What about Vizio TVs?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have 5 Vizeo's in my house. There is a reason thay are the best selling LCD in the US. They have great pictures, have had no service issues or problems and cost way less than anyone elses.
The average person will not see any diffrence in picture quality bewteen these sets and any other brand.

Let's define average then.

Vizio will never beat ISF calibrated brand name models.
But with a little knowledge and effort you can calibrate Vizio yourself to look better than the majority of brand name TV sets
that are left running in "torch" mode after turning them on at home for the first time and never touching the calibration buttons.

Vizio is not for perfectionists. Fortunately, the ratio of the latter is less than the marketshare of hidef in the DVD market.

Diogen.

HDMI handshake issues. Capacitors exploding. I took my VIZIO P50HDM back to costco after a few months of ownership and got a Panasonic. I couldn't deal with the HDMI handshake issue any longer. One good thing about the set was SD looked real good.

vurbano said:
They (Vizio) are I think one of the biggest marketing scams since Bose and apparently they have greased a lot of palms.
They are the same people who have Bose sound systems.
So Vizio is cheap crap and Bose is expensive crap, and all it takes to be perceived as good, in this context, is a lot of marketing dollars. Got it.

Here's one of my questions... Is the same consumer who decides to purchase Vizio also going to purchase Bose? Probably not... Here's another question... Maybe what you're really trying to say is that anyone who buys either is making a foolish decision?

I think it might be helpful if you could make a list of all the stuff that's crap and then a list of all the stuff that's not crap. That way, anyone who's concerned with your opinion can be sure that you won't label them as a fool.

While you're at it, perhaps you can make a list of the companies that are slinging their greasy palms around the CE industry? Shouldn't take long, hardly any brand spends any money on marketing these days :D

Its not an opinion. A comparison of specs with other models will tell the story. Vizio LCD's have sad brightness and contrast Ratios compared to many other brands. I am currently looking for a small 32" LCD HD set for the bedroom. Ive looked at Vizio's picture and the specs. VIZIO 32" LCD HDTV with Digital Tuner, VW32L - Wal-Mart (600 bucks for junk, 700:1 contrast ratio, you have to look pretty darn hard for something worse than that)
No way. Id rather pony up an additional 200 bucks for a decent set with a vastly superior picture. Sharp | LC-32D43U 32" 16:9 HD LCD Television | LC32D43U | (Native Contrast Ratio: 1,200:1, Dynamic Contrast Ratio: 6,000:1)

For someone who is accusing Vizio owners of being sucked into the BOSE cult of thinking, you have just quoted the most misleading and useless way to judge a tv, Contrast ratio is meaningless because no set standards are used.
Hate Vizio all you want but they are not a bad TV. Even without the disclaimer of "for the price"-
They are as good as any entry level kitten killing Sony TV.
Spec Wars: Contrast Ratio Shoot-Out (Everyone Loses) - Gizmodo

HDMI handshake issues. Capacitors exploding. I took my VIZIO P50HDM back to costco after a few months of ownership and got a Panasonic. I couldn't deal with the HDMI handshake issue any longer. One good thing about the set was SD looked real good.

Many brands have issues with HDMI, What ever you were trying to connect works with Panasonic, I only have 1 HDMI component connected to my Vizio- My Dish 622 DVR, it has no problems Same with 3 of my neighbors who bought Vizios for there 2nd room TVS. Each case is different and is not indicative to a certain model being bad until multiple complaints about the same issue are recognised.

Vizio will never beat ISF calibrated brand name models.
But with a little knowledge and effort you can calibrate Vizio yourself to look better than the majority of brand name TV sets
that are left running in "torch" mode after turning them on at home for the first time and never touching the calibration buttons.

Vizio is not for perfectionists. Fortunately, the ratio of the latter is less than the marketshare of hidef in the DVD market.

Diogen.

Absolutely true but an ISF calibrated VIZIO will be close in PQ for and will gave saved the purchaser enough money to buy a HD-DVD player if not a Blu-ray:D

i can't find my original article i read about the high breakdown ratio of vizio but here is a blurb from consumer reports (take it for what you will and i will try to dig up the other info i had). sems philips fits in with vizio too though.

ConsumerReports.org - TVs brand repair history

ps- i use the term USUALLY so loosely to make a point of not bringing out the nitpicking. there are always exceptions to the rules. unfortunately some would prefer to turn these exceptions into the rule.
I'd have to take this article with a grain of salt
Since it does not tell when the data was gathered

Absolutely true but an ISF calibrated VIZIO...
I didn't say ISF calibrated VIZIO. It would be hard to keep those two in the same sentence.
What I was saying, doing a basic calibration of a VIZIO set using AVIA/DVE or even using the calibration component
included in NV video cards/PureVideo drivers would most of the time beat non-calibrated brand name sets.

I disagree about contrast. Not because I know what the standard is, but because high contrast is synonymous
with good picture quality - and this is exactly what we buy TVs for, don't we?

Diogen.

FWIW,
Wal-Mart has the Vizio VW32 LHDTV that has a 700:1 contrast ratio...

....and Sam's has the Vizio VX32 LHDTV that has a 1200:1 contrast ratio for the same price. Both are $597.

Get the VX it is the newer model. The VW is the older VL model re-badged for Walmart.

For someone who is accusing Vizio owners of being sucked into the BOSE cult of thinking, you have just quoted the most misleading and useless way to judge a tv, Contrast ratio is meaningless because no set standards are used.
Hate Vizio all you want but they are not a bad TV. Even without the disclaimer of "for the price"-
They are as good as any entry level kitten killing Sony TV.
Spec Wars: Contrast Ratio Shoot-Out (Everyone Loses) - Gizmodo[/QUOTE

Bravo! Umm, I mean good point! So there V!

My daughter bought a 42" Vizio at Costco. Costco gives you 90 days to bring it back no questions asked. Picture looks great but we did have to change the factory settings like you have to do with all video products. I will try to find the web site address that I copyed settings from some guys that do not have a life other than TV sets. :D

FWIW,

I am looking to replace the 19 Zenith in my bedroom.

I was looking at the TV's at Wal-Mart and Sam's.

Sam's seems to have the "better" TVs, both Vizio and Samsumg.

Wal-Mart has the Vizio VW32 LHDTV that has a 700:1 contrast ratio

VIZIO 32" LCD HDTV with Digital Tuner, VW32L - Wal-Mart

and Sam's has the Vizio VX32 LHDTV that has a 1200:1 contrast ratio for the same price. Both are $597.

Sam's Club - 32" Vizio Wide LCD HDTV
You would be far better off ordering the 32" 720p Sharp LCD from bhphoto.com for 750.00 IMO unless you enjoy green faces and etc.

Posted earlier about my 47" LCD, just got a 42" for the bedroom. Sam's Club, couldn't beat the price. Mostly made the decision on the fact that I really like the 47". Note that I still watch most major stuff on my projector. Oh, and Vurbano being so adamant against them was the compelling factor that just shouted out at me "Get That Vizio!":p

I just bought the 32" from Costco and so far like the picture, especially the HD OTA. I am getting a HD reciever and should have an opinion soon. So far the picture is really good and have no complaints. Good price and return policy and I didn't feel the need to spend 300-400 more for a bedroom tv. Think about it.

I went with the 37 incher from Sam's.

I was looking at the 32 inch but for $150 more I could get the 37 so I did.

It's ggod enough for me. I don't need much. I don't have HD or plan to get it anytime soon.

For a bedroom TV and replacing the 19 tuber that was there, it's fine!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts