Was about to leave DISH for Direct. I'm not sure after doing more research.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I have the 922 and I'm sorry but I love the guide on this thing. I've not found anything to rival it. I am 13 ft away from a 50 in television and have no problem reading the fonts. I'm in the process of getting a 3d 65 in television and have contemplated leaving dish to try Direct but the Blockbuster deal is making wait to see how it works out.

Attachments

• DSC_1446.JPG
    DSC_1446.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 126
Really? I set a day for my series and during the broadcast season there will be times that I have 3 or 4 showings over the evening. A 3 hour view is just convenient imo. And there is no valid reason that D* couldn't make some guide viewing choices available for us. Those Green and Red buttons don't do a thing for me when I'm working with a day. I will grant that it isn't anything I lose sleep over, I can deal with the 1.5 hour guide view, I just don't like it.

Your right, it would be nice to have the option, unfortunately, so far we don't have that option, always something they could add with a software release.

I really don't want more stuff crammed into the guide, jmo.
Just took a look at the new gui, they could probably add another 1/2 hour to the existing guide and be alright.

Would that work for you, a 2 hour guide ?

LOL the DirecTV EPG can't rival the DISHNETWORK EPG (what a JOKE) but we can sure rival and beat everything else right? Grow up people!

Why oh why are we fighting over a stupid EPG? Stop being so damn jealous and thus nick-picking over something so stupid (aka NOT the actual programming), useless and trivial and go watch the TV.

Content is king so see ya in the funny papers as they used to say. Geez

Last edited:
Agree. I sub to D* for the programming. As long as I can see the guide, I'm good.

You guys do a good job countering some of the naysayers on this forum. I'm glad it's not another "DSBTalk" clone over here where I continually read pro-Dish comments on a D* forum.

I always chuckle when I read "Dish is #1 in HD" without mentioning a keyword "sports" ;).

I also care about quality and not the look.

Dish has a nice Interface, and so does DirecTV, but DirecTV leads and kills them in programming. I could not stand Dish and then dropping key channels right and left.

I enjoyed RedZone when I was with them, but I couldnt live without the ticket.

You could have Time Warner Cable. Imagine that. That hideous guide.... ::Shivers::

But them there logos in the EPG sure are purrdy!!

You could have Time Warner Cable. Imagine that. That hideous guide.... ::Shivers::

But them there logos in the EPG sure are purrdy!!

That could be said of any provider that uses Scientific Atlanta boxes running SARA. Passport is slightly better, but SARA is fugly!

interesting that on the DIsh 922 receiver the guide you can read like that
My 211k I made it 7 lines and it looked like this when trying to read the guide and it was all crammed

also on a side note...My grandparents have comcast cable and the guide looks like a friggin colecovision. 3 or maybe 4 channels and an hour guide. I tried to change it but no option

Strange. On my 722k from about 8' away it was easy as pie to read the EPG with those 7 lines. I'm 67 and my eyes aren't the best either.

Fortunately, even though I'm not fond of D*'s guide, I'm not in it enough to lose sleep over. Just come here and nit pick about it a bit... :)

interesting that on the DIsh 922 receiver the guide you can read like that
My 211k I made it 7 lines and it looked like this when trying to read the guide and it was all crammed

also on a side note...My grandparents have comcast cable and the guide looks like a friggin colecovision. 3 or maybe 4 channels and an hour guide. I tried to change it but no option

This is SARA

comcastsara.jpg

This is Passport

scientific_atlanta_8300hd_passport_ipg-250-180.jpg

And this is the "iGuide", which was supposed to be a replacement for SARA, but has been slow to roll out..

comcastiguide.jpg

All of them pretty much suck.. I'm perfectly fine with 6 channels x 1.5 hours. I know how to use a right arrow.. :D

top one is what they had

bottom one is now but its only 4 channels.

Now note this was an old Time Warner market until TW & Comcast did their "swap"

lparsons21 said:
Strange. On my 722k from about 8' away it was easy as pie to read the EPG with those 7 lines. I'm 67 and my eyes aren't the best either.

Fortunately, even though I'm not fond of D*'s guide, I'm not in it enough to lose sleep over. Just come here and nit pick about it a bit... :)

On your 120" screen !

Sent from my Samsung Epic using SatelliteGuys

Just my two cents on the 3 hour vs. 1.5 hour guide info.

I had Dish for 5 years, and when we switched to Direct a year ago, one of my only complaints about the "new" experience was the absurdly large text used in the guide, and the lack of "time" it showed.

I get that some people want to see bigger fonts and all of that, but I want the opposite. I have a large TV, and we sit pretty close to it, and I think I could comfortably view at least 6 hours of programming in the horizontal resolution I've got at my disposal on the guide. It should be an option. Have "large text: 1.5 hours" "medium text: 3 hours" and "small text: 6 hours" as options.

If you like the big fat, screen-wasting font sizes, then great, you can keep it at 1.5 hours.

It really bugs me when a long movie is on, and I can't even see the entire duration of the movie on the guide.

In short, after a year of "getting used to it" on the 1.5 hour guide, I'm still not used to it, and I want the option to change it.

Don't get me wrong, other than the size of things as displayed, I really prefer the DirecTV guide. It has much better information, and it is smarter about delivering that information, with this one big fat exception.

I had Dish for 5 years, and when we switched to Direct a year ago, one of my only complaints about the "new" experience was the absurdly large text used in the guide, and the lack of "time" it showed.

I get that some people want to see bigger fonts and all of that, but I want the opposite. I have a large TV, and we sit pretty close to it, and I think I could comfortably view at least 6 hours of programming in the horizontal resolution I've got at my disposal on the guide. It should be an option. Have "large text: 1.5 hours" "medium text: 3 hours" and "small text: 6 hours" as options.

If you like the big fat, screen-wasting font sizes, then great, you can keep it at 1.5 hours.

It really bugs me when a long movie is on, and I can't even see the entire duration of the movie on the guide.

In short, after a year of "getting used to it" on the 1.5 hour guide, I'm still not used to it, and I want the option to change it.

Don't get me wrong, other than the size of things as displayed, I really prefer the DirecTV guide. It has much better information, and it is smarter about delivering that information, with this one big fat exception.

I get that it would be more convenient for you to have more hours shown in the guide, but I sure don't get that it's a big deal that you don't see the entire movie timeframe in the guide. Why should that matter in any way at all? You can see the name and the length of the movie is in the description. Oh, and you can use the right arrow button if you want to see further ahead. This is as much of a non-issue for me as it possibly could be.

While it's not a exact match Direct's updated UI does have similar looks to the 922 picture a few posts back

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys!!

I get that it would be more convenient for you to have more hours shown in the guide, but I sure don't get that it's a big deal that you don't see the entire movie timeframe in the guide. Why should that matter in any way at all? You can see the name and the length of the movie is in the description. Oh, and you can use the right arrow button if you want to see further ahead. This is as much of a non-issue for me as it possibly could be.

It doesn't matter in the least. It's just something trivial for people to bitch about.

Most people size their TV properly for their room and sit the proper distance from their TV, and therefore don't view those 'big fat fonts' as a waste of screen space. Even on a big screen, Dish's guide sucks to read in 3 hour mode. And 6 hours? Seriously? 3 hours is cluttered enough as it is, and you want 6 hours??

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)