Watch Local Retailers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

andrewj0781

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Feb 28, 2009
Altoona, Pennsylvania, United States
Just want to warn people to double check what local retailers tell you. When I signed up in August, they told me not to get the protection plan because we charge $15.00 to come out and it's cheaper then paying $5.99 a month. So that's what I decided to do.

Now that I'm having 771 error and needed a tech to come out I told Directv that I'll use my local retailer. So when I called them up here it's $15.00 for just 15 minutes and since rebooting the swim fixed it I said I'd call back if I had the issue again.

So today my system is still doing the 771 searching for satellite. So I called Directv and was told they charge $49.99 to come out or I can get the protection plan for $5.99 a month and pay nothing for a visit and I get 31 days free and I have to keep it for a year. So I went with the protection plan so I don't have to pay anything for tomorrows tech visit.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

So you have to keep the protection plan for a year @ $5.99 mo. Or around $72 yr.
Paying $49.99 for the service call seems a better deal unless you plan on having more issues.

I suspect that we need some more data points on the minimum protection plan interval. If it is now 12 months, this will likely do some serious hurt to those who own their receivers.

I don't mean to suggest that the 12 month minimum isn't fair, but many are banking on it being much less.

protection plan can be dropped at any time last I checked. Sounds like you got some bad info

Iceberg said:
protection plan can be dropped at any time last I checked. Sounds like you got some bad info

You CAN drop it at anytime but it's a $10 charge to cancel. It's not a 12 month deal, it is only 10 months. I always tell people if they don't want the PP to add it when the tech is there because that waves the service call charge then cancel in 31 days. You'll pay $15.99 TOTAL for the service call then. It's kind of the loop hole...sorta

soundstation said:
So you have to keep the protection plan for a year @ $5.99 mo. Or around $72 yr.
Paying $49.99 for the service call seems a better deal unless you plan on having more issues.

Well this is my second problem since being hooked up in August of 2011. That service call fell under the 90 day warranty so my odds are better to keep the protection plan.

andrewj0781 said:
The agent said I had to keep it for a year maybe they lie to you so you don't cancel it.

You have to keep it an X amount of months or be charged $10 to cancel it

From the T&Cs of the DIRECTV Protection Plan:
Protection Plan said:
While this Plan may be canceled by you for any reason, an administrative fee of ten dollars ($10.00) will be assessed if the Plan is cancelled during the first year of coverage.

andrewj0781 said:
That's what I was thinking. He was so against me getting it on sign up.

It's odd though, you get a commission on seeking the protection plan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts