What are the requirements to become an installer?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Average pay is probably close to $11 - $14 an hour. Depending on policies, you can do worse or better. But you will not be making $1000 a week. At one time, yes, that was possible. In a nutshell, all of these companies find ways to dock your pay to the point where you make about $12 an hour. And keep in mind, this is not waking up at 7am, clocking in at 8am, and then clocking out at 5pm. There is alot of BS time that you don't get paid, such as meetings, inventory, drive time, ect...

You can find a couple different ways to work. You have "inhouse" techs and then you have contractors. If you choose Dish Network, I believe you are actually working for Dish. DirecTV outsources all of their work to regional contractors called HSP's. There are a couple regions where you actually work for DirecTV. If you work for Dish Network, also called DNS, or one of DirecTV's HSP's, they will provide you with all of the equipment, vehicle, fuel, and parts. There will be some basic tools that you will need to bring to the game. At this point, you are an employee for these companies, NOT a contractor.
The pay structure with both of these employers are complex and meant to keep your eye off the real question...What are you REALLY making?
DirecTV pays by piece work. Basically, you get paid $x.00 to put the dish up, then $x.00 for each additional receiver. If its an upgrade or service call, its a flat rate. So basically, if an install pays $65.00 and takes you an hour, you did great. If it takes you four hours, then you're screwed. Same with service calls and upgrades.
Dish Networks uses some Points Per Hours, or PPH, BS. Its basically the same idea behind piecework, except you're awarded points per hour. Then there are several factors including PPH, such a connectivity (hooking phone lines up), Quality of work, ect ... that all determines your hourly rate. Dish Network is notorious for micromanaging and implementing ridiculous rules. For example, you are required to rewire every house if it is not Dish Networks substandard cable. Yes. Substandard. Nearly every cable company and DirecTV uses a higher standard cable than Dish Network and they require you to rip it all out because it is not their specific vendor of cable. The idiotic nonsense is just getting started with that example.

Contractors: Stay away from these guys. DirecTV's HSPs and DNS outsource some of their work to smaller contract companies. If you go through these guys, they require you to provide everything up front, vehicle, gas, tools, ect... They pay a little better, but you take all the risk. Very often these contractors are snakes. The open up shop, land the contract and disappear in 6 months time. They back charge you (DirecTV's HSP's do this too) for numerous things, often for things out of your control. Stay away from them unless you find a very good one from talking to the guys who are contracting for them.

Retailers are the local guys around town. They land a sale and need someone to do the install. They pay by piece work too, but the almost always pay better and w/out all the nonsense you find with the groups above. If you are serious about getting in this industry, this is where you should start. Unfortunately, they have very experience tech's waiting in line outside their door.

My advise: Rethink this and find something better. You're going about this very wrong if you expect to make 52k a year. There is good money to be made in the satellite industry, but its all in commercial. There is nothing wrong with starting out with one of with one of these slave outfits to get the experience, but you need to have a very clear exit strategy in a year or two to move onto something better.

So, you've never actually worked directly for the company is what you're saying? Your facts are a little off and you sound very jaded. Are you an installer?

The day of the independent retailer is slowly becoming a thing of the past. Many of us old timers survive the slow times off our residuals (what’s left of them) and some may benefit from a class action suite 10 years in the making. Both DirecTV and Dish Network are trying to gain greater control over the installation and service areas. Today, if you are looking to get into the installation industry, I would recommend that you apply directly with the Home Service Provider for your area. Too many independent subcontractors hire guys on at the lowest rate they can and then charge you back for everything (kind of like what the providers do to the retailers if they bring low quality customers to the table). If the company doesn’t offer paid training, a company truck and benefits… just keep looking. If you decide to take the retailer path, set yourself up to do the things that the HSP's don't. Diversify your product line, offer a quality that is unmatched, and only do business with customers that pass the credit check with flying colors if there is a potential for a chargeback.
F>I>Y> I have 3 sons now in their 20’s. I have not encouraged them to look to this industry for their future!

Thank you for all of your input!
I am inclined away from it now but just in case I would like to know if none of the installer jobs are availble in your city would you have to go all the way to the city where you want to get hired to do the interview without knowing whether you would get the job or not?

So, you've never actually worked directly for the company is what you're saying? Your facts are a little off and you sound very jaded. Are you an installer?
I worked as a sub for one of DirecTV's HSP's. My contracting company was fair, not great, but not bad either, despite the nearly unanimous bad mouthing from all the other subs. I understood crap rolled downhill and the tech is left holding the bag.
I have a very poor opinion of Dish Network, starting from their CEO all the way to how they treat their techs...not that DirecTV is the golden child.
I handle commercial, and its night and day compared to working for Dish or DirecTv. Everyone treats you with respect and my pay is negotiable. If I have to put up with silly nonsense, its due to government regulations. Unless someone is wanting to make a career in this field, I will try my best to talk them out of working in this industry.

Status
Please reply by conversation.