What about purchased receivers??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
The case was VideoGuide

Esophagus_Constrictor said:
Dig up the precedent, post it here for scrutiny. Sounds completely far-fetched. A warranty on a piece of electronic equipment is for the hardware - are you claiming that there is an implied guarantee for the continuation of a broadcast? That's nuts!

from a previous thread: "I remember a company called VideoGuide, sold a box in 1994 that read program guide data and news over the Pager network, kind of cool. When they shut down 2 years into their sales, they were required to buy the boxes back at full list because the box was only good for their services, so they had, in essence, sold a doorstop as a valid electrical device.
"

madpoet said:
I'm also calling for info... if they say I am stuck with them with no refund, I will sue Cablevision. It's not an idle threat. The legal precedent already exists. And frankly I'm sure I would not be the only one.

-MP
I will join. I purchased 4 receivers. I was told VOOM would never go under because they were backed by a large company, Cablevision. I think it is worth bring them to small claims court, just to cost them lawyer fees. They handled this entire situation very poorly. One minute they are expanding, the next they are going out of business. The Dolan's are a bunch of jerks. I think I will let my wife to the small claims work since she is a stay at home mom and has the time.

madpoet said:
Ok... just talked with a CSR (*sigh*). He said they had been provided absolutely NO information about what box owners should expect, and that he had heard something would be coming down in the next couple days on it but wasn't sure what it would be. He said to give it 2-3 days and then call back. So while I remain annoyed, I will have a small amount of hope that they do the right thing by us.
Yeah, just like they were going to add 200SD channels in March and have 70HD channels. I don't believe crap from VOOM anymore. I doubt there was even a real release date for the DVR.

Hi:
I researched the VideoGuide case a little more (as much as could be done on the Internet anyway ) and it looks like there never was a lawsuit. The big company (GemStar) that shut down the service with the purchased box (VideoGuide) decided on their own to offer full refunds for the cost of the box as well as unused "programming" (they shut down abruptly). There are many similarities to the VOOM case but a couple of differences that may be important.

First, when Gemstar shut down the VideoGuide service the box became completely useless so they had, in effect, caused the boxes to not work. In the case of VOOM, the boxes still might function as OTA receivers and would therefore still work and only have a "change in programming" which we all agreed was possible in our customer agreements. We should expect that VOOM would continue to perform service calls on the purchased boxes and the rest of the "system" if they are going to use this arguement to avoid refunding the purchase price.

Second, Gemstar refunded money for all purchased VideoGuide systems, whether they were under warranty/service contract or not. They offered the refund on the day that they shut down the service.

It would appear that Gemstar probably offered the refunds because they felt they were legally obligated to do so. You would hope Cablevision's lawyers would interpret the laws the same way.

I'm with you as well. Just got done buying another box not even a month ago, and was told there would be no issue. Really ticks me off because I was trying to just lease one, but since I purchased the other 2, I had to buy it. I'll keep tabs of what you guys want to do. Seems to me, there should be some sort of class action lawsuit for stringing people along and taking orders knowing that there was a very good possibility they would in essence just be stealing someones money.

bestbuyguy said:
I'm with you as well. Just got done buying another box not even a month ago, and was told there would be no issue. Really ticks me off because I was trying to just lease one, but since I purchased the other 2, I had to buy it. I'll keep tabs of what you guys want to do. Seems to me, there should be some sort of class action lawsuit for stringing people along and taking orders knowing that there was a very good possibility they would in essence just be stealing someones money.
I agree with you guys.....keep me posted... if a class action is in order i will be the first on the list ....about a year ago when I was given the option to buy or rent the CSR said it would be better to buy.... because in the long run the cost of rental versus purchase at a period of time...i would come out ahead.... saving money... enteresting... i said to the CSR that what happens if VOOM goes under.... he said that it would not happen because they invested over millions of dollars on this venture... and VOOM is only going up in the future... now look what happened in a year... I will fight tooth and nail for this misleading information...I will accepted either a funtional OTA..after the deadline or there will be legal remifications.

I'll dig up what I can as well. The Gemstar precendent does have some slight differences. I'm not convinced they could use the "Change in Programming" excuse, because they would in fact cease to provide ANY programming. The only programming available would be your local OTA, which they also have no control over. And they have made it abundantly clear they are not going to do any more service calls either.

I always do the opposite of what any CSR at a company tells me...lol

Anything they say is good for you, must ultimately be the wrong decision.

jnardone said:
I have a purchased receiver that is warranted to work for another 9 months. Do you think VOOM will give me my money back if the service stops?

edit: I posted this under "customer comments" but it got moved to "news and developments"
What makes you think that it won't?

This thread is a good illustration of how screwed up our court system is, and I'm a lawyer. I bought my stb, too. I knew the company was a start-up and knew it might not make it. That's the risk of being an early adopter. If you buy an HD DVD player and the format doesn't survive, are you going to demand your money back? (Probably.) Take some responsibility for your own actions, and get a life. Oh, and good luck collecting on that judgment against Rainbow DBS.

actually what is the warranty of these boxes 1 year? So technicallly they should offer 1 year service so they can also fullfil the warranty as well. What happens to those who bought boxes months before the shutdown are they still covered under warranty?

compson said:
This thread is a good illustration of how screwed up our court system is, and I'm a lawyer. I bought my stb, too. I knew the company was a start-up and knew it might not make it. That's the risk of being an early adopter. If you buy an HD DVD player and the format doesn't survive, are you going to demand your money back? (Probably.) Take some responsibility for your own actions, and get a life. Oh, and good luck collecting on that judgment against Rainbow DBS.
What kind of lawyer are you...obiviously you are not experience and should not post any profesional opinion on this matter with out the facts. Please leave your name and your state bar # so we can report you and avoid your stupid unprofesional response

The warranty is 2 years. And compson, I don't need to collect against Rainbow DBS. I need to collect against Cablevision, since they own and have always owned Voom. Try to get your facts straight. Your law degree isn't from the University of Guadalahara is it? (all you baseball fans should get that reference!).

-MP

madpoet said:
The warranty is 2 years. And compson, I don't need to collect against Rainbow DBS. I need to collect against Cablevision, since they own and have always owned Voom. Try to get your facts straight. Your law degree isn't from the University of Guadalahara is it? (all you baseball fans should get that reference!).

-MP

Contact your respective state's Attorney General's consumer protection unit. State AG's also have antitrust units, but no one here made use of them.

Just assure me that I can still use the box as an OTA tuner, and I will quit bitching and might even be happy. Is that asking a lot?

-k

klen said:
Just assure me that I can still use the box as an OTA tuner, and I will quit bitching and might even be happy. Is that asking a lot?

-k
Yes, the boxes (at least those that were purchased) will continue to work as OTA receivers after May 1. They will not be blocked and there will be no expiration in the firmware. (Just don't do Factory Resets or you will be in trouble! ;)) Official word on this is expected next week.

CSRs today.... "We have no idea."

*sigh* Ilya, I appreciate that it will continue to function and thanks for that word. But I'm still not giving in on this.

Ilya said:
Yes, the boxes (at least those that were purchased) will continue to work as OTA receivers after May 1. They will not be blocked and there will be no expiration in the firmware.

Ilya, in that case, don't they have to grant service requests in case the box goes dead?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)