Wally U810 DVR Timers Issue

pattykay

formerly crodrules
Original poster
Jun 14, 2014
North Central Ohio
The new season of Marvel's Spider-Man: Maximum Venom is about to start on Disney XD on Sunday, April 19. I checked my existing DVR timer for Marvel's Spider-Man (set before the title of the series was changed to add "Maximum Venom") to make sure it will still find the new episodes. The timer is still finding the new episode and listing it in the Schedule. However, it looks like it is not actually set to record. On the Schedule screen, the episode is crossed out, with a note "Not to be recorded due to tuner conflict."
0415200900-00.jpg

As you can see in the picture, I have no other timers scheduled that would cause a conflict. This same "tuner conflict" appears for every airing of this episode in the Schedule. When I try to resolve the "conflict" it says "Event restored" on the screen, but then it never actually restores the event. Has anyone ever seen anything like this issue? I tried setting additional timers for Marvel's Spider-Man: Maximum Venom when I first noticed this issue last Sunday, which was the first time the guide went out far enough to see the new episode. Those timers showed the same conflict, so I deleted them. This timer is the only timer that is still set on this Wally, and I still see the so-called "conflict." I am out of ideas on how to fix this, and I would like to get it straightened out before the new season starts this coming Sunday. If the show does not record, I can always watch it On Demand, so I am not too worried. It is just annoying that it looks like I will not be able to record it to watch again at a later date after it is no longer available On Demand.

The new season of Marvel's Spider-Man: Maximum Venom is about to start on Disney XD on Sunday, April 19. I checked my existing DVR timer for Marvel's Spider-Man (set before the title of the series was changed to add "Maximum Venom") to make sure it will still find the new episodes. The timer is still finding the new episode and listing it in the Schedule. However, it looks like it is not actually set to record. On the Schedule screen, the episode is crossed out, with a note "Not to be recorded due to tuner conflict."

Wow that's really weird. Have you tried deleting that timer and setting a new one up? With timer issues that can resolve them especially since the box isn't recognizing that there are no other timers set.

Wow that's really weird. Have you tried deleting that timer and setting a new one up? With timer issues that can resolve them especially since the box isn't recognizing that there are no other timers set.
Okay, this is really weird, and it is freaking me out. The Wally will not even let me delete that timer. I have tried both selecting that timer directly from the Timers screen to delete it, and using Options > Manage Timers then selecting the timer and selecting option number 3 to delete. When I do either of those things, I get the popup Attention 534, asking me to confirm that I want to delete the timer. When I select Yes, it looks like the timer is deleted. However, when I go back to the Timers screen the next time, the timer reappears. The Schedule screen continues to list the "conflict" events, exactly as shown in my picture before, even when the timer is temporarily "deleted."

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
Have you tried pulling the AC plug to hard restart your receiver? The few times that I could not erase a show, pulling the AC plug fixed the issue.

Have you tried pulling the AC plug to hard restart your receiver? The few times that I could not erase a show, pulling the AC plug fixed the issue.
After I reset the Wally, it appears to erase all timers. (The same thing happened last Sunday when I first tried to test this. Keep in mind that I had not tried to delete any timers prior to restarting the Wally at that point. So, they should not have disappeared.) Then, when I try to set a new timer from the guide (or from the show's Info screen) it will not let me create the new timer. It acts like it is creating the timer, displaying "Recording Series on DISXD - Only New - Press Select for recording options" in a popup in the lower-right corner of the screen. However, the red dot never appears in the guide for the show. When I go back through the DVR menu, the Timers screen is still blank, and the Schedule screen still says "No Timers Scheduled."

This same thing happened with all of the new timers I tried to set last Sunday. Those are the ones at the top of the Schedule list in my picture above. Of those timers, only the BUZZR (OTA) one displayed any information on the right side of the screen. It showed "Not Applicable" for both the "Recording Started" and "Recording Stopped" fields. The right side of the screen was completely blank when I highlighted the other timer listings in the Schedule. None of them actually recorded.

After the list of Timers and the Schedule get cleared out following a reset, there does not seem to be a way to get them to reappear, no matter how many times I reset the Wally. I could not even see those failed recordings in the Schedule until after I deactivated the Wally that night. (I only activate the Wally on days that I am actually using it. Then, I log into my mydish account to deactivate it the rest of the time to save money.) At that point, I was also able to see the duplicate Marvel's Spider-Man: Maximum Venom timers that I had attempted to set, which is when I deleted them on the Timers screen.

One other weird thing: every time I activate the Wally, the Model displayed on the Diagnostics screen changes to "Wally D" instead of simply saying "Wally" like it normally does. Does anyone know what the difference is between a "Wally D" and a regular Wally, or why the Model displayed would keep changing on the same receiver, depending on whether or not it is activated?

Sounds like your Wally has a virus.
I figured that the glitch might have something to do with the way I frequently activate and deactivate it. Otherwise, it may be because of my programming subscription. I do not have a traditional basic package. My account has International Basic + Portuguese: RTPI + Latino Bonus Pack (+ Local Channels on the days that I use them). Still, I actually subscribe to the channel in question (Disney XD) full time through the Latino Bonus Pack, plus it is currently in free preview. So, I should be authorized to record that channel one way or another. I paid the $40 fee years ago to activate the DVR functionality on my account, so I expect it to still work whenever I reactivate my receiver. That does not appear to be the case, though. :(

After deactivating the Wally last night, and reactivating it again today, I now see that the old timer for Marvel's Spider-Man has been successfully deleted, and my new timer for Marvel's Spider-Man: Maximum Venom that I tried to set last night is now the only timer listed there, as it should be. However, the Schedule still shows "Not to be recorded due to tuner conflict" for every airing of this episode with the new timer.

One other problem I noticed with the mydish site when I reactivated my Wally today: instead of adding the usual $7 HD Receiver Fee for the Wally, it added a $14 HD/SD (2TV) Receiver Fee, presumably for my ViP222k. If I were keeping both receivers activated full-time, I would be ticked off about this. However, I figure it will straighten itself out when I deactivate the Wally again.

One other weird thing: every time I activate the Wally, the Model displayed on the Diagnostics screen changes to "Wally D" instead of simply saying "Wally" like it normally does. Does anyone know what the difference is between a "Wally D" and a regular Wally, or why the Model displayed would keep changing on the same receiver, depending on whether or not it is activated?
Okay, it is not just on the Diagnostics screen. It is also listed as a "Wally D" all over this pop-up that I took a picture of:
0416201413-01.jpg

So I'll ask again: what the heck is a Wally D, and how is it different from a regular Wally? (Other than the DVR functionality not working properly on the Wally D, apparently.)

Okay, it is not just on the Diagnostics screen. It is also listed as a "Wally D" all over this pop-up that I took a picture of:
So I'll ask again: what the heck is a Wally D, and how is it different from a regular Wally? (Other than the DVR functionality not working properly on the Wally D, apparently.)

Have you tried chatting in with our support team? We may end up replacing the Wally for these timer issues, but we can't do it over the forum here.

Have you tried chatting in with our support team? We may end up replacing the Wally for these timer issues, but we can't do it over the forum here.
That was useless. At the end of the chat, I got this response:
"This should be a one-time occurrence. If there is an issue with the receiver, it will experience other issues such as hard drive failure Pop-ups. If the receiver experiences other issues such as hard drive failure Pop-ups, please contact us again."

While I was still replying to that, the chat got shut off with the following response:
"I have not heard from you in a while and your chat window shows you've been idle. If a response is not received within the next 1 minute, the chat will be closed.

I apologize, however due to the lack of response I will now be ending this chat session. Feel free to chat back with any additional questions or concerns. Thank you for using the Partner Help Desk. Have a great day!"

Should I try again?

• Sad
Reactions: TheKrell
I had the same problem with a "computer chat" last Sunday trying to fix a guide problem on H3 which was in another room.

Every time I went in there to perform a task requested, it was trying to time me out.

It finally timed me out, so I called in and went through the process over the phone.

It was my impression that I was chatting with a computer, not a real person. It was dumber than a CSR and could not comprehend what I was trying to describe as my issue.

With the phone call I got a rep who was helpful and knowledgable and finally after he remoted into my H3 and saw what was happening, he scheduled a tech visit the next morning.

Could the "D" be an appendage that notes your Wally has a hard drive connected? Just throwing something up on the wall to see what sticks.
I thought of that. However, my sister also has a Wally with a hard drive connected on her account with Welcome Pack, and her receiver simply says "Wally" on the Diagnostics screen. The "D" did not start appearing on mine until December, and like I said, it only appears when the Wally is activated. I leave the hard drive connected all of the time, so the lack of DVR functionality would seem to be an issue with it not getting authorized properly when I turn on the Wally.

The chat rep insisted that the Wally was only supposed to be able to record, not pause live TV, rewind, skip forward, etc. Keep in mind, this was after I was transferred to "Advanced Technical Support" on the chat. I call BS on that, and now the Wally is not even letting me record. I will try calling, and see what they say.

I thought of that. However, my sister also has a Wally with a hard drive connected on her account with Welcome Pack, and her receiver simply says "Wally" on the Diagnostics screen. The "D" did not start appearing on mine until December, and like I said, it only appears when the Wally is activated. I leave the hard drive connected all of the time, so the lack of DVR functionality would seem to be an issue with it not getting authorized properly when I turn on the Wally.

The chat rep insisted that the Wally was only supposed to be able to record, not pause live TV, rewind, skip forward, etc. Keep in mind, this was after I was transferred to "Advanced Technical Support" on the chat. I call BS on that, and now the Wally is not even letting me record. I will try calling, and see what they say.
What software version is on that Wally?

Okay, so I did a little more playing around with my Wally after deactivating it again tonight. It turns out that the DVR functionality works just fine while the Wally is deactivated. I can pause live TV, rewind, skip back, skip forward, and fast forward, both with delayed live TV and my existing recordings. None of that was working while the Wally was activated. So, I am guessing that the "D" is for Deactivated, and somehow the label (and authorization) got switched to the reverse of what it should be. Unfortunately, with the Wally actually deactivated, I no longer have access to the channel that I wanted to record. So, this "work-around" is not actually very useful. :(

What software version is on that Wally?
It's in the thread title. U810

Oh, I see. You meant my sister's Wally. It has the same software version as mine.
As of today, both my Wally and my sister's Wally have the new software U811. (It seems ironic that an 811 is an upgrade from a Wally. Yes, I have been waiting awhile to do that joke.) I am going to wait until tomorrow, and then reactivate my Wally. Then, I am going to make one last effort to try to straighten out this issue. If my timer still does not look like it is going to work, and if I still do not have DVR functionality while the Wally is activated, then I at least expect Dish to acknowledge the problem. Hopefully, this time they will admit that the Wally needs to be replaced. (As you can tell, I do not have much optimism that the new software will actually fix the problem. I would be happy to be proven wrong.)

As of today, both my Wally and my sister's Wally have the new software U811. (It seems ironic that an 811 is an upgrade from a Wally. Yes, I have been waiting awhile to do that joke.) I am going to wait until tomorrow, and then reactivate my Wally. Then, I am going to make one last effort to try to straighten out this issue. If my timer still does not look like it is going to work, and if I still do not have DVR functionality while the Wally is activated, then I at least expect Dish to acknowledge the problem. Hopefully, this time they will admit that the Wally needs to be replaced. (As you can tell, I do not have much optimism that the new software will actually fix the problem. I would be happy to be proven wrong.)
Can't you just tell them it's completely dead and have them ship a replacement?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)