Welcome New Members! (Please Say HI here!)

elgato said:
I just joined yesterday. I found a lot of good information here. I've been a member of Dish since 1998. Can somebody tell me how to update my information such as adding my location. I see another person from my town here athol massachusetts. Big-Ed

Welcome, just click on the 'Edit Profile' link.

Howdy!

My name's Larry and I just joined today - attracted by the great Vip622 review!

I've had an HDTV for a little over a year. I currently have Comcast cable in the SF-Bay area. I got frustrated with Comcast when they took away my ESPN-HD channel and told me I had to sign up for a digital package now if I wanted it. Their prices are getting out of hand.

Anyway, I read about the new Dish HD channels and signed up for a Vip622 2 days ago! Yee-hah. Never had Satellite before so I'm a bit nervous.

The biggest downside I see is that I currently use Windows Media Center Edition to record both OTA HDTV and analog cable, but now I guess I won't be able to record SD channels on my Media Center if I want to also watch TV in my bedroom...

I'm not quite sure how the TV2 signal gets sent...sounds like it can be put onto the existing coax, so maybe it will work? What if I haven't turned off my Comcast yet - then won't the signal collide?

Anyway, I guess I will learn all this stuff in time...can't wait...install scheduled for 3/12 !

- Larry

hi everyone

Hi my name is Raymond and from Doune in central scotland.I am a v-sat installer with experience in Directway,Gilat ,I direct and Skystar systems.Also experience of TVRO systems all over europe.Came accross your forum when looking for some info and thorght i would registar and say hello.
Also any jobs going in a warmer climate as Scotland is a bit wild and windy at this time of year.
Anyway hello from the highlands:D

Hi everyone Canada here, signed up yesterday for this site. i have had cable and sat since about 1981 when the bud was running, missed alot of sat when it went down , now have bell expressVu. no pay per view though. well hope all say hito me here.

Hello all. I'm new here. I will say something that may be missconstrued. It is a rule here not to have any Hack talk. I must object on behalf of many of us Hackers. It must be understood that a Hacker is not a thief or a criminal. Some of us do it for a living to expose network vulnerabilities and create a more secure system. A true Hacker is a researcher and a technological guru. We have no interest in stealing although we are quite capable, but we enforce the laws and regulations by eliminating it's frailties and weaknesses. Crackers however, break the law by cracking codes and distributing them illegally. There are bad hackers out there unfortunately that give the tittle "HACKER" a bad name.

Thanks for listening.

Electron_5,

Might I add, your (incorrect) use of the word hacker belies your statement. That (mis)use is reserved for Hollywood movies.

What you refer to is a 'cracker' (in most cases, more like 'script kiddie'), not a hacker.

A hacker has _nothing_ to do with breaking into systems, for whitehat or blackhat reasons (again, unless you're in a Hollywood movie).

Last edited:
Welcome to all 1000 new members who joined our foum in the past 10 days!
:welcome

Hello all,

I just joined today and am a rookie when it comes to FTA boxes. My dad gave me a dish and coolsat 4000 for Christmas (he knows a lot more than I do about this stuff), so I hope to learn more about my equipment and get answers to my questions without constantly calling and bugging him.

rapodaca said:
Hello all,

I just joined today and am a rookie when it comes to FTA boxes. My dad gave me a dish and coolsat 4000 for Christmas (he knows a lot more than I do about this stuff), so I hope to learn more about my equipment and get answers to my questions without constantly calling and bugging him.

Welcome, you came to the right place, one thing though, I'll wager you would not be bugging your dad at all, it may be one of the reasons he got the setup for you in the first place, good way to bond. :)

Good luck.

Howdy guys and gals from North Carolina. Joined here a few months ago. Just digging around trying to learn some stuff about the h20 and the AT9 as far as hooking it up and if I can use my existing multiswitch and cables. Currently have a h10 with 3lnb setup. Seem like some knowlegable folks here.
thumbup.gif

Jockey

hello everyone it's hardpres2 i'm very new at this and thinking about getting a pansat 3500s or 3500sd. which one is the best and will any one be able to help me get it work. Like i said i'm very new at this.I'm also a big steelers fan and i know everyone love the steelers.:) :) :)

Hi folks, I guess I am one of the 175 that signed up yesterday! I have been lurking around for a while and finding some great information so a big thanks to everyone who has shared thier knowledge! I moved to satellite from cable about 3 years ago and have not looked back, I started with DirectTV but switched to DISH and have for the most part been happy with everything. As usual, I anticipate changes and always (it seems) make a wrong choice as I did with getting a Superdish, I will post a question on it later today. Anyway I am happy to be here!!! Howard

Hi, I'm new

Hello everyone. I live in Canada just west of Detroit.
I originally became interested in satellite in the early 80's with the bud. I was more interested in tuning sats without an IRD but with an Icom IC-r7000 communications receiver between 70Mhz and 1500Mhz . unencrypted digital data services and communications (military/commercial)was my main goal and they were plentyfull. Also the novelty of picking up overseas phone calls was quite interesting. I also enjoyed picking up the downlink on some of the geostationary and polar HRPT weathersats around 1691Mhz for real time satellite pictures, but quickly lost interest when you could just grab them off the internet in the early 90's.
When I moved in the mid 90's I left the bud behind and have been pining for it ever since. I recently built a multi LNB ku dish and another for FTA with a rotor. Also for the past month I have been playing with some OTA HD pci, DVB-S pci cards which are going to live in a mythtv box, so its nice to find a good group of people to share new ideas with.

Some other hobbies include communications, Aviation, Home Automation, Scuba Diving and Mountain Biking.
oh, and I like long walks on the beach too. lol, enough of this
Thanks for the warm welcome
HM

Last edited:
Hi, I'm new to the site and found out about it

while searching for info on the new DirecTV 5-Sat dish. I live in Windber, PA which is in the Johnstown-Altoona DMA #98. Anybody want to take a guess as to when I'll have to start getting ready to have the new dish installed? I've been very impressed by this forum so far!:)

Last edited:
Hello from an FTA Newbie

I am a complete newbie to this satellite stuff, and just *ordered* my first PCI card (Twinhan pv-1025) last night. I've been reading a ton though, and hope to pick up some wild feeds, experiment with some of the newer formats like mpeg4, 4:2:2 and HDTV, and maybe find some data feeds. (Does anyone still send Usenet over satellite?)

I'm also hoping this will appease my girlfriend, so I don't have to pay $50 a month for cable, when we pretty much only watch broadcast network shows and news anyway!

See you in the forums!