Weather Channel Local Content Feedback

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Generally just make the presentation look more like what cable has (unfortunately I don't have Comcast here to take screenshots for comparison, but I assume the layout is pretty much identical nationwide at least for locales using the newest Weatherstar - better graphics, more information, and it would also be nice if it said your town rather than the zip at the top). As I said in the other thread it's a step in the right direction, but it is several years behind what Local on the 8's looks like on cable, and I think they can continue to move in that direction :)

The service works great on my R22-100.

The three changes that I would like to see to the service are:

1. Replace the zip code with the name of my city.
2. Add more info to the forecast other than graphics only.
3. Slow down the speed alittle. Each screen comes up fairly quicly for me and I end up missing some info.

Other than that, and the two points posted already by Crandall, I like the feature alot.
Good Job DTV/TWC.

One, thing. Instead of showing the zipcode on the actual app, can we display the city name. In the setup screen you would still enter your zip for your location, but when the application pops up on the 8's can it say Your local weather for Manteno, IL instead of Your local weather for 60950

Local on the 8's is a welcome feature. It is one thing I have missed since leaving cable tv. However I agree with with several comments in above posts.
My suggestions are:
1. Screens move too fast - add another second or two to each screen.
2. Show more detailed text rather than graphics.
3. Cable has additional info such as traffic conditions. This would be a nice addition.
4. I noticed if you tune to the SD channel right as the local on the 8's are starting. There is a several second delay for Directv interactive to activate to show the local information. Not sure if there is a way to improve this.
5. Adding this feature to the HD channel would be great. Showing the SD duplicates is kind of annoying, but I'm doing it.

I do get the Local on the 8s but I have to tune in a couple mins before to get it to show up. It has not shown up every time since Thursday. It seems to be somewhat random and based on not tuning in when it starts.

As with others, adjust the speed of the screens to allow for more reading time, and also add local weather warning to the screen when available. The other suggestion that I would have is to make sure that the screen with the forcasts for surrounding cities have the cities that are closest to the market that you have identified as your location.

I entered my zipcode for Greeneville, TN (37745). When it displayed the weather for surrounding cities, the closet city that it listed was for Bristol TN/VA. Other cities were cities such as Williamsburg, VA, Washington DC and Richmond, VA. All of these are 5-6 hrs away, further away from me than closer cities such as Johnson City, TN, Knoxville and even Nashville. Reviewing the cities listed for this screen would be very helpful.

In central Florida this feature began working several days ago. I was away for Friday and Saturday and now it doesn't load automatically anymore. I just get the prompt for the red button which brings up the screen similar to the one on Active. What happened? I don't see many comments on this. Is it just sporadic or are they messing with it? I had previously had it work on HR20-700 and H20-100... now nothing!

Sorry guys, I don't know what you all are talking about. I live in CT and still have the same old national useless stuff I have always had.

Trouble?...

Local on the 8s doesn't appear to be loading / coming up anymore...just the generic national feed. Glitches or fine tuning perhaps.

Local on the 8s doesn't appear to be loading / coming up anymore...just the generic national feed. Glitches or fine tuning perhaps.

Same thing with me. The automatic Local on the 8's was loading yesterday morning and afternoon but stopped loading last night and is not loading this morning. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

Same here in Florida... not working yesterday and late last night, but this morning it started loading automatically again... using the El Segundo, CA zip. I entered my local zip about an hour ago and so far it is working correctly. For those of you who haven't seen this work yet, you do not have to press the red button or do anything, it starts up without any action on your part. If you need to change the zip, press the red button on the SD channel (during the local on 8s) and you will see a box to change local zip.

I noticed I had to tune to TWC roughly 5 minutes before the scheduled LO8s just so I can get the feature to show up. If you tune in to TWC any sooner, it doesn't show up. I suspect you have to get the TWC red/green button prompt before you can see the LO8.

I also would like to see conditions/forecasts of nearby cities/towns in addition to the regional conditions/forecasts.

A lower display line similar to what cable viewers get would also be nice.

I'd also like to see weather warnings in addition to weather watches.

A more localized radar would suffice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)