SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 1, 2005
Bayamon, Puerto Rico
Great News

I hope Dish gets in!

WatchESPN

Categories: New, Sports

The free WatchESPN app lets you keep up with your sports anytime, anywhere. Watch live games and studio shows with 24/7 access to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, ESPNews and ESPN Deportes. You can also watch on-demand clips of the latest news and highlights.

WatchESPN

Developer: ESPN

The free WatchESPN app lets you keep up with your sports anytime, anywhere. Watch live games and studio shows with 24/7 access to ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, ESPNews and ESPN Deportes. You can also watch on-demand clips of the latest news and highlights.

Access to live streaming video from ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3, ESPNU, ESPNews and ESPN Deportes is determined by your TV. The providers below offer access to WatchESPN live video:

- AT&T U-verse

- Bright House Networks

- Charter

- Comcast XFINITY

- Cox

- Midcontinent Communications

- Optimum

- Time Warner Cable

- Verizon FiOS TV

Please check back regularly as new TV providers are added. Access to on-demand highlights and news is available to everyone regardless of provider.

Please check back regularly as new TV providers are added. Access to on-demand highlights and news is available to everyone regardless of provider.

The WatchESPN app offers live streaming access to thousands of games and events on the ESPN networks, including:

- Monday Night Football

- NBA Regular Season and Playoffs

- Major League Baseball

- The Masters, U.S. Open and The Open Championship

- College Football and Basketball

- All four Grand Slam tennis events

Get up-to-the-minute news, highlights and analysis with live streaming of your favorite ESPN shows, including:

- SportsCenter

- PTI

- College GameDay

- Mike & Mike

- SportsNation

- Baseball Tonight

Other popular channels in Sports

How does it work? Do you login with your online credentials or does it just "know" based on where the request is coming from?

How does it work? Do you login with your online credentials or does it just "know" based on where the request is coming from?

You have to log in with any of these providers:

AT&T U-verse

- Bright House Networks

- Charter

- Comcast XFINITY

- Cox

- Optimum

- Time Warner Cable

- Verizon FiOS TV

You have to log in with any of these providers:

AT&T U-verse

- Bright House Networks

- Charter

- Comcast XFINITY

- Cox

- Optimum

- Time Warner Cable

- Verizon FiOS TV
So... I don't pay for cable TV, but my dad does and we both have Cox (insert obvious juvenile joke here). Does that mean I can just use his credentials to use this from my house?

So... I don't pay for cable TV, but my dad does and we both have Cox (insert obvious juvenile joke here). Does that mean I can just use his credentials to use this from my house?

You should be able to. I used to do the same with my parents Charter account on my Apple TV but they switched to Dish so I lost my access. I also do this to use their HBO Go account on my Apple TV. It's a great way for me to keep up with my HBO Series without paying for a separate HBO account at $18 per month. They use my EPIX, Netflix, and MLB.tv accounts on their Roku in exchange. Now if we could get access to a similar Showtime app I would be all set.

I just used the watch ESPN app on my roku. I have AT&T. Not Uverse so I get ESPN3. I only get 6 Mbps but the hd pq is pretty damn good!! Has commercial breaks during replay. :(

You can fast forward through them though :)

Last edited:
Its not going to remain commercial free unfortunately. They are working on adding online only ads to the online broadcasts.

Commercial free isn't that great anyways when we are talking about live broadcasts that are designed to have commercials. MLB.tv doesn't do commercials either and instead you are left with a blue screen saying commercial break in progress for several minutes. I would almost rather have the commercials because at least some of them are entertaining and they give you something to look at besides a slate message.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm surprised that they're that restrictive. As long as you have an ATT-owned IP address, figured they'd give you full access. You just have ATT's non-U-Verse DSL, yes ?

That is the problem right there. You have to have TV service that includes those channels to get everything but ESPN3. AT&T DSL doesn't offer TV services so you don't get any of the channels besides ESPN3.

I have the same issue. Charter is a Watch ESPN provider and they are my ISP. I only use them for internet and get my TV from dish. When I login with my charter credentials it acknowledges my account but only gives me access to ESPN3. ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, etc... are blocked because I don't have a charter account that includes those channels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You should be able to. I used to do the same with my parents Charter account on my Apple TV but they switched to Dish so I lost my access. I also do this to use their HBO Go account on my Apple TV. It's a great way for me to keep up with my HBO Series without paying for a separate HBO account at $18 per month. They use my EPIX, Netflix, and MLB.tv accounts on their Roku in exchange. Now if we could get access to a similar Showtime app I would be all set.
Yeah I LOVE that I can use my dad's HBO access for HBO GO, which I feel is a much better deal than paying for HBO anyways, although I do have one major complaint: What the hell happened to the Ricky Gervais Show!? I used to love watching that for a quick laugh and now it's gone!

Anyways it's nice to know that I'm still not paying for cable TV (I get free basic cable through the internet feed) and now I get even more ESPN stations than I would if I WERE paying for basic.

Sooner or later... broadcasters like HBO and ESPN are going to dump the middle men and sell their online services directly to the customer. No more BS with contract negotiations etc and the end users get a better deal.

You heard it here first folks..

Cheers, K

Sooner or later... broadcasters like HBO and ESPN are going to dump the middle men and sell their online services directly to the customer. No more BS with contract negotiations etc and the end users get a better deal.

You heard it here first folks..

Cheers, K

You do have to wonder why they aren't doing so now. Billing and authorization software isn't exactly rocket science. They could probably buy an existing system and make very few tweaks.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Its not going to remain commercial free unfortunately. They are working on adding online only ads to the online broadcasts.

If they're going to make ads unavoidable, they ought to at least crawl in to the 21st century and let us customize the ads delivered. Say, give us a list of 30 categories and we can pick X number of them NOT to see. That way we aren't bothered with ads that don't apply to us (such as feminine hygiene). Advertisers would probably pony up a bit more for being delivered a more targeted audience. Of course, I'm sure political ads will be greyest out so we can't avoid them. <sigh>

While they're at it, they might as well add click thru and bookmarking.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Had the latest generation of D* receivers come out already I would have been long gone.

I tried the local cable offerings for a free month a few months ago and it wasn't a good experience for me so I dumped them. Now, they're starting to add new HD programming (including PBS and CBS) and have sent me another offer for their top package at $59.99 p/mo for a year with an additional $5 off p/mo on my cable internet (after a year the package goes up at least $25 p/mo). Problem is, I hate them :x

Last night's chat has left me feeling frustrated because I've been chomping at the bit for HD for so long. Now, if I want HD w/E* I have to spend $200 for the 6000U, an antiquated and slow box that doesn't have RF pass through, which is an important issue for me. In 2 (?) months it'll be relegated to my closet that contains a 4900 receiver already (anybody want to buy a 4900?). I can't imagine the 6000U having much resale value at that point.
Then, I'll have to buy another receiver, the 811, or if they offer a knock your socks off deal for current subs, the 921. If I purchase the 6000U now, will they give me the Super Dish upgrade for free when it comes out? Can I order the 6000U &amp; free Super Dish now?
I still have to wait another month to hopefully hear definitive word on the new packages which may still be delayed or difficult to acquire in a timely fashion due to availability problems and lack of qualified installers for the dish. Will switch upgrades be part of the install?
Lots of questions and at least a month for possible answers followed by even more time waiting for realization of my desires. Yes, frustrating and confusing. What to do?

Wonder why they don't just keep the broadcast ads

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts