Please reply by conversation.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Some of the operatives at Weather Channel and DirecTV have asked us to collect feedback, suggestions, and problem reports regarding the new local content on channel 362 SD.

With that said, this thread is to be ONLY constructive feedback, problem reports, or suggestions (not-repetitive).

Do not post these, which everyone has already agreed:
Two improvements everyone suggests:
  • Add it to the HD channel (This is being worked on with no ETA).
  • A more localized (state) radar image, possibly with animation.
That said, don't post those.

Your feedback will be forwarded directly to the indvidiuals working on this project with Weather Channel and DirecTV.

This thread will be moderated, please consider the requests above.

Thanks again to Sundude90 for establishing communication for this program.

On my HR20-700 there is a delay on the weather on the 8's starting up, I get a fe seconds of the national forcast before it switches over.

I would be nice if it continued to work if trickplay has been used so the weather on the 8's isn't in real time.

Radar Maps should be Zoomed in closer to the local area being view. Detailed TEXT on the forcast for the next 36-48 hours , Not just a bunch of pictures with clouds. I can get that from my local newspaper.

Aside from being shown in hd and moving radar. Text with the 8s.

1. Please add many more maps from weather.com (there web page).

If you look at there web site they have about 50 different static weather maps.

There has to be a couple of more good ones that they could add.

Add things like

The Sat Image
The Sat Radar image
The frontal boundaries image
The predictive bad weather image (moderate risk)
Hurricane maps.
Also please add the Hour by Hour Temp Forecast

ect

2. Please add a ZOOM feature so I can zoom in on a radar or map.

3. Please add a Tab for Weather statements from the NOAA

- Short term forcast
- Bad Weather outlook
- Text forecast

4. Please add a a State wide Warnings map. I cant see the county warnings very good when its combined with the weather radar map.

5. Please add Storm Tracking lines on the Weather radar page so I can see where the storms are headed. This is an option to help with the lack of animated radar pages.

6. Please add Hi res full screen web pages downloaded from from the Internet and cached on the hard drive for instant loading if the DVR is connected to the internet.

Last edited:
Since the local on the 8's is based on your ZIP code, it would be helpful to show current conditions (weather, temp, wind, etc.) from nearby cities, not just your location. For example, a Boston viewer might see conditions from nearby cities of Worcester, Providence, Hartford, Manchester, Hyannis, etc. Also, I am in agreement that a text forecast would be far more informative than the icon forecast.

Also, the cable version of Local on the 8's shows the current conditions for your area on the bottom of the screen. Something like this would be a fantastic addition to the DirecTV version. Right now, national cities current conditions are on the bottom of the screen. With this new feature, maybe it would be possible for the local conditions to be shown.

add wind speed + gusts to active page

the chicago area is poorly placed on the radar map and you have look at it's region + the one on top of it to see what is coming.

The radar image for Iowa needs to be adjusted so that the entire state is included, right now, the radar image looks like it's based out of Oklahoma City.

The interactive feature (Red button) works just fine for me.

However, Local on the 8's is a no go. Just the national forecasts. Sat thru Abrams and Bettes for nearly an hour waiting for my locals to show up. No Joy.

At first, the Local on the 8s worked fine on every receiver I tried. Last night, it was not coming up automatically on my HR20-100 or H20-600, but was still working great on my R22-200.

Also, they must be going by DMA. The towns that they give for conditions are in the adjoining state where my local channels come from, not very close to me (I have a NOAA weather station about 30 air miles from me.) I wish they could use my closest weather station.

I do like the feature, though.

living in a state prone for hurricanes and tropical storms, i'm curious if they have thought of a way that we can access local severe weather alerts. perhaps, when you push the red button for a quick update? only problem with that is you might miss the warning.

obviously, many people have weather alert radios but many don't.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)