What About us NON-HD folks?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

BigApe

Original poster
Jan 30, 2006
Little Rock, Arkansas
With all the talk I read here about the current and future HD receivers/DVRs from D* ... what about us NON-HD folks? Will we have anything to look forward to come November?

Are the new HD units hitting the streets in November, all that will be offered? If I upgrade to one of the new HD units, and I do not need an HD signal, will I still need to upgrade my dish from the 3LNB oval to and HD capable dish?

I would love to see a non-HD (non-TiVo) D* DVR for those of us who have not upgraded to the newer HD technology. My HDVR2 may be on it's last leg and I will need to make a purchase soon. What is in the crystal ball for us LOW-tech people?

Thanks for your comments.

Joe

Last edited:
BigApe said:
With all the talk I read here about the current and future HD receivers/DVRs from D* ... what about us NON-HD folks? Will we have anything to look forward to come November?

Are the new HD units hitting the streets in November, all that will be offered? If I upgrade to one of the new HD units, and I do not need an HD signal, will I still need to upgrade my dish from the 3LNB oval to and HD capable dish?

I would love to see a non-HD (non-TiVo) D* DVR for those of us who have not upgraded to the newer HD technology. My HDVR2 may be on it's last leg and I will need to make a purchase soon. What is in the crystal ball for us LOW-tech people?

Joe

I don't think D* or anyone else will spend anymore R&D money on non-HD receivers. It's getting to the point where all new TV's will have at least 1 component (HD) input.

Most primtime programs that are worth watching are in HD. Someday soon HD programming won't be a seperate package, but part of the base package. (I hope)

vgsantiago said:
I don't think D* or anyone else will spend anymore R&D money on non-HD receivers. It's getting to the point where all new TV's will have at least 1 component (HD) input.

Most primtime programs that are worth watching are in HD. Someday soon HD programming won't be a seperate package, but part of the base package. (I hope)

I think you are right on that one. I can see down the road where all the channels on the satellites will be HD, and D* or E* receivers will down convert the HD signal to one for non-HD sets. Kind of like what the E* 622 now does. There will only be one receiver and one DVR, each with two outputs, 1 HD and one down converted HD.

As more and more people go to HD, the number of viewers using the current SD signals will drop and after a while there will be so few SD viewers, that it will make SD signals a waste of bandwidth.

DirecTV is still investing in the SD... sure it's time is limited... but most of their interactive content is available on the SD Recievers.

The R15 and future services that will use that platform (such as DirecTV2Go)

Then there is the Home Media center that will have SD clients...

SD is far from dead.... There are what 350ish channels in the DirecTV stream....

How many have HD Variants? HD still has a LONG way to go before it becomes the majority

ebonovic said:
DirecTV is still investing in the SD... sure it's time is limited... but most of their interactive content is available on the SD Recievers.

SD is far from dead.... There are what 350ish channels in the DirecTV stream....

How many have HD Variants? HD still has a LONG way to go before it becomes the majority

No one says this is going happen today or tomorrow, it is just an insight to what some of us see for the future.

ebonovic said:

SD will be the majority for a long time for programming, but I think D*'s dollars are all going into HD and HD-DVR.

I'm sure by now it's too simple to put a SD receiver together. TV's will still have to be made with SD inputs to accomodate old DVD players, gaming systems, cameras etc...

I can see a time real soon where there will be only HD receivers delivered and made with SD outputs. I think that would be ultimately cheaper for D* in the long run.

But I would say if your primary TV goes out, pass up on a SD only type set, and make sure it can use HD.

BigApe said:

Joe

There is a non-hd (non-tivo) dvr for directv. It is called the R-15. Call directv and you may be able to talk them into giving you one for free.

I wouldn't worry about HD at all. In fact I think most is all hype and money and in the end( I will probably be one of the last to get it) it will be back to "regular" and nothing special about it. My personal opinion is I don't think there is harly not that much difference and most are pushing it to sell the airwaves and make money. WHEN they broadcast in true 1080P and not any compression except as needed then maybe I will jump on the band wagon.

Thanks for your comments. It looks like I may get something new this fall ('06.) Although, at the time I will not be upgrading to a new HD monitor. That upgrade will be a few years down the road. I'll have to stick with the S-Video input.

I will definitely give D* a call when my HDVR2 dies. I'm actually looking forward to dropping the TiVO programming and going with the D* version. Hopefully by the fall most of the bugs will be worked out.

Again, thanks for the input.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)