Walmart Black Friday $128 Blu-ray

I hope this isn't them trying to get rid of those left over 1.0 profile BD players that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. You know the ones where Granny has to figure out how to firmware upgrade right out the box just to play a movie.

I'm pretty sure it's the Funai manufactured units. Which have been pretty reliable units. 1.1 profile I believe.

I have read elswehere that this is the Unit at Walmart for 128

Magnavox Blu-Ray (NB500MG9)

Walmart.com: Magnavox Blu-ray Disc Player, NB500MG9: DVD & Blu-ray Players

The mag is one of the Funai units. I had one for a while, I exchanged it for the Sammy 1500 cause I was hoping for a decent BD-Live capable unit. (big mistake which I then had to return the sammy for many reasons).

many good reports on the mag and other Funai units. 1 thing I have noticed with them is they seem to keep on chugging without firmware updates like other units...

Last edited:
The NB500MG9... but I hit a snag, it will not play Tropic Thunder a Dreamworks release... rocky has the same unit and it played Kungfu Panda also a Dreamworks release... I haven't found a firmware upgrade for this unit yet... but it has been rock solid and is close to if not as good at upconverting as my HD DVD player the D1... and it will play some AVC HD discs and has a SD card for photos (won't play mpegs thru it)

The NB500MG9... but I hit a snag, it will not play Tropic Thunder a Dreamworks release... rocky has the same unit and it played Kungfu Panda also a Dreamworks release... I haven't found a firmware upgrade for this unit yet... but it has been rock solid and is close to if not as good at upconverting as my HD DVD player the D1... and it will play some AVC HD discs and has a SD card for photos (won't play mpegs thru it)

Yup, mine works like a charm, just finished 10,000 BC. Looked great.

Lets think about the benefits of the $128 BD player for a second -- it opens up BD to thousands of people; and vastly expands the market. Is the Magnavox the best player? Maybe not, but its picture quality is excellent, and I could care less about 2.0 live features. I want BD to do ONE THING -- play High Definition movies in 1080p with HD audio. Simple. And this player does it.

By the way... it is currently selling for $200 at Wallyworld. $100 price-reduction already. Not a bad price either.

I'm just really stunned at how fast prices have dropped. I expected $300 units this Xmas, $200 ones next. And yet we're seeing $128 units now, and I bought a Sammy 1500 for $80 when I bought the Sammy HDTV. Amazing.

My box may be an anomaly, I haven't seen any posts elsewhere on Tropic Thunder not playing... if it wasn't a 20 mile round trip I would try Wall-E to see if it plays (would turn into a 40 mile trip if it didn't ;))

I'll probably pick up Wall-e in the next day or so and try it on the Insignia. It's essentially the same player. I'll report back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts