Warning on Battlestar S1

chicagofilms

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 15, 2004
Just a heads up for those picking up BSG on HD-DVD, I'd give those packages a shake to make sure you don't grab one with loose discs. I've had it happen with DVDs and nothing pisses you off more than getting home with a nice new movie & find it scratched. :mad:

" Also today, we're hearing reports that the packaging on Universal's new Battlestar Galactica: Season One HD-DVD doesn't hold the discs very securely, so the discs are coming lose in shipping. As a result, a few of our readers have reported problems with badly scratched discs. If you're encountering this problem yourself, visit Universal's HD-DVD website to contact them for help or replacements (look in the Support section)."

Of course, this wouldn't be an issue on BD with it's superior protective coating! :D

I actually made the thread to help you lucky (since it's HD only) folks out there that will be picking up BSG. I would be upset if I bought it and got home to find a disc unplayable.

The silly jab, was just that, a silly jab, hence the goofy smiley.

The BSG HD DVD is hands down the worst set I've ever seen. You have to see the hubs that the disc's are supposed to set on to believe how terrible they are. There this "sticky' glue substance that sticks to the packaging and does not hold the disc's well at all. I was fortunate, as when I got home yesterday and my set had arrived from Amazon, I only had one disc loose and it wasn't scrathed. There a Thread about this issue on the Home Theater Forum that has quite a few responders and frustrated people.

Like posting in the war zone about printing an i instead of a p (Disney Screws up again !) , and your reference to rotting blu-ray disks. When we all know that was an isolated incident that has been corrected.

"VURBANO: No they just rot. Amazing you start an entire thread just to take a silly jab at HD DVD. Sometimes I think you are worse than Joe."

But HD-DVD supporters I assume were not, as you say taking a silly jab at Disney or Blu-Ray. Sorry I don't mean to get people mad, but it sure seems like the HD-DVD side can say anything they like, when ever they like.

Yea, I guess I should have put this in the HD-DVD forum, but I never go there. This sort of thing actually seems pretty common with multi-disc sets of any format. I wouldn't count this as a knock against HD, but whoever designed the packaging.

Yea, I guess I should have put this in the HD-DVD forum, but I never go there. This sort of thing actually seems pretty common with multi-disc sets of any format. I wouldn't count this as a knock against HD, but whoever designed the packaging.

Kind of like the Disney errors that have nothing to do with Blu-Ray :)

I'm guessing no other blu-bloods had their Die Hard discs arrive loose in the package (I had the 2nd disc rolling around in the pack when I opened it)... it happens with all dvd sets packaged with the discs in one snap case.

I agree, this problem has nothing to do with which format is better. It is about the irratating packaging for this set.

Although since it is an HD DVD set, it would make sense for this thread to be in that forum.

I'm guessing no other blu-bloods had their Die Hard discs arrive loose in the package (I had the 2nd disc rolling around in the pack when I opened it)... it happens with all dvd sets packaged with the discs in one snap case.

You are right that DVD's come loose all the time, however,
until you see this case, then you have no idea. I have never seen hubs like this in any DVD set. They stick to the package, if the disc is not already loose then you almost have to break the disc to remove it from the hub and then it won't go back onto the hub correctly. This set has the worst packaging I have ever seen.

Like posting in the war zone about printing an i instead of a p (Disney Screws up again !) , and your reference to rotting blu-ray disks. When we all know that was an isolated incident that has been corrected.

"VURBANO: No they just rot. Amazing you start an entire thread just to take a silly jab at HD DVD. Sometimes I think you are worse than Joe."

But HD-DVD supporters I assume were not, as you say taking a silly jab at Disney or Blu-Ray. Sorry I don't mean to get people mad, but it sure seems like the HD-DVD side can say anything they like, when ever they like.
several different users have reported rotting on various discs at AVS. not just one disc Blu-ray disc rot on a few titles! - AVS Forum Its about as common as a scratched HD DVD disc I would suspect.

The forum you listed discusses only 2 titles with the problem and also state that it was a production problem. (the Prestige/Stranger than fiction). Has this been reported with other titles? also I noticed it mentioned Laser Disks, I never noticed the rot on any of my Laser Disks.

I have neither of those titles thank heavens, but I did send in my Fifth Element disk for the new remastered version, that is one of my favorite movies can not wait to see it the way it should have been.

I was going to move this to the HD DVD forum, but its now obviously war zone material... :(

Can't we all just get along... :)

The forum you listed discusses only 2 titles with the problem and also state that it was a production problem. (the Prestige/Stranger than fiction). Has this been reported with other titles? also I noticed it mentioned Laser Disks, I never noticed the rot on any of my Laser Disks.

I have neither of those titles thank heavens, but I did send in my Fifth Element disk for the new remastered version, that is one of my favorite movies can not wait to see it the way it should have been.
Venom 5 Prestige
MaxDam77 prestige
digason prestige
nynytony prestige
iLLLLLxiLLLLLx prestige
Carman 24 prestige
Bart122580 Prestige?
elbie prestige?
Michael000 Prestige
HumanMedia Stranger than Fiction
phansson prestige
KstateGRCOAT Departed
Surpher Stranger than Fiction
Dbburns Prestige
Band of Brothers
gone in 60 seconds
Jon Spackman Prestige
JohnSteph10 Prestige

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts