weird ota problem

jellison1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 28, 2004
lexington ,SC
i am a voom installer.... am trying to help a customer of another installer...
want to see if anyone else has seen this problem before....customer is less than 20 miles from tower.. all locals have mapped but gets no signal on stb..
when we hook stealth to tv antenna in gets perfect picture.. even from a tower over 50 miles away ...but nothing on stb... called voom and their tech support is clueless

I posted this in the install thread yesterday...

I had Voom installed this past Tuesday. The install was smooth with the exception of scheduling. He was scheduled to be at my house between 12PM and 5PM. He showed up at 5:30. Two hours later the dish and antenna were installed. I have been impressed with the HD quality so far, but the guide information didn't fully come in until yesterday afternoon. I did notice that the STB was updated last night to 05.68, and the receiver seems much more stable.

Two issues I hope someone can shed some light on are, my local channels and satellite signal strength. My local channels are not available on the reciever. I can pick them up via my antenna and tuner, but via the voom reciever and antenna the locals are not available. Diplexer was installed. The signal strength for the antenna is zero, so I'm guessing its an install issue. I did try using my antenna on the voom reciever, but still no luck. The installer told me they might appear sometime soon. He probably needs to reappear at my house to fix this problem. The other issue, is my satellite signal is 70 and the quality is 97. I have a clear view. Should the signal strength be higher, or does it matter since the quality is 97?

I'm having the exact same issue. The locals are in my guide, but no signal. Fortunately, I can still pick up the locals through my TV's internal reciever. I called Voom last night and the tech support is sending an installer out to look at the hardware. Their theory is its either the reciever or the diplexor.

we tried changing diplexors ...took diplexors out of line and ran a straight line to module... and still nothing on stb

OK, this seems simple but you know Murphy's Law.

There are quite a few coax connectors on the back of the STB. Have you tried the two on the extreme right (when facing the rear of the box)

jellison1 said:
sorry...
they are connected correctly

If all the connections are fine and the local channels map are fine. The stb and module, you changed as well and it was not a faulty stb or ota module. The antenna points in the correct dirrection. I would say to have VOOM send a hit to the box. Watch the trip count until it gets to 4 and see if that makes a difference. Also, when you tune to local channel what is the signal and power strength for OTA? Are you getting zero or a small number?

zero signal and power for ota .... got a new hit from voom .. and i always wait till trip count is 5 or higher before trying to view programming

jellison1 said:
actually that was wrong signal quality was zero.....signal power was 21347356221

That number '21347356221' of signal power was reported before as being a sign of a bad receiver. I will try to find the post and give you the link. It happened to me and the only thing that resolved it was changing the stb. So have you gotten the same number in both receivers.

I know you may know this but if you are changing the OTA module is a good idea to unplug STB as it may create a short circuit (just to check). I'll find the link.

jellison1 said:
yes i did get same number on both recievers

That's kind of weird that you have two stbs with the same problem. I can only tell you that you may have two bad receivers in your hands. I even emailed Wilt regarding the same problem and could not give me an answer about it. Again, if you find another solution, let us know.

that number seems suspicious, probably the probelm. Seeing the analog picture is a fair way to aim the antenna provided the stations digital and analog are at the same farm, but remember that most of the old analog stations are VHF and the digital equivalents are mostly, though not only, UHF. So the picture can tell you you are pointing in the right direction, but doesn't tell you much about the digital equivalent.

It just sounds like the mapping of the virtual channel to the digital frequeny is incorrect. I really wish they would just let this thing scan for OTA.

i really appreciate you guys trying to help...the only problems i have had installing these things is the ota...the satellite part havent had any problems except bad recievers....if anyone can find out about this problem and let me know i would appreciate it.just trying to get one of your fellow voomers up and running

OTA trouble will be for all companies, they are not used to installing antennas. Been a long time

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)