What are some overrated sports rivalries?

Where did Ohio State come from? Bandwagon?:D

Well looking at my list of team, I'm obviously anything but a bandwagon fan. ;)

My older sister went to Ohio State when I was a kid, so my brothers and I all became Buckeye fans.

Sandra

Well looking at my list of team, I'm obviously anything but a bandwagon fan. ;)

My older sister went to Ohio State when I was a kid, so my brothers and I all became Buckeye fans.

Sandra

Just giving you a hard time over all those NY teams and the one Ohio team.

New York Rangers
New York Yankees
New York Jets
New York Knicks
Ohio State football
St. John's basketball

Sandra

One of those doesn't belong with the others--wouldn't an "old guard" fan have the Giants in that list?

I don't live in NY, but I like most of the teams. My alignment is kind of mixed up--Mets, Jets, Knicks (when I cared about the NBA), Devils.

I hate the rivalries that are being manufactured by Interleague play. Philadelphia and Oakland, Atlanta and Boston, Washington and Minnesota, Texas, St Louis and Balitmore simply because the latter once played in the first team's city.

I hate the rivalries that are being manufactured by Interleague play. Philadelphia and Oakland, Atlanta and Boston, Washington and Minnesota, Texas, St Louis and Balitmore simply because the latter once played in the first team's city.

I agree. Those "rivalries" are a reach at best.

P.S. Jim,
I read your signature and just wanted to say, thank you and God bless you for your service!!!! :up:up:up:up:up:up:up

SEC and Big Ten doesn't have a rivalry at all.

The TOP teams in both are playing good football, but the leagues themselves don't have a rivalry with one another.

I don't know if you would actually consider the top teams having a rivalry either seeing they don't play each other that often.

Jimbo

Especially as far as MICHIGAN is concerned. We own them.

Actually, what I was getting at is that outside of Bowl games, they don't play one another but once in a blue moon, so a rivalry is really hard to build that way.

Jimbo
You're right. If college football had a playoff, I think regular season inter-conference games between top BCS teams would increase.

to tell you the truth no one in DC cares about a rivalry with the Twins or Rangers. Baltimore yesbut that is really it.

In the category of "I'm sick of hearing about this rivlary," let me throw in Canadiens/Bruins.

It's a great and long rivalry, but this is more of a "Change the channel when I hear about it" type of thing.

I lived in Buffalo for many years, and most of those were when the Sabres had as much playoff success as the Charlotte Bobcats.

Year after year, my Sabres always failed to beat either Montreal or Boston, who met an amazing (and somewhat tiresome) NINE STRAIGHT TIMES from 1984-1992 and a tenth time in 1994- had my Sabres not pulled a stunning sweep in 1993, we'd be looking at eleven in a row- crazy by today's standards.

As a Sabres fan, having to hear all about how Bruins/Habs is so great and all that stuff got on my nerves.

I have warmed up to the rivalry more recently (3 playoff battles 8 years is a bit more liveble than nine in a row).

Great rivalry, but lots of overkill.

....Year after year, my Sabres always failed to beat either Montreal or Boston, who met an amazing (and somewhat tiresome) NINE STRAIGHT TIMES from 1984-1992 and a tenth time in 1994- had my Sabres not pulled a stunning sweep in 1993, we'd be looking at eleven in a row- crazy by today's standards....
Milwaukee Bucks fans must have felt the same way when they had the third or fourth best team in the NBA year after but could never beat both the Celtics and the Sixers in the same year to advance to the Finals.

Milwaukee Bucks fans must have felt the same way when they had the third or fourth best team in the NBA year after but could never beat both the Celtics and the Sixers in the same year to advance to the Finals.

Not to get too far off topic, but those Bucks teams of the early 80's were some of the best teams to never win it all. They had Marques Johnson, Mickey Johnson, Moncrief, Winters, Bridgeman, Buckner, Lanier, Lister, Elmore and so on.

In the category of "I'm sick of hearing about this rivlary," let me throw in Canadiens/Bruins.
boohoo get over it:D when these 2 teams have had 30 or 31 playoff series against each other its a rivalry....
let me know when the yankees/red sox have played 30 playoff series against each other, then it may classify as a rivalry.
Does anyone in Montreal (or elsewhere) even realize that Bostonians think there is a Habs/Bruins rivalry?
Yes, because there is!

Attachments

• state of hockey.jpg
    state of hockey.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

It's a great and long rivalry, but this is more of a "Change the channel when I hear about it" type of thing.

I lived in Buffalo for many years, and most of those were when the Sabres had as much playoff success as the Charlotte Bobcats.

Year after year, my Sabres always failed to beat either Montreal or Boston, who met an amazing (and somewhat tiresome) NINE STRAIGHT TIMES from 1984-1992 and a tenth time in 1994- had my Sabres not pulled a stunning sweep in 1993, we'd be looking at eleven in a row- crazy by today's standards.

As a Sabres fan, having to hear all about how Bruins/Habs is so great and all that stuff got on my nerves.

I have warmed up to the rivalry more recently (3 playoff battles 8 years is a bit more liveble than nine in a row).

Great rivalry, but lots of overkill.

That shows you that the NHL allows TOOOOO many teams into the playoffs and that those teams are always good enough to make the playoffs.
Of course there are those teams that fail to make the playoffs regularly and thats sad in the NHL.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)