Want HD DVR, need help getting it for $99

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why not name this how to scam DTV? Im shocked mods let this type of posting go on so much.

Because it manipulating DTV's policies. Asking what you need to say to get it cheaper, what lie you need to tell DTV so they will discount a box is deceptive. DTV is just going to get stricter with its winback offers and eventually there wont be anything they can offer because too many people just use it to get a better deal and that’s not what its for.

There was a long debate over at the other forum on the topic of allowing not allowing this type of posting. The topic was closed. Did you come over here to debate it now?

I am for freedom of speech. People should be able to report there observations. Readers should understand that the information and offers will change daily. Read it for what its worth and make your own choice.
We report you decide type of thing.

I see no reason to close these types of threads.

if directv willingly gives lower prices if you ask where is the scam? I guess you pay full price when you go to the car lot? directv makes the money on programming and receiver charges, period. thats why they basically will give the receiver away to get you long term. those that are ok with paying for the equipment are just lagniappe.

There was a long debate over at the other forum on the topic of allowing not allowing this type of posting. The topic was closed. Did you come over here to debate it now?

I really don’t know or care about the other forum your talking about this is my only account on this forum, ask a mod if you think Im lying. I simply saw the post and responded.

I am for freedom of speech. People should be able to report there observations. Readers should understand that the information and offers will change daily. Read it for what its worth and make your own choice.

Freedom of speech? That really has no connection to explaining to someone how to dupe a company and its policies so you can get something for free or less than normal customers pay for it. They don’t change daily and what CSR's can give you per policy is not the same thing they can give me per policy. There is also a judgment call made by the CSR and they have the ability to go a extra mile DEPENDING on policy on a case by case bases.

We report you decide type of thing.
You do eh? ok report to me what the policy is for a winback for someone who has went to dish twice and now wants what joe blow has because he posted how easy it was for him to get it?

That’s the thing what you report is not true for every account and wile joe got a deal they gave tom nothing and just disco'd his service because he thought if he just fights with them long enough they will give in and its not true, there are a large number of accounts that dont have the same options available, now he has to sign up again and the credits CSR's are alowed to give him has gone down even more.

I see no reason to close these types of threads.
That’s because you dont care about the effect it has on DTV, you just want what you can get regardless of the outcome for others.

Last edited:
Oh please. Here is where you go WAY too far. Do you honestly think DTV is hurting here? Come on.

You show me a year Dtv has made a profit? wait you cant show me one can you.

On the other side of things, You can call up tom (he's just your everyday CSR) and you tell tom you havnt had service for a few weeks and the installer messed up your wall did a poor job and now your pissed, what tom are you going to do about it? On top of that your DVR just stopped working (you want the new R16) so tom takes this all into consideration wile he looks over policies and your account he talks to his supervisor and comes to the conclusion he has to credit your BS claims.

So tom credits you 50.00 dollars for all of it, Orders the new DVR and states the tec that come to instal will check your dish as well.

Here’s what you didn’t know about tom, he’s had a sh*t week seems every other day he's had a claim’s call and had to credit someone so guess what, you just cost tom over two hundred dollars in payroll. CSR's are by no stretch rich. DTV dose take care of them better than a lot of other company's, I know there health insurance is better than that you could get by working for the state but its not cheap.

Bottom line is yes you can hurt people not just Dtv but the CSR's themselves by cheating the company so please don’t do it..

Last edited:
Oh please, D* locks these people into a two year contract, free or not, the boxes pay for themselves over the course of the two years.
D* would like the money, but if they needed it they would simply restrict how many free ones are given away.

Dude is mental,

Let me tell you my recent story. I just purchased my 2nd Hughes Tivo about a year ago. I have had HD since its availability and have spent a lot of money on equipment to do so. I get tired of hearing the commercials talking of 70 HD channels and 100 by the end of year, so I flip on over to the guide him must be a typo i got the same 7 HD channels I have always had....... So i call up D* and inquire, " why am i not getting 70 HD channels, im paying for it and have all the HD equipment"? Well its 299.99 HD DVR and 99.99 HD ( bedroom ) and requires new dish install. I promptly hit the deck.

I said first of all I had to call in to discover how to take advantage of the addition of channels I am already receiving? and you want me to spend over another $400 after i just purchased a $300 receiver a year ago? I then explained that i know they are fond of calling people an "A" list customer but i suggest they look up my years of loyalty and average monthly bill because i spend a ton of money with D*.

Effect;raised my blood pressure to stroke levels and got no where. Called again and across 4 hours got 3 different people whom finally got it somewhere in the neighborhood of $249.99 no matter what i said or threatened. So i just drew a line and said no im not paying you guys another dime for this service. I asked if i were under contract and they said No and I had already paid for my Sunday Ticket and Superfan so I explored my options

I called up Dish and worked out a deal with them for comparable hardware and channel selection ( minus Sunday ticket of coarse ) for no money out of pocket and same price a month.

I then called Direct TV back and said cancel service at the automated attendant still got no where till i actually wanted to place the date for the disconnect which was wed of this week, then i got transferred one last time and presto chango got both receivers and the new dish installed for $19.99.

What have we learned ?

1. They can do the right thing if they want to.
2. You have to be actually willing to leave not threaten it. I suspect some allow you to make the date then call back before.
3. It is them who are taking advantage of their good customers. Some would have paid the first highest premium, especially in my bracket which is top end. The majority would have paid the reduced price thinking they were getting a deal. The very few who are fed up and willing to change service get it free. Now who is being dishonest here? I was a good customer and they had within their power to take care of me and treat me right yet they done nothing till they absolutely had to, to retain my yearly revenue. You think we are wrong to network together to get the best deal in light of a company which practices those kinds of policies on their very best customers? For them changing their technology after we already paid for the current? Having to seek out the information to realize the channels your already paying for?

I dont know if D* is public but you must on stock or i dont even know what the alternative is.

Sad thing is that i didnt want to leave them but i would have, I love the D* interface and im very happy with my service and the companies flexibility in paying ect.

Happy thing is, just got it all installed today and loving my $19.99 upgrade. Well technically they charged it all to me then credited it off....... If it wasnt for Sunday Ticket though I would have switched anyway after the hell they put me through.....

Im the victim here not D*

Shawn

Wow all this talk over just reporting what kind of good offers everyone got.

Strange . . .

Wow, lol first off you need new equipment because its a new satellite and the encoding went from mpeg 2 to mpeg 4, what that means is a better HD picture and more channels.

Its a service, your not forced to go HD or even upgrade. What I stated is not mental it happens every day, people call in and just ask for the cancellation department because they herd they can get a deal.

Others just try to work normal CSR's and despite your opinions, it can effect there paycheck.

Good news though Dtv is tightening up on retention, like I said they wont be able to give out as much and in fact they already cut what most CSR's can offer by 50%

I understand you spent 400.00 on the receivers but what did you toss down for the HD TV? Some people act like launching new satellites is a cheep thing LOL its not. If you want to go to dish I would just let you go dtv never promised to be the cheapest just the best value.

To tell the truth I’m not that big on arguing this point if you don’t get it by now you never will.

A car is not a service. You just like to argue about anything.

wow. a car is a piece of machinery/equipment just like the satellite box. they both provide a service, the car gives you the freedom to travel and the satellite box gives you entertainment on television, and both of those services come at a cost gas/subscription.

the sad thing (in your view) is that you are taking food off the car salesmans table when you talk down the price. :rolleyes:

of course I am the one that likes to argue but you are the one defending a satellite company that willingly makes deals on equipment like they are the ones being taken advantage of. ha.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)