Walmart selling Compaq Presario laptop for $298

Bulldog

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 22, 2004
Walmart plans to sell a Compaq Presario laptop for $298 starting July 26th.

The model includes a 15.6-inch 1366x768 display, 3GB of RAM, a 160GB hard drive, and a DVD burner.

It’s running on a Vista Home OS. Nice buy for the Grand Kids :)

Yeah a friend showed me the ad for that last night... her Daughter's Birthday is coming up... my 3 year old model like that just died so torn between that and a netbook...

Don, given that you don't travel that much, go for the real laptop. The netbook is nice, but they are underpowered, and the keyboards would drive you to drink (or drink more). :D

$300 is a great price on a laptop though.

Ain't the second processor only good if the software you are programmed to use the second processor?

To speed up a single program you would need that program to be threaded to use both processors. But, 2 processors really speeds up the system since Windows wants to run 50 other programs. Quad cores work well since windows will manage to use 1 processor, and your anti virus uses another one, leaving the user 1-2 processors to actually get work done.

It is night and day going from 1 to 2 processors on a laptop. Windows just wants to do so much stuff in the background, especially when you bring the laptop out of sleep/hybernate or boot. Which tends to happen a lot on a laptop.

What's the battery life like on this model? And would it have killed them to include "n" networking?

Good deal for someone that wants a good basic laptop. Obviously not for high end users, but I see nothing to complain about on this.

I wonder if this is eligible for the free upgrade to windows 7.

I miss the days where you had some idea how to compare the speed of a processor without a ton of research (p4 3.0ghz vs amd xp 3000+). I realize those ratings were somewhat subjective but at least you had a starting idea. Now I check this webpage first:
PassMark Software - CPU Benchmarks - List of Benchmarked CPUs and then try to find reviews by real people who have owned the cpu.

I will second the comment that having a dual core makes a huge difference when you throw an antivirus program into the mix.

Today's basic machine is a steal. Good price for the specs. Not for everyone, but a good deal for a lot of folks. As for Windows, just reformat and drop Linux on. I am not an MS hater, but I have a single core laptop, 3 years old, and it boots to a desktop and connects to wifi in 35 seconds from dead cold. It is quite snappy for my purposes.

Since this laptop will only be $299 then wouldn't that force the netbook prices to drop to compete? I thought I saw some of the netbooks for $200 or less new on ebay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)