Want to add 3 more Receivers to existing SWM System

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rokdog23

Original poster
Jun 7, 2010
Kentucky
I have a SWM installed with 1 HD DVR and 5 H23 Receivers on a SWM8. Want to add 3 more H-23s. What equipment do I need?? I did the original installation so I think I can do the add on, I just need to know how to add to what I have now. Please Help! Any wiring diagrams would be great!

Last edited:
There are 2 ways. First off, which SWM do you have? You'll either have 4 lines coming from dish into a switch or 1 line going into a splitter to figure it out if your not sure by the top of your head.

I have 1 line from the LNB to the Input on the SWM8. 1 line from the Power To SWM output on the Power inserter to the DC (Red) Output on the SWM8. The Sigtnal To IRD on the Power Inserter goes to the closest H23. Then 6 more lines to the other IRDs. I have 1 open output on the SWM8.

well, I can tell you right now your only getting 8 tuners on that and your using 7 unless you use 1 tuner on your HDDVR. But either way, you'll need to upgrade your lnb if they have em available to a 16 tuner and add another splitter and possibly another power inserter. Or......you can go traditional and have a Slimline 5 lnb with 4 lines coming off it going into a swm expander and 2 legacy swms with 2 swm splitters and change out your power inserters to the 29v instead of the 21V like you get now. Matter of fact, if you have no idea on how to handle this, just get directv to do it. The guy who gets the w/o should see that you have a swm and should come prepared with the right equipment for you or just have D* to notate on the w/o to bring expanders. The guy should call you anyway first thing in the morning to verify with you the equipment you have so he'll know what to bring.

What you have is not a SWM8, but a SWM LNB with an 8-way splitter. In any case, you will need to exchange the LNB for a non-SWM type with 4 wires to a SWM16 and two splitters. Two SWM8s, fed with 4 splitters, could be used but a SWM16 would be compatible with whole-home DVR service and therefore is the preferred method.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts