What about Vizio TVs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jimw

Original poster
Dec 15, 2005
Fredericksburg, Tx.
I have noticed an influx of Vizio HDTV sets at China...er, Wal-mart stores lately. I have heard of these, but not prolifilically. Sooo..... I am asking the enlightened, all knowing gurus here for a pro/con rundown on them, how they stack up against the others, like Sony, Toshiba, etc.? Thanks for the help. Jim

They are cheaper than most and have been around a few years now usually found at the club stores but are becoming more common at Sears, Circuit City and WalMart. You'll hear the good, bad and ugly about all brands. I'm happy with my Vizio.

Vizio is the #1 selling LCD in the US. It's due totally to it's low price. Feed it anything other than a HD signal and you'll understand. They're OK but even with an HD feed the colors aren't correct.

I had a Vizio 42" LCD. I still have a Vizio 20" LCD in my office. I will not buy another Vizio. Same scenario...you get what you pay for. I now have a Sony Bravia 46"...there is no comparison. Go to a store where you can see (side by side) the same HD feed to a Vizio and any other TV like a Sony, and you will see the difference.

We bought a 50 inch Vizio Plasma and continue to be very pleased. Had intended to get an LG, then checked with Consumer Reports on line. The VIZIO was listed as the best buy, very good picture quality and lower price.

I've got a 32" 720p in the kids room. On the good side it's reliable, does perform consistently and was cheap. Unfortunately it really does not produce a very impressive picture. The black levels and contrast are really poor and the color production is not very accurate as well.

All in all I really don’t regret the purchase for its purpose. Don’t expect an amazing TV by any means and they probably won’t dissapoint.

Vizio is the #1 selling LCD in the US. It's due totally to it's low price. Feed it anything other than a HD signal and you'll understand. They're OK but even with an HD feed the colors aren't correct.
LCD's perhaps, however my P50 PDP has been reported as tracking gray scale pretty accurately... and it does a very nice job w/SD material.

Thanks guys. I guess you really do get what you pay for in the long run. Already had a 42" Sony from a couple of years ago and had no problems at all. Was in the local China-mart and saw the Vizio with a low price and.... Anyhow I reckon I'll stick with the Sony's. You guys are the best. Jim

i'm a toshiba guy. always have been. for some reason in common circles they seem to get ignored. but, they have always had a great track record, get great consumer satisfaction ratings and recently were listed somewhere in the top HD sets i believe (FWIW). they're not the cheapest but, usually are cheaper than sets by samsung, sony etc. they may not have the hype that other brands do but, i think they can hold their own weight against any of them.

stay away from vizio...

I had a vizio for over 6 months. Was not happy with it so I took it back to Sams for 100% refund and bought a Westinghouse from them. Not happy with this one either so will take back when I get more money and I am buying the new Bravia. It looks like one of the best.

if memory serves correctly they have one of the largest purchase to repair shop rates out there.

”Service Labor
During the one (1) year warranty period, VIZIO will provide, when needed, service labor to repair a manufacturing defect at its designated service center. To obtain warranty service in the United States, you must first contact VIZIO Technical Support via email at techsupport@VIZIO.com or via phone at (949) 428-2525. The determination of service will be made by VIZIO. PLEASE DO NOT RETURN YOUR UNIT TO VIZIO WITHOUT PRIOR AUTHORIZATION.

Service
During the one (1) year warranty period, VIZIO will, at its option and sole discretion, repair or replace defective parts, which may be new or remanufactured, including replacement of the entire unit. The Customer will be required to ship the product to the service center indicated by VIZIO when the return authorization is provided. The Customer is responsible for all transportation charges to the service center. VIZIO is not responsible for the de-installation or re-installation of the product.

Packaging and Shipping Instruction
When shipping the product to an authorized VIZIO service facility, the original carton box and packing material, or an equivalent as designated by VIZIO, must be utilized.”

According to Vizio, all TVs 37” and larger must go by truck to California. Fed Ex Ground from NY to Vizio in Irvine, CA is $88.95 for its 42” LCD TV and $108.95 for its 50” plasma. You threw out the TVs packing carton? If you are in the warranty period, it’s no problem, Vizio will ship you a new cardboard box at no charge (according to its CS rep).

If the Vizio flat screen breaks after the one-year warranty expires is where it gets expensive. The prices are shocking.

For any Visio 42” LCD, the carton and packing material with shipping is $300. Its out of warranty service is at a “Flat Rate” of $300 parts + $140 labor. Outbound shipping (FED EX ground) to Vizio cost $89. For return freight, Vizio charges $250 bringing the total cost of an out of warranty repair cost a staggering $1079. The current cost of a new Visio 42” LCD at Circuit City is $1099. Think of it, twenty bucks more and you get a brand new disposable TV with a new one-year warranty. What a deal!

i just prefer what i prefer i guess... i stick to brands i trust and USUALLY don't have issues. and USUALLY will back thier products. while i do agree that some maunfacturers use their name to gouge on prices such as sony (will not use sony due to ridiculous propietary nonsense on other products)- i just feel an established company USUALLY provides a more stable product. of course you can nitpick exceptions to every rule. IMO i feel the ONLY good thing that companies like sylvania, vizio and westinghouse and olevia have contributed is the lowering of flat panel prices. for that purpose they have done well in leveling the playing field. i don't know... if i'm torn between a vizio and a sharp that cost a few more hundred dollars i'm definitely going sharp. i'm not trying to be snobbish i just feel the vizio is an intro level product with an intro level price and an intro level quality level with probable intro level life expectancy.

Last edited:
My Vizio has been very good with no issues what so ever. you will always hear more negative comments about anything than positive. If you were in my living room right now watching TBS HD you would be impressed and I'm a discerning viewer. All that said buy from a place with a good return policy or buy an extended warranty with any flat screen TV . The long term performance and reliability of any flat screen is still suspect.

My Vizio has been very good with no issues what so ever. you will always hear more negative comments about anything than positive. If you were in my living room right now watching TBS HD you would be impressed and I'm a discerning viewer. All that said buy from a place with a good return policy or buy an extended warranty with any flat screen TV . The long term performance and reliability of any flat screen is still suspect.

i have no doubt your vizio has served you well. however i disagree about most comments being negative. IF ANYTHING it's been the exact opposite in vizio's case- most of what you see is positive. however if you dig a little deeper you will find that they have a rather large repair and return ratio. quite a bit larger than other brands.

i guess it all depends on the consumer. one guy is happy with an HTIB. another isn't happy until he drops $1000 per speaker and another $3000 on a receiver.

to the OP- if you're going to spend $1100 for a flat panel why not wait a few more weeks/ months and bump it to $1500. look on amazon etc. you can find 46-47" sharps, tosh, samsungs etc. for some really nice deals. last i saw a 46" 1080p sharp for around $1400, and a 47" 1080p tosh for $1600 shipped.

verbano said:
Because it is inferior. If you want cheap I think Phillips makes a better TV
Everyone's got an opinion, I guess. Most reviews that I've read tend to place some credence in the overall value that Vizio represents.
whiteyanderson said:
if memory serves correctly they have one of the largest purchase to repair shop rates out there...
Show me some data to back that up and I'd be happy to agree. It just hasn't been my experience with one of their products.

whiteyanderson said:
...i just prefer what i prefer i guess... i stick to brands i trust and USUALLY don't have issues. and USUALLY will back thier products. while i do agree that some maunfacturers use their name to gouge on prices such as sony (will not use sony due to ridiculous propietary nonsense on other products)- i just feel an established company USUALLY provides a more stable product. of course you can nitpick exceptions to every rule. IMO i feel the ONLY good thing that companies like sylvania, vizio and westinghouse and olevia have contributed is the lowering of flat panel prices. for that purpose they have done well in leveling the playing field. i don't know... if i'm torn between a vizio and a sharp that cost a few more hundred dollars i'm definitely going sharp. i'm not trying to be snobbish i just feel the vizio is an intro level product with an intro level price and an intro level quality level with probable intro level life expectancy.
I'm with you as far as you providing an opinion, however, I'd be interested in seeing the source of your quote. At least to me, it has the appearance of having been copied and pasted from both the actual warranty info and a bit of editorializing. Look at pretty much any CE manufacturer's warranty and you'll find the same language and level of protection embedded in the legalese. There are enough good and bad stories floating around for most anyone's purchase, at any price. A point that you already conceded in your post with the frequent use of the word USUALLY.

Although I may come off as having an interest in "defending" Vizio, I'm not really interested in making a case for them but, I am curious as to why there seems to be an interest in making a case against them. I'm just waiting for the hdguru.com blog to surface here. That would be funny.

The only thing that matters to me is that my P50HDTV10A PDP has been more or less flawless for well over a year. I purchased it because it garnered the respect and recommendations of many independent and reputable A/V periodicals and I found that the PQ is quite enjoyable, after proper break-in and calibration of user level menu controls.

I can't speak to the performance or reliability of any of their other models but, then, I don't really care about those. So, I won't make silly blanket statements about this or any other company's products.

I'll give you $100 if I'm impressed. Because those are the absolute worst looking TV's I've ever seen.

Toshibas look better but they're a pain to control (very few have discretes).

Again, my 46" LCD Vizio has a good picture with HD programming. People who have seen it have come away pleased enough to buy a Vizio themselves. The brand gets enough decent reviews that it sells lots of sets to apparently blind and poor people who could ill afford a top of the line brand for hundreds more. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)