Welcome New Members! (Please Say HI here!)

Hi...I am an old timer, but a new person at this FTA stuff....I'll be checking out the forums and trying to find out what all I need to get into it. I have some old equipment given to me that I was told was used before they made it to where you could only get signals through a paid subscription (DirectTV or Dishnet), I guess it was pirating or whatever ya'll call it. But I see on here where you guys are able to get some FTA....I guess I am totally confused now; how do I get started? I don't want any thing that is illegal...I have cable for movies, etc...I just want to be able to see NASA and PBS and stuff like that. Can someone point me towards the right forum or give me a link? Thanks in advance.

Hi...I am an old timer, but a new person at this FTA stuff....I'll be checking out the forums and trying to find out what all I need to get into it. I have some old equipment given to me that I was told was used before they made it to where you could only get signals through a paid subscription (DirectTV or Dishnet), I guess it was pirating or whatever ya'll call it. But I see on here where you guys are able to get some FTA....I guess I am totally confused now; how do I get started? I don't want any thing that is illegal...I have cable for movies, etc...I just want to be able to see NASA and PBS and stuff like that. Can someone point me towards the right forum or give me a link? Thanks in advance.

Here you go Rooster, and welcome. We are glad to have you.

New to site

Hi everyone,
I just wanted to drop a line and introduce myself.My name is John and im a bench tech for IDE.I been doing this for a little over a year and find myself almost pulling my hair out with some of these problems that can't be fixed over the phone.So i joined the forums to see what else is out there and maybe find some useful tools I can use.

New to the forum. Very interesting comments throughout. I'm not sure I will be able to offer constructive help, but I enjoy reading the suggestions, complaints and rants. I'm just an old fart that enjoys his tv. I have two reasons for joining this forum. One is the hd on Dish local channels, every evening around 8pm eastern, we lost the hd locals, but can see sd channels ok. This lasts until midnight and sometimes longer. This has been happening for about 5 months. Weve had home visits by "technicians", replaced receivers and cabeling, replaced splitters to no avail. Have talked to Dish advanced tech support and finally just gave up and switch to sd during the time frame of trouble. The other problem is with tv2 . Just started a few days ago. Just get snow. Went thru tech support and advanced tech support, plus steps provided by Dish trouble shooting suggestions. Thanks for listening, Greynoodle!

Here you go Rooster, and welcome. We are glad to have you.

Thanks....I have been surfing this site....but so far just wiping out....lol....there's alot of information to wade through in order to figure out what I need to get. I really want to do everything myself rather than have someone install....I am pretty handy and mechanically inclined...but also on a fixed (retired) budget.

I tried to check out the Geosat Pro DVR 1100c and other things that were on the list that will be given away, but the Geosat website never came up....my computer just ground away waiting for it to load, and finally after 3 attempts gave up on that site. I did visit the WSI site...however, when a person has no clue what they are looking for...it's a bit like Greek.

Any general recommendations on equipment?

Thanks

New & Lost

Hi, I hope to learn a lot about my satilite and entertainment center options. I'm a top notch 30 year automotive tech but I can never seem to figure out my
A/V connections and operations. So I hope with these forums I will become a little more proficient.

I'm having a little trouble searching the forums. I have a D* Network system with a 625 DVR single receiver. I want to move a second tv to another room or possibley add one. Can anyone tell me where to find a cable diagram for this type of hook up and if the system require a special spliter or a standard one?

Thanks,