We are back!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Like the new look. Bigger text is easier on my old eyes. And I love the big buttons at the bottom to select the pages. I wish all forum would make these bigger. It's hard to hit those little (what 8 points) page numbers.

Howdy everyone!

As you can see I put a lot of work into our new look and judging by the feedback most folks are happy with it. As I said when I announced the upgrade here a few weeks ago that Rome was not built in a day... and I think that was true for our new SatelliteGuys look as well!

I understand nobody likes change but this was a move we had to make, to be honest I was trying to hold off making this move

Besides polishing the new SatelliteGuys look I also added 4 new styles as well for those of you folks who want something different. :)
The new styles are...
SatelliteGuys Black
SatelliteGuys Blue
SatelliteGuys Red
SatelliteGuys Green

So for now I think I am done making changes to the looks. The new software has been installed however many of the new vBulletin 4 features and settings have not been configured yet. This is something I will be working on over the next few weeks.

Thank you guys for your support and feedback the past few days!

It's good to have some substance added back in to the visuals of the forum. Immediately post-upgrade things looked too white and seemed to lack structure which actually made it difficult to track between posts. The new changes (adding in some gray depth) are really making things better.

For those of you who want to show off your XBOX Live Gamercard, you once again can do it!

Unfortunately we can't have the gamer cards in your signatures anymore but you can show them off in your user profile!

To have yours shown just go to Settings then User Profile and look for the box that asks for your XBOX Live ID. Once you have that filled out your XBOX Live gamer card will appear automatically in your user profile. You can see what it looks like in my profile.

If you have the old [xbl]username[/xbl] in your profile please remove it since it no longer works... thanks!

I Like the new look. Bigger text is easier on my old eyes. And I love the big buttons at the bottom to select the pages. I wish all forum would make these bigger. It's hard to hit those little (what 8 points) page numbers.

Mark,

on most web browsers, just hitting Ctrl+"+" a few times can upsize your fonts to whatever is easiest for you to read. This works almost everywhere, but is especially useful for Forums where you spend a lot of time reading.

Use Ctrl-"-" if you overshoot.

- Tim

Last edited:
I like that light blue background area now. It provides some separation between the poster info and the actual post.

Super job, Scott. Thanks for all the improvements (and the options). I agree with Kevin's comments, and think it's a big improvement, and now looks great. No complaints here.

- Tim

The only new posts that excludes hidden forums correctly is the one on the nav bar.

I have been trying without success from hiding your excluded forums from all searches.

Scott,

Thanks for the upgrade. I know you are expending a lot of time and energy and work to get it revamped, for that I am very appreciative.

I am sure that it will be a little "buggy" for a time until everything is indexed and updated, but I think I like it.

FYI: I am having some difficulties with the login and password entry boxes. They don't seem to be very responsive to my entries. It is like the system is not paying attention to my keystrokes. Maybe the site (forum login area/page) just isn't loading on my PC as fast as it used to. This could be a problem on my end, but it seems that other sites are operating just fine and the same as they always did before. It is only here that I have noticed a difference.

I also noticed that often the indication that I have replied to a post is not updating properly. I know that I have responded, but the indicator showing that I have is not showing up. This seems to be intermittent. About 40% of the time, it is failing to show that I replied.

The old format seemed much easier to use regarding managing attachments. Maybe I just need to get used to the new, but is sure seems like there are additional steps to go through and it doesn't seem to be very explicit (instruction or navigation wise).

Overall, I have no major complaints and the information above is merely for constructive criticism and feedback. I wanted to inform you of the behaviors I have detected so that you can address them if necessary and as necessary.

Thanks for your hard work and time to maintain this site, Scott! It is the very best! I am a member of other forums, many related to FTA satellite TV and some for other hobbies. None of them are better operated, maintained or as easy to navigate than Satelliteguys.us! We as members may take a lot of the hard work you do for granted, since we don't really know what is going on behind the scenes and we get wrapped up in the threads. But, trust me, what you are doing reflects very well on your management, organizational and maintenance skills regarding this forum. Please keep it up and thanks again!

Gordy

I haven't heard any issues on the login box... but I have heard some issues on java... at the moment the java for the site is being served by Yahoo, and I am starting to wonder if thats causing an issue. (I turned that on and figured it would save us $$$ on bandwidth bills if we let Yahoo host the Java since vbulletin has their java hosted with Yahoo.

I may turn it off and host the java here like we use to before the upgrade and see if that makes a different.

The login box is the default vBulletin login box except for the pictures in the box. :)

As far as the replies go, that can be one or two things cann think of...

1) In the new software I turned off the no caching option, so now the pages and images are stored in your cache on your PC. And they will stay cached for awhile on your PC. I have noticed this caching has messed with the new threads on the homepage, When I see them and then go back later it still shows the same threads as being the last new posts, even though I know there have been posts since then.

2) vBulletin only updates some of the counters such as thread views, attachment views etc every so many minutes instead of instantly to help cut down on the server load.

I am thinking that is is number 1 to be honest with you... and I think I am going to change that now and see if that helps things... infact I am going to change the java as well to be coming from our server instead of Yahoo and see what it does to our server. :)

Thanks for your comments an input, while I know I can't please everyone my goal is to make as many people happy as possible. We want you back again and again. It makes me proud that so many people come here every day for their satellite and technology fix...

BTW I should note that since doing the upgrade things have picked up around here by almost 20%, posts, users activity, users online etc. Its a very positive step... in addition (and I haven't looked in a few months) but we are serving over 1.1 million hits a day now!

Ok those changes have been made now.

It might take awhile for your computer to fully download the changes, but once the cache on your PC refreshes all the vBulletin java should come from our servers instead of Google (I thought I had it set to Yahoo to serve them but it was set to Google.) and also pages shoud no longer cache on your PC... so when you load a page the page you see is the most current and not something from your cache. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts