Welcome to the Uplink Center!

Anyway to distinguish standard sports channel (SKDL/League Pass/NHL) moves that happen every morning from the "real" moves?

This is a great forum Digi! Thanks for this. Love the idea!

See ya
Tony

Anyway to distinguish standard sports channel (SKDL/League Pass/NHL) moves that happen every morning from the "real" moves?

This is a great forum Digi! Thanks for this. Love the idea!

See ya
Tony

I have some ideas... just need to run them through a few scenarios in my head then put them into code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike123abc
Any way to change the default sorting for just this forum to sort by first post time? That way they stay in order and not jump around as people make comments. Yes I realize there is a time stamp in the title.

Response by digiblur
Excellent idea!

Another possibility - maybe not allow NEW topics in this forum except for the automated ones that you create.

Thanks for your time and dedication! I love it.

Someone may have already suggested this but what you have the automatic uplink reports locked, but still a once a week uplink discussion thread. That way, all discussions are in one place for the week.

Just a thought.

And I have a further request. Can we make these sub-forums of the Dish and Bell forums, rather than linking to them exclusively from the Satelliteguys Exclusives block on the home page?

Someone may have already suggested this but what you have the automatic uplink reports locked, but still a once a week uplink discussion thread. That way, all discussions are in one place for the week.

Again... How about returning it to the format that was evolved over months of discussion of tweaking:

- Uplink Report for the Week of February 18

- Uplink Discussin for the Week of February 18

and have the automated software post the new changes to the Uplink Report thread, rather than create a new thread.

The software creating a new thread for each report is the biggest pain of this whole project (outside of having to go to a separate Forum)....

Again... How about returning it to the format that was evolved over months of discussion of tweaking:

- Uplink Report for the Week of February 18

- Uplink Discussin for the Week of February 18

and have the automated software post the new changes to the Uplink Report thread, rather than create a new thread.

The software creating a new thread for each report is the biggest pain of this whole project (outside of having to go to a separate Forum)....

I think you're overreacting. Most weeks there are only a few uplink reports (outside of the sport changes).

I like the new format. :up

If I had to make any suggestion it might be a link from the Dish Network forum to the Uplink Center forum for those of us who bookmark.

I come from a programming background so I'm trying to think, logically, how you would do that.

Perhaps a string search for "NHL" or "NBA" and not include a record if the move is on the same satellite and the transponder different? Just curious.

Ideally moves with given channel numbers could be filtered out and put in a subforum, perhaps something like "Dish routine RSN moves". Dish only moves the mirrors around right? They do not actually move the streams very much?

... Dish only moves the mirrors around right? They do not actually move the streams very much?
In the case of HD RSNs, they're moving the signal from the parking lot transponder to the overflow transponder as required, to keep active channels at 7 or less per transponder, and then back to the parking lot. In the case of SD feeds, I'm sure the number is higher, but it's still a finite number per transponder.

I think it seems clear from this morning's moves, that we were unaware of how often there are minor, trivial housekeeping moves ! :eek:

PS Despite any criticisms I may make concerning the format of the reporting, please be assured that I do appreciate that - in general - the uplink moves are reported to us. Thanks!

FYI to everyone, There are moves every single day. They have to do with realigning the SKDL channels with the sports alternate, league sports, and HD RSN channels. All of those channels are really mirrors of the SKDLs. This is why on the Dish Channel Chart on the EKB a lot of the 400 and 500 range channels simply have "***" under the transponder and satellite info. They change constantly!

See ya
Tony

FYI to everyone, There are moves every single day. .... They change constantly!

Yet more reason to have a structure of:

- Uplink Reports Week of Feb 18 2008 Thread

with the automated software posting changes as posts to the existing thread.

I'm not sure what everyone else has to do, but for each individual thread, I have to:

- Click on thread title
- Wait for thread to display
- Scroll through posts
- Click on Forum title
- Wait for Forum to display

Five things for each thread, and there about a dozen threads already. So sixty things to perform.

If the automated software posts a new message to the existing thread, I don't have to do any of those 60 things.

Digi, would it be possible to have a complete weekly auto creation of what channel exist on what transponders? The reason i ask is that while we see all of these moves occuring, I am wondering what the bigger picture is. Are these moves clearing space on other transponders, if so where. I think this would be a useful tool to have. I would love to know as of know what transponders are free etc.