so I can record stuff to my external hard drive for the kids.

Yea it works fine, my main concern is just getting my Wally working at home on the same dish so I can record stuff to my external hard drive for the kids.
Keep in mind that the EHD for the Hopper is not compatible with the Wally. What you record to the EHD on the Wally is only playable on the Wally and vice versa.

Keep in mind that the EHD for the Hopper is not compatible with the Wally. What you record to the EHD on the Wally is only playable on the Wally and vice versa.
Yea I have it plugged into the Wally and am recording it on that. I’ll take the ehd and Wally in the rv with me. Just have to set all of my timers on the Wally.

Duos work with DPP or DPH LNBF's and must be connected to port 1

The Duo is hardly ancient

If you have a Hopper sling, just run the Wally off port 2 on the LNB.. It'll work fine. Only the Duo and Hopper 3 "Kill" the Port 2

If you have a Hopper sling, just run the Wally off port 2 on the LNB.. It'll work fine. Only the Duo and Hopper 3 "Kill" the Port 2
Nope, Hopper 1/2 wont disable the 2nd port but Wallys run in DPH mode, it will complain if connected to port 2 and only work from port 1, same as the Hybrid Hoppers. Only options for the OP if he truly is running a HWS is to either get a DPH42 installed or go back to a DPP LNB + Solo Node , that will use 2 ports off of the LNB leaving the third available for the Wally. If YouTube/Sling/3rd tuner is not required by the OP then going to a Duo with a DPP LNB might be cheaper/less of a headache.

Nope, Hopper 1/2 wont disable the 2nd port but Wallys run in DPH mode, it will complain if connected to port 2 and only work from port 1, same as the Hybrid Hoppers. Only options for the OP if he truly is running a HWS is to either get a DPH42 installed or go back to a DPP LNB + Solo Node , that will use 2 ports off of the LNB leaving the third available for the Wally. If YouTube/Sling/3rd tuner is not required by the OP then going to a Duo with a DPP LNB might be cheaper/less of a headache.
I didn't know that, about Wallys in DPH mode. I thought they were purely DPP tech receivers

Will I need to swap the lnb if I install a dph42 or just run connections from port 1 and 2 of the current hybrid lnb into a dph42?

Will I need to swap the lnb if I install a dph42 or just run connections from port 1 and 2 of the current hybrid lnb into a dph42?
You need to use a DPP lnbf with a 42 switch and since the one you have now is a slimline, it takes a different bracket to mount it to the feed arm

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)