We FTA'ers are an interesting group

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So glad I don't have to deal with Icebergs #10>the rooftops don't bother me at all. But I haven't developed my non-fear of heights to the point of climbing more than 20' on a tower yet. Maybe I won't ever have to, lol. (Wasn't it Maxwell Smart who said "It's not the fall I'm worried about-it's that sudden stop at the end!"

#47: You see that your town has been placed under a severe thunderstorm watch, and your first concern is rain fade.

#48: On a winter day, as you climb the ladder to your sloped roof, you notice the snow and ice up there, but keep climbing anyway. (true story)

WEC4104 said:
#48: On a winter day, as you climb the ladder to your sloped roof, you notice the snow and ice up there, but keep climbing anyway. (true story)

true here too...Had to swap a LNB on the mototrized and we had just got 6+ inches of heavy wet snow. Used the snow rake to get the snow around the dish off the roof, then climbed up with a couple 5 gallon buckets of hot water to melt the snow that stayed on the roof. Then climbed up and swapped LNB and prayed that water didnt freeze quickly (it didn't) :)

Trying to explain to the wife how that small dish in the back yard must have grown up to be 90 cm because of the rain we had last night.

nah. I would have just skidded down the roof and hoped my feet could get the ladder quick enough :)

One more to add, somewhat inspired by another thread:

-We will go out and climb on the roof, skew the LNB correctly, stand there with a meter to realign the dish, check for problems in the cable, trim a tree, download a new slew of codecs and even consider getting a better graphics card.

We will do all of this so we can watch Home Shopping. In HD.

You know your an FTA'er When...

1. You rushed outside and climb 20 feet to brush the snow off your of your dish.
2. You watched the Russian Version of "Who wants to be a millionare?"
3. Lyngsat.com is your homepage.
4. You know everyone on this forum like there your freind.
5. Youl spend an hour just to peak the signal on your dish.
6. Your Girlfriend/Wife looks at you and your hobby and thinks your nuts.
7. You watched an Arabian Music Video.
8. You had an FTA receiver before they had blind scan.
9. You've gone over 200 miles just to get another satellite dish to add to your "collection"
10. You blind scan satellites everyday just to see if a new channel is on.

Last edited:
I was watching a Chinese channel for quite a while today. Don't have the foggiest idea of what it was about. Every now and then, though, music would play and it was Edvard Grieg's "Peer Gynt Suite" . Funny how a Chinese channel would have Norwegian music, but somehow reassuring.
:)

You watch the News from middle eastern countries in languages you do not understand and you look to your wife and say, "isn't this amazing"?

1. been there done that
2. nope..but seen other Russian things
3. hell no..this is :D
4. yep. even know some people better than they think we do
5. nah. not that long now...can do it in 2 minutes
6. nope. no gf/wife :D
7. have you seen some of those videos ;)
8. yep. 1st box was 10 transponder entry (not 10 satellite....10 transponder....still have it)
9. roundtrip? yep
10. not every day but close

You know what The List! is and that it sure the heck ain't a grocery shopping list.
You land yourself on a proxy server at work since you visit http://satelliteguys.us too much on work hours
You yearn to get a new satellite box just so that you won't lose rtn stations once Equity changes to the new s2
You've logged on to these forums after Midnight...

my first receiver was a coship 3188A with no blind scan. You had to manually enter everything with the ergonomically derranged remote. Bought a 4x1 diseqc switch when they were over 40.00 to find the coship wouldn't control it.

Need to add my wife to the hall of fame:
She has gone with me on 800 miles of trips to help me load the C-Band dishes on the the trailer and inside the motor home, and the pile of C-band parts and the 9 KU dishes inside the motorhome so nothing would get lost or damaged. The beds were loaded so she could not lay down for a nap. AND she fixed enough food to feed two families, even though only two members showed up. --- And she is willing to do it again --- and wants to know when we are going to find people who need help with their CHRISTIAN television.

Oh, yes, she also is a ham radio operator!
POP

ice my neighbor said the exsact same thing to me ,their like my gosh all we do is move that thing day to day and have my wife on the other end of the phone calling out quility signls n levels.so they asked me if they order 1 will i set it up i totaly laughed .i told them im lucky to hit 1 sat that has anything on it lol and he said nowonder im always fiddleing with it

I was asked why I had a hand held radio and why I needed 9 satellite dishes (by the manager of the RV park where we transfered the dishes last week.)
My reply, "I worked at the SnoCo EOC for the DEM. I need these so we can have good DOS for FTA with proper LOS on the Clarke belt."
The look on his face was enough. I did not tell him the two were not related at all, but with all tge acronyms flying around, I just could not pass it up. Besides, he seemed nervous when he asked the question. He said, "OH, OK." I did not start laughing until we were on the road after leaving the park.

Besides, he seemed nervous when he asked the question. He said, "OH, OK." I did not start laughing until we were on the road after leaving the park.

He probably thought you were somehow (don't ask me how) using the dishes to spy on people :rolleyes: That seems to be a common fear that people have about dishes. Handheld radio probably reinforced the fear, LOL...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts