Well I should be getting my new 30" dish..

GeneWildershair

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 28, 2004
Bay Area
and new STB sometime this morning between 8, and 11. it's 9:49 here now and I'm still waiting for the installers arrival. I will report back after everything is done. Maybe throw up a few picks of this giant dish. I wish it were gonna rain later tonight so I could check the rain fade issue I have been having.

well right now my signals are quality: 96, power: 76 /snr: 15 and my skies are pretty clear. A little windy out, but everything looks good out there.

help..

the installers can't get signal with this 30" , they can get a power of 90, but no quality signal? Those with 30" dishes, what are they doing wrong?

I was told Monday evening of this past week, after complaining about completely losing signal for hours even during light drizzle, that I was going to get a 30" dish installed today. After not receving a confirmation from the installer I called back yesterday and the CSR said that I have not been approved. I told her its funny the CSR I spoke with Monday night said it was approved. Now I was told I'll have to wait 24 to 48 hrs to hear whether or not they've approved a larger one. I posted to the Voom Yahoo group and Wilt, the CEO as I understand, said he would check into it. I received a call and and e-mail from installs saying they were coming out Monday to check everything. This will be the third time, and still no larger dish is coming. Wilt also told me that a larger dish is extremely difficult to aim. This is becoming frustrating. Good luck with your situation.

GeneWildershair said:
the installers can't get signal with this 30" , they can get a power of 90, but no quality signal? Those with 30" dishes, what are they doing wrong?
Your just snakebit JAY...lmao sorry jkn do they even have a signal meter? pointing it in the same direction, mounted in the same place how could they not get a signal?

Your signal readings are very good, wonder if they get the 30 inch dish working will they go up??can't see how it goes down

some drizzle out here in the deserts of southern cali-no fade thus far with my 18" dish-looking good at this time-have had rain fade before though with heavier rains

vurbano said:
Your just snakebit JAY...lmao sorry jkn do they even have a signal meter? pointing it in the same direction, mounted in the same place how could they not get a signal?

Vurbano, you laugh, but it's true. my luck with VOOM, and installs inc. hasn't been the worst, but it has been pretty bad at times. But with all the negative I throw upon VOOM, I have to also add that I really do like VOOM a lot, and wouldn't go thru messes like this and decide to keep going with them if I didn't. First let me tell you why I called these guys rude. I don't know if you ever read my post on a "service call experience", but these are the same guys that came out the last time. A huge man, and his little nephew. They were rude then, and even ruder this time. The moment they step foot in my home, the first words the guy says "I don't appreciate how you lied to me the last time I was here about the diplexors being a problem with VOOM. My boss is in very close contact with VOOM, and says there is no known issues with installing these diplexors!" He also said that rain fade isn't an issue either, and doesn't understand why I would want to put a big Ol' dish up on the roof instead of the more attractive 18" dish. He stated that "all these problems were just rumors started on some website by people who want to see VOOM fail." Well I argued with the guy and told him to just do what he was here to do, and that I have the rain fade issue. He first started out again by flipping thru the channels looking at all the "gorgeous HD" as he kept calling it, as he got inot several programs while flipping. I was happily taken away form the scene by a phone call in the next room. Upon returning I found that the installer had set up the new STB. he was checking it out flipping thru channels and I still noticed the black "no signal" screen popping up at times when he was flipping by the way. getting back to the story here, I didn't see his nephew until looking into my back yard where he was putting together this HUGE dish. I was really surprised at the size of it! The big man then shows me that he has installed the new STB, and asked if I noticed a difference with channel changes. I said no, as I saw the same "no signal" issues I saw with the old. He also said he has seen this with every install he's ever done with VOOM, and said that VOOM is still a young company and things will get better. So I guess it wasn't just my old, or new STB that has this problem! Ok here's were the guys start getting rude again. While up on the roof the big man starts attaching the mount to the roof, and then yells down to his nephew to get him some tools he needed from his truck. This went on for awhile, and the yelling got progressively worse. Now I have my 3 young boys at home with me today, and they were quite startled at the way the man kept yelling really meanly at his nephew, even going so far as stuff like "are you that stupid Kyle, get your sh*t together!" At one point I looked into the back yard, and saw the nephew pretending to be a storm trooper holding one of my sons Star wars guns, and blasting away! :rolleyes: I could understand the man's frustrations with the boy, but he really didn't need to be cussing very loudly in front of my children. That is just not professional! The nephew was then ordered inside by the man, and told to watch the signal meter screen, and yell back to him what it was at. Well they could never get a blip on the quality signal, but got as high as 90 for power. they tried for a total of maybe 5 minutes, and decided it wouldn't work, and just put the old 18" back on. I tried calling VOOM to see if they knew of anything the installer could be doing wrong, but they couldn't help :( . When they finally get all their stuff in their truck, the man, and his nephew come back in, and start writing out some paper work for me to sign. While doing so he must of sat here for a good 15 minutes just watching "Risky Business", where there was nudity shown, and my children were in and out of the room. I told him to give the remote so I could turn the channel, and I thought thatit was very inappropriate for him to leave it on such a movie in front of my kids! He apologized, but it wasn't very sincere. I finally signed the papers, and he, and his nephew were on their way! Now I have the 30" dish sitting in my garage, and more holes drilled into my roof for nothing! Very frustrating. And yes guys I understand this is not a problem with VOOM. It's the installs company that is to blame for hiring people like this, and I called them and complained to them about these individuals!

rang1995 said:
Your signal readings are very good, wonder if they get the 30 inch dish working will they go up??can't see how it goes down

yeah my signals are great, but the slightest rain comes, and they go down to low 70's, high 60's, and loses signal. :(

Jay im sorry you got a real loser for an installer. Why not call installs inc a couple days from now and request a different installer. That clown doesnt seem like he knows very much at all. Im glad your not judging voom like some of the bad installation experiences on here do. I dont see how he couldnt get a larger dish to work if the smaller one did.

vurbano said:
Jay im sorry you got a real loser for an installer. Why not call installs inc a couple days from now and request a different installer. That clown doesnt seem like he knows very much at all. Im glad your not judging voom like some of the bad installation experiences on here do. I dont see how he couldnt get a larger dish to work if the smaller one did.

thanks vurbano, maybe it has something to do with the angle. He mentioned something about it not being able to point low enough for VOOM satellite? I don't know. Wish I could get someone on here that installed there 30" to let me know how they did it.

fireman1000 said:
I was told Monday evening of this past week, after complaining about completely losing signal for hours even during light drizzle, that I was going to get a 30" dish installed today. After not receving a confirmation from the installer I called back yesterday and the CSR said that I have not been approved. I told her its funny the CSR I spoke with Monday night said it was approved. Now I was told I'll have to wait 24 to 48 hrs to hear whether or not they've approved a larger one. I posted to the Voom Yahoo group and Wilt, the CEO as I understand, said he would check into it. I received a call and and e-mail from installs saying they were coming out Monday to check everything. This will be the third time, and still no larger dish is coming. Wilt also told me that a larger dish is extremely difficult to aim. This is becoming frustrating. Good luck with your situation.

I installed my own 30" dish. Wasn't hard to aim at all. Used same mount they used for 18" dish and same lnb. You have to make sure you get the arm that goes with the 30" dish as the focal point is different. I aimed it on the roof by myself using the audio beep from receiver. Took about 45 minutes to change the whole thing. You have to move dish very slowly to peak signal. Lined it up left to right as best I could, locked in place, and then moved it up and down a little to get best signal. It was 1/2 degree higher than what was set on 18" dish. Solved rain fade problem. In heavy thunderstorm picture froze once for about five seconds. Couldn't watch in a light drizzle with 18" dish.

Did they use a new LNB or take the one off the 18" dish,then back again (because you still have the 18")if the LNB isn't the right distance or the correct one for that dish it can be a problem(i have read)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)