Weather on the 8's live

I told people that they were going to get local's on the 8's like cable does. I will never believe things like this anymore to tell people. I dont want a bunch of people angry at me. Sounds like another flop for Dish. Either that or they could not get their act together to get a full launch when they were supposed to. What a disapointment.
h-e-l-l-o You have been an e* sub for how many years?? You should have known they were going to pull a stunt like this!!

What I'd like to see on channel 100 weather is rain chances.They could do this.For example they could put 50% under the cloud symbol.I was hoping we would get the cable version of this for the text forcast.I'm hoping the CSR was guessing and it's still possible that we will get the cable version anyway I think they have stopped testing so I can conclude that this might have been delayed again.There has been no announcement from dish to this website yet.It was suppose to come out in July.I'm guessing they found more glitches.

It was suppose to debut in October 2006...

ad from Dish Magazine, October 2006, inside back cover

Attachments

• Weather on the 8s.jpg
    Weather on the 8s.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 159
Apparently its never went live and is no longer in test. Perhaps working on some of the bugs before officially releasing.

ad from Dish Magazine, October 2006, inside back cover
How comical! Telling people about new features through magazines a year before it goes live! What will they think, of next?
-----
By the way, I have conspiracy theory: Scott said that the hold-up was about EAS (which is required on the NATIONAL level now by E* AND D*). When they did the test, there was no tone or voice, or anything of the sort. Either the no-tone or something else was a glitch delaying this, or that test was actually a sign that E* is ditching Local on the 8's (switching straight to an alert feed, and not giving info. digitally like iTV) and just broadcasting NATIONAL alerts (which unless DC gets bombed, there will be no use for). And then, of course there is the trouble exiting out of these tests...
Just speculating, of course. Any new(s)?

I remember getting into this argument in November. Everyone was saying that there would be this great weather package on the 8's and I said it would be what was just launched on channel 100. People kept waiting and waiting and waiting and I was like.......That is IT. That POS application is the extent of it........I think I even made a few "clever" Duke Nukem vaporware references....

I was mocked then.....I feel semi-vindicated 8 months later as nothing has come to fruition beyond an occasional test button to launch the useless crap on channel 100 ;)

I remember getting into this argument in November. Everyone was saying that there would be this great weather package on the 8's and I said it would be what was just launched on channel 100. People kept waiting and waiting and waiting and I was like.......That is IT. That POS application is the extent of it........I think I even made a few "clever" Duke Nukem vaporware references....

I was mocked then.....I feel semi-vindicated 8 months later as nothing has come to fruition beyond an occasional test button to launch the useless crap on channel 100 ;)

The important thing beyond the channel 100 feature, is the weather alerts.

The important thing beyond the channel 100 feature, is the weather alerts.
That's two entirely different and unrelated things. The EAS portion Dish had to do/provide. The so-called "weather on the 8s" is a feature they started tooting their horn about 6+ months ago.

The Weather Alerts is a very informant feature that is tied together with cable version (Comcast Paducah) on the eights. The cable version displays watches/warnings on the first page of the local weather. I haven't notice any watches or warnings display on the dish system.

If you test something and it works, then you release it. If you test it and there's issues, well... "it doesn't work yet". :)

*bump*

Slightly off-topic, but relevant, nonetheless. I've noticed that CNN now has an interactive trigger to go to their iTV app. It's a continuous trigger, btw, not just every 10 min... That makes channels 117, 200, and 405 wired for press-select-iTV. It took almost no time for TV Guide to get their trigger working, so if the Weather Channel's trigger is STILL not working, perhaps, just maybe, they DO have something up their sleeves that they think we don't know about...

Atlanta Locals

New here and to dish net and have a couple questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)