Want DTV, have questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

InSaNeBoY

Original poster
Jun 25, 2004
Ok. so after a nice install fiasco with the cable company and I've pritty much given up on them now. And they started airing commertials about DTV having locals right in the middle of this happining. so yes, it got me interested, I checked on the site and it says locals are avalible to my zip... and you *know* the cable company sucks when ALL your neaghbors have dishes! :D

SO. the $1,000,000.00 question is, do I really need a phone line if I get a dish??? :confused: I want two TVs one with TiVO basic service with locals, and maybe HBO in the future. I just don't want to pay $24/mo(absolute cheepest service they have) for a phone I'll never use since we're all cell (we call long distance and mobil to mobil *A LOT* and or bill stays constant) (I want DSL, but that's a whole other issue there :eek:)

so yeah, that's what I want to do, dish sans phone, now is it possible? (I can use one for setup, but 30miles away and might not have a sat signal...)

Question 2. if I can indeed get away with no phone line and all. how tough is the install? I donno if I want an installer to monkey around the house... since I've seen the neaghbors houses all have wires running outside the house, which I do not want. I'm fully capable of running all interior wireing. I'm actually in the midst of running new rome:mad:70y/o wireing is in *bad* shape) and cat 5e all over the house, so I know what I'm doing in that respect. Or can I run the wires, than let the installer put the dish where I want it. (99.9% sure the location is good judging from my nextdoor neaghbors dish which points into my yard) If not what all do I need for install? (aside from a whole lot of RG6 coax)

ok, last one I promose. with the free/$99 TiVO promotions, does that inclued the dish and all if I get a TiVO box and second regular reciver? like if I go to bestbuy and get the phillips TiVO DTV and a regular reciver?

I will let someone else answer number one, but some people have been getting away without a phone line, and just updating the tIVO receiver when they take it on a visit to a friends home with a phone line.

Yes, you can pre-run some good RG6 coax cable and the installer will surely use it, best to run at least double the number of runs you think you will need for future use.

And yes the dish comes with the system no matter what deal you go for, mention when you order just to make doubly sure : )

Best to keep the dish as close as you can above the point of entry of your electrical service and have all your runs come as close to this point also, good luck with the phone issue!

If you do not have any land line phone, it may be a pickle of a thing to figure out. All you need is a line, not deicated, Your regular phone will do, it dials a 800# for 2 reasons, 1, All pay for view billings, 2, tivo uploaded program guide. Thats about all. I have had DTV for many years and I unplugged the phone cord 7 years ago. It keeps wanting to dial so it can charge me for some 20 movies I bought 7 years ago, but sorry I wont hook it up, and I have had 3 card replacements since then and no movie charges, and I pay $80 a month legally. If the line is busy it will dial back. Dont sweat it, it cant spam you

You can also purchase a wireless telephone jack for about $40 and not worry about getting a second line. You plug your current phone line into the "base" of the wireless jack. Then you plug the wireless connection into an electrical outlet and use it like a new phone line. Mine works great.

Here is an example of one.

http://www.seniorshops.com/wirelessjack.html

it's not getting a second line, I don't have a land based phone line at all.

In any case I did pick one up, brought it to my parent's house clamped the dish to their porch railing, turned it on, activated etc. Than I had it dial out so that's all set... After that the card stopped working!? :shocked New card is on the way though. Now I've got it home, waiting on call from the installers because I'm not big on climbing around on the roof. I did try it off the back of the house, no go, tree in the way(I think...). :(

You dont need a phone line for receivers, you won't be able to order PPV through the remote though. You can call or go online to get these.
I have done installs for people w/ just cell phones and they were activated by D*
The TIVO requires the working Phoneline!

Enjoy if you go for it,

To setup your DIRECTIVO just take it to friends houes for the intail setup and after that you are set to go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts