What are some overrated sports rivalries?

What about entire groups? Like Big10 vs SEC ?

UF vs FSU has always been a biggie well until FSU started sucking so bad its as if UF is playing Notre dam or something

SEC and Big Ten doesn't have a rivalry at all.

The TOP teams in both are playing good football, but the leagues themselves don't have a rivalry with one another.

I don't know if you would actually consider the top teams having a rivalry either seeing they don't play each other that often.

Jimbo

The Raiders and anybody.

The Raiders go out of their way to make it seem like they're this mean old franchise everyone loves to hate. Rivalries with the Chiefs, Broncos, et. al. are not rivalries at all anymore, if they ever even were.

The supposed 'rivalries' are now meaningless, since the Raiders have become as insignificant as any franchise in professional sports.

Sandra

What on earth was east coast elitist about my post??? Why do you feel the need to denigrate my education because I could not possibly care less about a possible rivarly between the Cubs and the Cardinals? :confused:

Yes I spoke about it, I said it would be unfair of me to comment that it's not a rivalry, even though here in NJ you don't feel the rivalry at all. People say it's a rivarly, so, OK, it's a rivalry.

You calling me east coast elitist speaks more to your insecurities than mine.

When St. John's plays Syracuse in basketball are you glued to your TV because it's another edition of a great rivalry? Probably not. Being in the midwest you probably don't even know why it's a rivalry in the first place.

Syracuse recruits in the city a lot, making it into a game between kids that have been playing with and against each other on school and AAU teams since they were small. Add in St. John's constant struggle to keep the best players in the city 'home', the game, which is played at the Garden when St. John's is home, turns into a mini-referendum every year for uncommited high school players.

You probably didn't know all that, and more importantly, you probably don't care. That doesn't make you a 'midwest elitist', though...it makes you someone removed from the rivalry. Similar to most of us on the east coast who are totally removed from your little rivalry.

And here's a final hint...if you're going to put down someone's education, it may be a good idea to spell it correctly when you do. Or is correct spelling an east-coast elitist concept? ;)

Sandra
lol. i was funning with you more then anything else. sorry. but the part about chicago and st louis, dont you know they are fairly close to eachother, about 300 miles.

lol. i was funning with you more then anything else. sorry. but the part about chicago and st louis, dont you know they are fairly close to eachother, about 300 miles.

Oh my, 'only' 300 miles? NYC is 300 miles from an awful lot of places that have teams, but that doesn't make them our rivals.

When you have so many teams from the same sport in the same metropolitan area, 300 miles becomes pretty far away.

Sandra

The Raiders and anybody.

The Raiders go out of their way to make it seem like they're this mean old franchise everyone loves to hate. Rivalries with the Chiefs, Broncos, et. al. are not rivalries at all anymore, if they ever even were.

The supposed 'rivalries' are now meaningless, since the Raiders have become as insignificant as any franchise in professional sports.

Sandra

Raiders rivalries are all based in the past. Sad to see that their games with the Broncos, Chiefs and the Steelers really don't mean much because the Raiders are going through a phase that most teams go through, that "insignificant" phase.
But, they MUST be significant because for all those that LOVE THE RAIDERS, there is an equal amount that HATE THEM. Just like all the other winning franchise from other sports(the Yankees, Dodgers, Celtics, Lakers, Knicks, Pistons, Montreal Canadians, Red Wings and the list goes on and on....)

So, because people STILL wanna see those teams lose eventhough they suck...they ARE pretty significant....:rolleyes:;)

Raiders rivalries are all based in the past. Sad to see that their games with the Broncos, Chiefs and the Steelers really don't mean much because the Raiders are going through a phase that most teams go through, that "insignificant" phase.
But, they MUST be significant because for all those that LOVE THE RAIDERS, there is an equal amount that HATE THEM. Just like all the other winning franchise from other sports(the Yankees, Dodgers, Celtics, Lakers, Knicks, Pistons, Montreal Canadians, Red Wings and the list goes on and on....)

So, because people STILL wanna see those teams lose eventhough they suck...they ARE pretty significant....:rolleyes:;)

Not anymore. Nobody cares anymore whether the Raiders win or lose. That's what makes them insignificant, and all of their rivalries vastly overrated.

You can barely even find them on TV outside of Oakland anymore. Difficult to root against a team you can't even watch.

Sandra

Not anymore. Nobody cares anymore whether the Raiders win or lose. That's what makes them insignificant, and all of their rivalries vastly overrated.

You can barely even find them on TV outside of Oakland anymore. Difficult to root against a team you can't even watch.

Sandra

Really now...? Go to ANY website that has a blog about any Raider info and I will ASSURE you that those that hate the Raiders will be out in full force, foaming at the mouth because of the current "temporary" disarray. Very few teams, even in their "insignificance" stage, still bring up piss and vinegar like the Raiders.

I believe a rivalry is very subjective based on your geographical area. For me it's Red Sox-Yankees, Celtics-Sixers/Knicks, Bruins-Canadiens/Sabres, and Patriots-Dolphins/Jets/Bills/Colts. If you're not a fan of any of those teams, I wouldn't expect you to have the same passion that I have for those games.

Really now...? Go to ANY website that has a blog about any Raider info and I will ASSURE you that those that hate the Raiders will be out in full force, foaming at the mouth because of the current "temporary" disarray. Very few teams, even in their "insignificance" stage, still bring up piss and vinegar like the Raiders.

You're seriously over-inflating the importance of the Raiders. They only remain important in the minds of their fans...now that they're terrible, nobody is foaming at their mouths anymore. And. back to topic, their rivalries have seriously dissipated.

The Raiders have been relegated.

Sandra

You're seriously over-inflating the importance of the Raiders. They only remain important in the minds of their fans...now that they're terrible, nobody is foaming at their mouths anymore. And. back to topic, their rivalries have seriously dissipated.

The Raiders have been relegated.

Sandra

So are you saying the same thing about the New York Knicks? Or the Yankees?
I mean those teams are storied franchises that have not won squat in quite a while...especially the Knicks. Are they insignificant?

So are you saying the same thing about the New York Knicks? Or the Yankees?
I mean those teams are storied franchises that have not won squat in quite a while...especially the Knicks. Are they insignificant?

The Yankees have been to the playoffs 12 years in a row. That's a tad better than the Raiders.

The Knicks, however, are worse than insignificant, they've been an embarassment. The good news is, there's now a new regime in town, hopefully then can get back to respectability.

Sandra

The Yankees have been to the playoffs 12 years in a row. That's a tad better than the Raiders.

The Knicks, however, are worse than insignificant, they've been an embarassment. The good news is, there's now a new regime in town, hopefully then can get back to respectability.

Sandra

Curious to knw what your teams are...if I may ask?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts