Weather Channel HD Coming ....

RJohn

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Weather Channel Raining Money On HDTV
The channel is spending "tens of millions" on fall high-def launch.

That's according to an article in Broadcasting & Cable magazine.

Wow.

That sure wasn't on the top of my list for desired HD channels. Of course I'd like to eventually have all my channels HD. :)

Actually I think I'd like both SD and HD versions of all channels so I have the option of not using as much storage space for certain programs. At least until I can get a multi-terabyte DVR. :hungry:

Wow.

That sure wasn't on the top of my list for desired HD channels. Of course I'd like to eventually have all my channels HD. :)

Actually I think I'd like both SD and HD versions of all channels so I have the option of not using as much storage space for certain programs. At least until I can get a multi-terabyte DVR. :hungry:

I can see that, but really, how often would you dvr the weather channel?:p

I really like the idea of having the weather in HD. It makes the graphs and radars easier to see and am looking forward to their enhancements they are bringing.

Hmmm... I hope this doesn't happen until summer on E*. I really don't need to be depressed in HD with the weather in my area! :(

Hmm..

Watching Jim Cantore get blown away in the next HD hurricane should be interesting.

I hope E* picks this up. The only thing I have heard is D* has an agreement in place to carry it.

Not like I watch the Weather Channel very much, esp since our local CBS station does its news in HD, but I would rather watch in HD than SD. In fact, I usually leave my guide set on HD only, so I never think about watching SD channels. And if others are doing the same, that might be exactly what is driving more and more networks to the HD conversion. Bring em on baby!

Hmm I can picture it now, those guys down in hurricane force winds, waist deep water....yelling into the Mic because of all the noise reporting in the storm.......all in HD! Woo Woo!

That's when it will really pay off!

Except that under extreme conditions, with dim lighting and the camera being blown around, you are likely to see a great deal of macroblocking, with the resultant image potentially being worse than SD.

They do have storm stories and the such now and I have seen a demand for this channel so there are more people that watch it a bit than you think. The weather is probably more violent than what it used to be and it affects more people than it used to.

One of my goals in life is to not become someone who regularly watches the Weather Channel 3-4 hours a night. Although I guess that would be better than someone who watches "E!" 3-4 hours a night, or the TV Guide channel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)