Want HD DVR, need help getting it for $99

Status
Please reply by conversation.

GoHogsAR

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 12, 2004
Good evening,

Hoping someone here has recently been in my situation and can help. I've had DirecTV since August of last year and have the following programming:

DIRECTV DVR Service
PREMIER
NBA LEAGUE PASS
NFL SUNDAY TICKET
NFL SUNDAY TICKET Superfan

This is the same programming I've had since day one. I recently purchased a HD TV and obviously want to add the DirecTV HD channels. I saw the price of $299 online but called last weekend and was offered $199 by first-line support.

I read online this week that people were having success getting them to match the Dish price of $99. I called back today and got the same answer from first-line support even after I asked them to match the Dish offer. She said she couldn't do it but would transfer me to someone who might be able to help.

I was transferred again and simply told the next rep that I wanted them to please match the Dish offer. She put me on hold, then came back and said that the best she could do was $199. I told her that I pay over $100/month for my base package and subscribe to the Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass, and then the March Madness package when it rolls around. I told her I didn't call and complain when they offered the Superfan package for free after I paid $100 for it but she said that she couldn't do anything about that either, and $199 was the best price I was going to get.

When I asked to speak with Retention, she said I was speaking with Retention. She also told me that if I wanted to disconnect, the charge would be $125 and the cancellation would take effect immediately. I told her I would disconnect as soon as I confirmed an install date for Dish. She said she understood, wished me a good night, and we ended the call.

Since I'm under contract, do I have any chance of getting them to match the Dish offer? Anyone I can email who might be more receptive to my request? I want to stay with DirecTV because of the NFL and March Madness packages, but I also want HD at the best possible price.

Thanks

Based on my experience, and that of others that I've read here, just keep trying. I got an HR20 for free, and never onces mentioned canceling or any competing companies or technologies. I simply said I wanted to check into upgrading to the new HD-DVR so I could get the new HD channels and locals (this was a couple months ago - before the new channels were out). It took me 3 calls, and on the 3rd call, they offered it right away. I never made any kind of complaint on any of the calls. Simply called to inquire, and on the first two calls told them I'd think about it.

Obviously, playing "hard ball" has worked for others. I'm not comfortable playing that game myself - whether I truly intended to do so or not.

Also, it's worth saying "cancel" at the voice prompt when you call to get to retention. You don't have to actually threaten to cancel once you get a live person though.

That's speaking from my personal experience...

If you get a better deal than was already offered to you then great, but still being under contract; it really doesn't matter if you have every sports pack or what you monthly is right now; getting something free or way under the current rate will be tough to do. Must of the deals I see or read people getting are already out of their contract and its is advantageous to make offers to them.

I truly see DirecTV being so much more competitively ahead that they simply won't need to offer the world to keep subs. You mention having Sunday Ticket and March Madness. Those are both D* exclusives. They know you can't get that with the other provider and you will most likely stay with them. I've gotta have MLB EI and the new HD truly blows cable away. Their pricing on service with 6 DVRs is nearly $90.00 less than what I could get with cable.

The best deals are behind us now. Your only chance to save is to try begging out some programming credits.

Since you are under contract they may have you by your you know what. Doing the math of $199 for an HD DVR - $125 canx fee = $75 to stay with D*. I left after ten years for the reason you are using. I tried AT&T Dish Homezone for four months, hated it, and am now back. It cost me $99 and four months pain to come back. You get it for $75 with no pain.

I'd bite the bullet and pay. It is rumored D* is rapidly expanding because of their new HD supremacy and is running out of equipment. Christmas is coming too. Your deal could dry up quickly.

The important thing is to say "Cancel Service" at the voice prompt. That will connect you to knowledgeable and articulate person with decision making authority. Be nice, don't threaten, and come hat in hand. Explain what you want and see what they offer. Since you have to pay them to leave, you just don't have much bargaining power.

I, after 3 levels of CSRs, got an HD DVR for shipping and handling. However, to get to that point I was $400+ out of my own pocket. The story is that after a few weeks of coming home to a voice mail about upgrading my service from D* every 3-4 days, I finally called and made arrangements to get a new dish (still had a 3 LNB at that time) and an HD DVR. The deal was $199.95 plus shipping and handling. D8 installer shows up a week or so later and can't/won't install the Slimline as it was beyond their restrictions for height/roof pitch. Had to cancel the install so no dish, no HD DVR. Found an independent contractor who would install the Slimline and that cost me $400+ including the dish, new cabling, etc., etc. He did a great job and signal strength is in the 90+ range across all satellites so I can't complain. When I called back to D* for the HD DVR I all of a sudden couldn't even get the $199.95 offer. In fact, the Resolution CSR was "$299.95, take it or leave it" with me. I asked to speak to a supervisor as all I was asking for was the original deal, at least for the HD DVR. On the line comes a CSR who identifies himself as a "Resolution CSR". I explain my tale of woe to him, including the fact D* wouldn't even leave the Slimline with me for my private contractor and I was out a few bucks. His solution "How about an HD DVR for $19.95?" Never quite got to the "I'm going to cancel" mode but I also made it clear I wasn't particularly a "happy camper" either and I did have options.

Good evening,

Hoping someone here has recently been in my situation and can help. I've had DirecTV since August of last year and have the following programming:

DIRECTV DVR Service
PREMIER
NBA LEAGUE PASS
NFL SUNDAY TICKET
NFL SUNDAY TICKET Superfan

This is the same programming I've had since day one. I recently purchased a HD TV and obviously want to add the DirecTV HD channels. I saw the price of $299 online but called last weekend and was offered $199 by first-line support.

I read online this week that people were having success getting them to match the Dish price of $99. I called back today and got the same answer from first-line support even after I asked them to match the Dish offer. She said she couldn't do it but would transfer me to someone who might be able to help.

I was transferred again and simply told the next rep that I wanted them to please match the Dish offer. She put me on hold, then came back and said that the best she could do was $199. I told her that I pay over $100/month for my base package and subscribe to the Sunday Ticket, NBA League Pass, and then the March Madness package when it rolls around. I told her I didn't call and complain when they offered the Superfan package for free after I paid $100 for it but she said that she couldn't do anything about that either, and $199 was the best price I was going to get.

When I asked to speak with Retention, she said I was speaking with Retention. She also told me that if I wanted to disconnect, the charge would be $125 and the cancellation would take effect immediately. I told her I would disconnect as soon as I confirmed an install date for Dish. She said she understood, wished me a good night, and we ended the call.

Since I'm under contract, do I have any chance of getting them to match the Dish offer? Anyone I can email who might be more receptive to my request? I want to stay with DirecTV because of the NFL and March Madness packages, but I also want HD at the best possible price.

Thanks

Get to the retention department and try being honest. State that you know of people getting these machines for free, and all you are asking for is one for 99 dollars. Ask them why they won't give that to you when you know that they can, and if they still say no, ask to speak with a supervisor. They will put up a small fight, but just hold the line. If you get disconnected, call back and ask for a supervisor. Someone will give in.

I was only with D* 5 months, don't have ST or any premium channels, and didn't once threaten to leave, and I got a free HR20 for my second TV (already had one) for only $20 S&H.

Say "cancel service" when you call and keep trying...

I was only with D* 5 months, don't have ST or any premium channels, and didn't once threaten to leave, and I got a free HR20 for my second TV (already had one) for only $20 S&H.

Say "cancel service" when you call and keep trying...
Wow, thanks to everyone for the advice. I tend to agree that they have me by the short and curlies since I'm under contract but the post I've quoted above makes me wonder. I'll give it one more shot this afternoon and see if they can beat $200 but after going through this two Sundays in a row now I'll probably just cave if they tell me again that $200 is the best deal possible. I'll let you know how it turns out.

How about for new customers? How can a new sub get the HDDVR for free?
They have referred to the $199 price as the "new customer" price more than once on my phone calls. I know that doesn't help but at least gives you some context.

How about for new customers? How can a new sub get the HDDVR for free?

Now that is a different story, interestingly enough.... I have seen one or two here who have said they've been able to get free/discounted (more than $100) HR20's, but they have been few and far between. More likely they will offer you some kind of deal on a sports package and/or a programming credit.

You don't have access to retention because you're not an existing customer.

What if I tell D* that I am thinking about coming over from E* but only if I can get the HDDVR for free.

What if I tell D* that I am thinking about coming over from E* but only if I can get the HDDVR for free.

It's definitely worth a try - again, I have seen that it has worked for some people, but rarely... definitely harder than getting the free one after you're a customer...

Kind of seems backwards to the way most people do business, but that's the way it is...

I got mine totally free, free shipping, installation. I just called and asked if they could beat their online price and she said if I re-upped for two years I could get it free.

I'm new to this site and first off wanted to tell everyone how GREAT I think the site is! I called D* today because I REALLY want to switch from E* and was told that the bast they could do is $199 for the HDDVR but they are willing to give me 10 $10 credits thus in their mind it only cost $99. My question is if you think that is the best deal I can get or do you guys think that I could get that along with maybe free SuperFan for the ST? I'm am convinced that E* is making no attempt at putting channels that I want to watch in HD in the lineup, FX for Nip/Tuck. Forget about Voom those channels simply do not interest me and on top of that I am paying $20 a month for HD when the channels I want are on D*. The one hold up for me is that I will also be paying E* $78 to cancel their service. Thanks for any input.

I got around to calling back this morning. I said "cancel service" at the prompt and got to someone in Retention with virtually no wait. I explained that I wanted to upgrade to a HD DVR and that I had a couple of friends who were able to do it for $99. I said I didn't think they were under contract and I understand I am, so that's probably why $199 is the best price I have been offered on earlier calls. I asked if she could throw in some programming credits so I'd feel better about paying $199 for the hardware, and she said after a very short pause that she would give me a $10 programming credit each month for the next 12 months. I have to pay $19.99 for S&H, so after credits I was able to get this done for my target price of $99. They're even going to be here tomorrow morning between 8 and 12 to install the new dish and receiver.

Thanks for all the replies. Persistence and a friendly attitude seem to be the keys to getting what you want. At least if you're under contract and can't really go anywhere else. :)

What if you had Direct TV from 2004 to 2005 then went to Dish and want to come back.

As an old customer are you allowed to talk to the retention department by using the cancel Service phone option?

If I remember right, it asks if you already have service and makes you enter your phone number before giving you any options, so I'm guessing no. Then again, maybe if it still has your phone number in the system... who knows?

Now that is a different story, interestingly enough.... I have seen one or two here who have said they've been able to get free/discounted (more than $100) HR20's, but they have been few and far between. More likely they will offer you some kind of deal on a sports package and/or a programming credit.

You don't have access to retention because you're not an existing customer.
I actually got mine for free. They initially wanted $199 but gave me a credit of $100 on my account and I was to pay $99 . I came back on their " Win Back promo" and they were to waive the S/H of $20 but when I saw the invoice online it hadn't been waived. So, I called to have that correct but they cancelled the entire invoice so I was never billen anything for my HR20 since Aug.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)