What about DVR's???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JoshS

Original poster
May 7, 2006
Hey does anyone know if DVR's work with FTA systems? If they do which one is a good one to buy? Is there a special kind for FTA systems or do they only work with subscription services like Dish Network? Thanks for any feedback, JoshS

DVR just puts a copy of whatever signal that is being received and decoded on the internal HD of the rcvr. I have a DB7025 and it does record all the FTA channels that I watch. There is a Pansat model that I believe you can read a review on the FAQ area about as well.

When you 1st enter the FTA forum, there are several sub-forums at the top of the main forum. The 1st one is the FAQ section, I think you want the Review section, which is the 2nd section.

Al

So I just bought a Coolsat 5000...Does that mean that I would have to buy a DVR Recorder/Receiver or could I just buy a cheap DVR and hook it up to my CoolSat? Thanks, JoshS

JoshS said:
So I just bought a Coolsat 5000...Does that mean that I would have to buy a DVR Recorder/Receiver or could I just buy a cheap DVR and hook it up to my CoolSat? Thanks, JoshS
I did that with one of my Tivos for a while. I was able to record stuff (of course) but it was annoying because the Tivo insists on adding the meta data for what it 'thinks' it's recording.

Beyond the PVR/DVR solutions from Pansat and the like, I think the best option for my FTA recording needs is a PC DVB tuner. Going this route gets you the ability to watch 4:2:2 and high definition programming as well as record it.

It's a lot cheaper and is a nice augmentation to a Blindscan receiver.

I've got a generic PVR that works pretty well with any real input....just don't fully expect a EPG to work all the time....The one I have uses Guide Plus and it seems to have a weird breakdown with resetting what's listed and what isn't every month...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)