Want to know when D* is launching the new HD Channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Why can't they have a "HD" only package..........................all I want is HD, no SD at all

In other words, you could give a rats behind about content as long as it is delivered in stunning, breathtaking, jaw-dropping HD?

Just so you know, there is lots of content in SD that is worthwhile. And uprezing SD as many channels do is little better than zooming it on your monitor.

What possible difference can it make whether CNN or the Weatherhead Channel is in HD? Other than sports and movies originally produced in HD, I could give a rats behind. Crap in HD is still crap. And quality in SD trumps crap in HD every time. :rolleyes:

In other words, you could give a rats behind about content as long as it is delivered in stunning, breathtaking, jaw-dropping HD?

Just so you know, there is lots of content in SD that is worthwhile. And uprezing SD as many channels do is little better than zooming it on your monitor.

What possible difference can it make whether CNN or the Weatherhead Channel is in HD? Other than sports and movies originally produced in HD, I could give a rats behind. Crap in HD is still crap. And quality in SD trumps crap in HD every time. :rolleyes:

Can I hear an AMEN!

Thank god someone said it!

Oh, and Jimbo, Bucks O don't look so good.

So true.........

Is This Real?

Guys - Not to stir up the pot, but I question the authenticity of the document. Take a really close look at it. I could be wrong and if so, D* needs to work on the quality of their presentations. Just my observation...

I understand that, my post stated as much. I'll ask again, why do we have to pay for HD? We are already paying for the channels once.

Wrong. You made the statement that everything will be hd one day(which is wrong). Why do you assume that?

Transmissions must be digital, none of this affects Sat. There is nothing that says QVC will have to be HD, EVER.

I find it funny that people think all channels should spend the dough to go HD but not charge anymore. When HDTV owners are in the majority, we'll prob have this luxury. There will be many that have non digital tv's for some time that will use set top boxes to get the digital transmissions. This means channels will have to simulcast at an expense which they should be able to recoup.

While i cant speak for how he meant it, a HD only package would be a good idea. For alot of people I assume that what they offer or will offer in HD would suffice.
Not saying I would go the only HD route myself, but with the lineup of channels that may/should come out, id look very hard at it if it were offered since it would cover most of what i watch. And yes that includes CNN, weather channel, fox news, ect. Dont see why some people seem to not want these in HD.

--SNIP--

For the most part that is true. I have started watching shows that I never would have watched, because they were in HD. I can't stand to watch anything in SD now & have both a Blu-ray & HD DVD player to help in my quest to avoid all things SD.

I could give a rat's ass about your content obsession. Right back at ya :rolleyes: :eek:

For the most part that is true. I have started watching shows that I never would have watched, because they were in HD. I can't stand to watch anything in SD now & have both a Blu-ray & HD DVD player to help in my quest to avoid all things SD.

I could give a rat's ass about your content obsession. Right back at ya :rolleyes: :eek:

Do you read only books that have nice full color, jaw dropping photos in them?

To each his own, I guess. But folks who think like you are a big reason there is so much crap on TV, both SD and HD. No discernment. That is, if we are to believe what you say. Will you watch the shopping channels in HD?:eek:

Do you read only books that have nice full color, jaw dropping photos in them?

To each his own, I guess. But folks who think like you are a big reason there is so much crap on TV, both SD and HD. No discernment. That is, if we are to believe what you say. Will you watch the shopping channels in HD?:eek:
Actually this is probably common. Think about when you first got HD(and i have no Idea how long this guy has had it) Didnt you just watch and watch in awe? I know i did, I caught myself watching stuff i wouldnt have ever watched because the picture was SOOOO good. Sure at some point you have to have quality content with your quality signal, but to most people its still so new that as long as they have a few core channels that they cant do without in HD, they will watch the others that they might not normally as time filler vs SD.

I saw where someone was complaining about going thu all the video's,I have the sony kdl-40s2010 and it has video 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,if you use the tv remote go the setup menu and then the label viedo input and skip anyone that you are not using: wmj5@aol.com

Another bit of info -

It is certainly reasonable to believe that DirecTV's HD expansion will 'OFFICIALLY' launch on September 19th.

Don't take that to literally mean that they won't begin to add any HD programming before that however, their M.O. has been to add channels, leave them up a few days, then make a public announcement.

I think this will just follow suit - expect new channels BEFORE the 19th. I still have heard beginning tomorrow, another very good source said by Saturday. It's just around the corner.

I think this will just follow suit - expect new channels BEFORE the 19th. I still have heard beginning tomorrow, another very good source said by Saturday. It's just around the corner.

It would be nice if come Saturday they could fire up some of the BTN games in HD since E*, who came late to the party, will be having HD games this weekend.

I just got a call from a "DirecTV Lawyer" requesting that I remove this thread.

They said this document contains "Proprietary DirecTV Information" (guess that means the info is real.) and was confidential.

The document is not marked "internal use only", marked confidental, nor is it marked as being copyrighted.

I told the lawyer sorry... I would NOT remove it.

SatelliteGuys.US a member of the press and I personally write from MultiChannel News. If DirecTV has a problem with their internal documents getting posted online they should fix their internal security to prevent leaks like this from happening. It is not SatelliteGuys job to police corporate shortcomings.

I should also note that I have in my possession a number of documents from DirecTV which are internal which I have NOT posted, such recent documents include a Letter from Chase Carey called "DIRECTV HD NOW" (Which does read Published 9/4/07 by DIRECTV Corporate Communications for DIRECTV employees and business partners only."), as well as another one (which is a VERY intesting read) called "DIRECTV HD for MDU" which states at the bottom "DIRECTV Propretary and Confidental"

I did not post these documents because of the way we were marked, but according to two seperate attornys I talked to I could indeed post them, as I did not break into DirecTV and steal them.

I should also note that I get documents like this sent to me all the time, most of them come from anonymous sources normally from a Hotmail or Yahoo mailbox.

I contacted a few other industry reporters and asked them for their advice on the matter and was told I did the correct thing by saying NO.

Perhaps the next time I get a "classified" DirecTV document in my mailbox I should forward it over to the Securities and Exchange Commission and ask them why I am getting these classified documents. Maybe they can get an answer.

It should also be noted that these documents have already been picked up and reported on by other sites, removing them from SatelliteGuys.US would not clean up the mess for DirecTV. DirecTV has a security problem, they need to fix it. SatelliteGuys.US is not a babysitter for DirecTV.

With that said, I am still going to sleep on it tonight and give it some more thought. So if you want the documents get them now.

Here at SatelliteGuys we call it as we see it, its been our pholosphy since day one and as long as I am an American reporting news that pholosphy is not going to change.

WTF is so secret about them? It's not like they're laying out the 3 year business plan, just info that hopefully by this time next week will be out in the open anyway. Hell, D* should have made this info public at least a couple of months ago.

Post these letters, AS A PAYING CUSTOMER OF DIRECTV ,We all have every right in the world to know ,Where ,How and What!! And I'm behind you as well 100% Scott. DON"T BACK DOWN !!!!

Post these letters, AS A PAYING CUSTOMER OF DIRECTV ,We all have every right in the world to know ,Where ,How and What!! And I'm behind you as well 100% Scott. DON"T BACK DOWN !!!!

Actually being a paying end user/customer does not give us these rights.. However, Scott is right about a few things; DirecTV has an internal security issue of sorts regarding documents and such; and he is not their sitter. They likely have numerous folks on the "hot seat" (perceived or real) with the impending takeover that are likely facing redundancy layoffs or reassignments and could very well be some disgruntled sources. Forwarding the emails and attachments to the SEC will do nothing in my view (but can't hurt) as no laws are really being broken at the corporate level just by the leaker(s). Forward them back to DirecTV, maybe (I doubt) they can track their internal leaks IF you want those holes plugged. Hell, I also have authenticity issues with leaked documents for the most part; as we never know if they are 110% real, proposed, in draft, declined/rejected ideas, factious training tools, etc.. Just let it go and wait and see what happens.

As far as being a member of the press, I would say YES in relationship to you with MulitChannel and what you may do directly for them, but as far as the personal web-board owner/operator; thats going to be a precedent setting stretch I think and I would be real careful about getting a "big chest" over this title. Even though I still would have said no to the LAW seeing there are no privacy marks/warning on the document like there are on the others.

Just my .02

Status
Please reply by conversation.