What are some overrated sports rivalries?

boohoo get over it:D when these 2 teams have had 30 or 31 playoff series against each other its a rivalry....
let me know when the yankees/red sox have played 30 playoff series against each other, then it may classify as a rivalry.
Yes, because there is!

Yankees / Red Sox have not played this many playoff games yet ????
Of course, you have to consider that the only way they would be able to play each other in the playoffs would have only started a few short years ago when the Wild Card was added.

When was the WC added and how many times have they played in that period of time ?

edit: the WC came into play in '94, so that makes 13 years.
edit: the Yankees or Red Sox have been the WC representative for 8 of those 13 years, (provided that the other was the division leader, which I don't remember anyone else winning the EAST.)
So they have played in more than half the games, I don't know if you would consider this a rivalry in the playoffs or not, but it is very consistant)

Jimbo

boohoo get over it:D when these 2 teams have had 30 or 31 playoff series against each other its a rivalry....
let me know when the yankees/red sox have played 30 playoff series against each other, then it may classify as a rivalry.
Yes, because there is!

Actually regular season rivalries are often as intense as playoff rivalries. Many teams in many sports consider some in league/conference/division team to be their biggest rival---not someone they MIGHT meet in a playoff game.

In the category of "I'm sick of hearing about this rivlary," let me throw in Canadiens/Bruins.

It's a great and long rivalry, but this is more of a "Change the channel when I hear about it" type of thing.

I lived in Buffalo for many years, and most of those were when the Sabres had as much playoff success as the Charlotte Bobcats.

Year after year, my Sabres always failed to beat either Montreal or Boston, who met an amazing (and somewhat tiresome) NINE STRAIGHT TIMES from 1984-1992 and a tenth time in 1994- had my Sabres not pulled a stunning sweep in 1993, we'd be looking at eleven in a row- crazy by today's standards.

As a Sabres fan, having to hear all about how Bruins/Habs is so great and all that stuff got on my nerves.

I have warmed up to the rivalry more recently (3 playoff battles 8 years is a bit more liveble than nine in a row).

Great rivalry, but lots of overkill.

Very few rivalries make sense from the outside. If it makes you feel any better most Bruins fans consider the Sabers to be a perennial contender and never take the game gfor granted even when we have a good team. Canadiens fans look down at everybody---including us.

Army/Navy

I understand all of the hype surrounding it but the game itself is laughable.

Army/Navy

You make a good point, and I can explain it.

I found some articles that I think prove your point.

One's titled "IT'S MORE THAN JUST THE GAME: ARMY-NAVY BATTLE TRANSCENDS FOOTBALL."

Here's an excerpt:

Their combined record is 7-14. They have no hot NFL prospects and a total of only two bowl appearances since 1988.
Yet when Army and Navy meet for the 100th time Saturday in Philadelphia, the appropriately named Veterans Stadium will be filled, CBS will earn one of its highest ratings for a college football game this fall, and, history tells us, much of America will care at least a little.

"The success of this game is a mystery to me," said Bob Thompson, founder of the Center for the Study of Popular Television at Syracuse University. "In a country that cares less and less about the Army and Navy, it's surprising how this game seems to be gaining in popularity. The only explanation I can put to it is it has been really well-packaged."

Well-packaged on the tube, well-positioned on the schedule, generally well-played on the field, and always well-stocked with compelling stories.

Another excerpt, this time from an article titled "Army-Navy passion overrides competition level"

Let's face it: No broadcast operation in its right mind would want to telecast a football game between two teams that have one win between them.

That is, unless the game is between Army and Navy. Then, it becomes something much more than a game between two teams that have one win between them.

"It doesn't matter whether you are a Democrat or a Republican, a liberal or a conservative," said CBS producer Craig Silver. "You're not an American if watching the Army-Navy game doesn't stir some passion in your soul."

"...generally well-played on the field..."

I agree with everything except the above. The game is NOT generall well-played for division 1 football.

Army/Navy

That's like saying that any rivalry is overrated if it isn't played at the highest level of the sport. Rivalries in general are about more than just the sport.

That's like saying that any rivalry is overrated if it isn't played at the highest level of the sport. Rivalries in general are about more than just the sport.

Not exactly. I guess I'm saying that a rivalry is overrated if it isn't played at an acceptable competitive level of the sport.

I agree wholeheartedly with your comment that rivalries are about more than just the sport.

as a long time Lakers fan, I'd have to say the recent Suns "rivalry". It was 2 series, one with a huge incident and comeback. Besides that, they're nothing to us. Not to mention we were nothing compared to both Suns teams. At least the Kings rivalry during our dynasty run had 2 great teams with emotions running.

as a long time Lakers fan, I'd have to say the recent Suns "rivalry". It was 2 series, one with a huge incident and comeback. Besides that, they're nothing to us. Not to mention we were nothing compared to both Suns teams. At least the Kings rivalry during our dynasty run had 2 great teams with emotions running.

Just curious,

but what L.A./California sports teams are you a fan of besides the Lakers?

It's tough to have overrated sports rivalries because it really depends on your area. If you live in NY, Conn. etc. you may think the Cubs/Cards is overrated. If you live in Chicago, St. Louis, etc. you may think Yankees/RedSox is overrated. I think it's very geographical.

I'll take this to be over the last 20 years.

Packers/Bears

It's hard to sustain a rivalry when the other team hasn't shown up for most of that time.

Go Pack!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts