What are you thoughts about Bonds passing Ruth and Breaking Aaron HR Record?

I guess I don't understand the whole asterisk thing. Wouldn't this be like putting an asterisk next to Maris' 61 HRs in 61? I understand that these are two completely different issues, but at the time at least some people thought it was good idea to do it to Maris.

Although, you may think so now, is it possible that your point of view may change?? What if there are no findings of steroid abuse?

Are we going to start labeling each homer as cheap for everyone that is hit when the wind is blowing out at Wrigley? What about when batters face horrible pitchers? Don't forget 1987, there was a big issue b/c everyone felt the ball was juiced. Any asterisks there?

Don't get me wrong, I find it hard to believe that these guys didn't take roids, but where is the proof?

Let whatever records there are stand. They will be broken.

vurbano said:
I think Bonds should be banned from Baseball in any phase, along with Sosa, Mcguire, Giambi, Canseco these people are guilty of stealing wages from clean players IMO. It doesnt matter if baseball had a drug policy or not. Steriods are ILLEGAL. If its proven they took them, they should recieve a jail sentence for FRAUD, THEFT, ILLEGAL DRUG USE, and PURCHASING ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES. Maybe that would send a message. YES make an example of them. The commissioner is an absolute JOKE starting an investigation 10-20 years too late with no authority to make anyone say anything. ANd then to act surprised about it? He and baseball have as much integrity as Vince Mcmahon and the WWE. :rolleyes:

LOL This is so true! At the same time i know MLB new about this but the game was almost dead and the Home Runs brought people back. The bad thing is No one will truly ever get in trouble Baseball did not have a steroid rule for a reason and still would not have one but Canseco wrote a book and all hell broke loose.

Even if he does pass Ruth, the records should stand on their own as they are totally different eras. Think about it. When Bonds travels, he travels first class in jets; Ruth travelled on trains and busses to get to games. The balls and bats are totally different. The technology is nowhere the same. It's like comparing Bobby Jones to Tiger Woods and saying that Tiger is so much better because he drove the ball further.

You can't compare records from the 1930's side-by-side to records from the 2000's. Of course, people will .... but will I really care?

1. If he and others were doing anything; baseball was ALSO complicate, so go for the record.

2. No one knew or cared to test athletes back in the day for anything, even though many said they took speed, coke, and other things to "get up for the games", even back in the Babe days.

3. If they have always tested clean for anything banned, then go for the records.

4. I say he passes Babe by a few and quits, never trying to break Hank.

5. About the BOOKS and their hypocrisy. They want to talk about the athletes and that they MAY have cheated or skirted rules to play ball get big contracts, but they don't want to talk about how they obtained illegally received and illegally leaked grand jury and other reports to create their works FOR MONEY, their book deals! Hypocrisy! So screw them too!

Last edited:
Paradox-SJ said:
FACT: Steriods are NOT illegal.

Anabolic steriods are illegal and available only by prescription from a doctor.

"Concerns over the growing illicit market and the prevalence of abuse, combined with the possibility of harmful longterm effects of steroid use, led the U.S. Congress in 1991 to place anabolic steroids into Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). The CSA defines anabolic steroids as any drug or hormonal substance chemically and pharmacologically related to testosterone (other than estrogens, progestins, and corticosteroids) that promotes muscle growth. Most illicit anabolic steroids are sold at gyms, competitions, and through the mail. For the most part, these substances are smuggled into the United States. In addition, a significant number of counterfeit products are sold as anabolic steroids, particularly via mail order from websites posing as overseas pharmacies.
On January 20, 2005, the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004 took effect, amending the Controlled Substance Act to place both anabolic steroids and prohormones on a list of controlled substances, making possession of the banned substances a federal crime."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabolic_steroid#Administration

Why dont you go try to buy some infront of a police officer Sparky. The are illegal to buy, possess and use without a prescription. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
BlackHitachi said:
LOL This is so true! At the same time i know MLB new about this but the game was almost dead and the Home Runs brought people back. The bad thing is No one will truly ever get in trouble Baseball did not have a steroid rule for a reason and still would not have one but Canseco wrote a book and all hell broke loose.

The point is, this shouldnt have anything to do with breaking baseballs rules. Federal laws have been broken and people should be behind bars. The idea of letting baseball police itself is akin to letting a whore test herself for VD? You think she's gonna take herself off the street and starve?

What upsets me even more are these idiots that run around screaming that congress should get their nose out of it. Excuse me? Baseball obviously cant do it themselves theyve proven that. Let congress and law enforcement have their way and clean this mess up. A mess thats been around at least 20 YEARS!!!!!!

Last edited:
vurbano said:
How ignorant. Anabolic steriods are illegal and available only by prescription from a doctor.
Well, it's not that ignorant.
Another way of saying your sentence would be "Anabolic steroids are legal if prescribed by a doctor", which of course means that they're not always illegal. If available by prescription they're no more illegal than Vicodin or Tylenol 3 -- it's all in how you obtain them. Why not just say "cars are illegal and available only by purchasing them" instead of "cars are legal unless you steal them"? Now if Mr. Bonds would just produce his prescription, this whole mess goes away, right?:p

vurbano said:
On January 20, 2005, the Anabolic Steroid Control Act of 2004 took effect, amending the Controlled Substance Act to place both anabolic steroids and prohormones on a list of controlled substances, making possession of the banned substances a federal crime."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anabolic_steroid#Administration
January 5, 2005? So you're saying it wasn't illegal back when Bonds was on the 'roids? Good deal -- one less thing he has to worry about. Since possission of the banned substances became a federal crime, he's been being tested hasn't he? I haven't heard of any positive results on him. So I guess we can't hang him for that one either.

vurbano said:
Why dont you go try to buy some infront of a police officer Sparky. The are illegal to buy, possess and use without a prescription. :rolleyes:
Well, he'd be perfectly within the law to fill a prescription for these legal drugs in front of a police officer.:devil:

vurbano said:
The point is, this shouldnt have anything to do with breaking baseballs rules. Federal laws have been broken and people should be behind bars.
This I agree with a hundred percent. I have no problem with prosecuting people who break federal laws. But it would be a waste of time and money if they can't prove the charges.

Digital Dude said:
I like the fan at tonight's game that threw a syringe at him. As long as there wasn't a needle attached.

Yep, he/she embarrassed themselves and friends and the city. What an inbred POS this person is. Now the question begs how they got it into the stadium. This is as bad as human rejects throwing glass bottles like Ritalin filled babies at refs because of one call. No class, no common sense, no education, AND NO RESPECT FOR THEMSELVES or their great city.

guys,

ole barry must be a human magnet. when him and bonilla were in pittsburgh playing for the pirates, fans used to pelt them with 9v batteries. go figure. LOL

i forgot, he is who they perfected that stunt on...but B&B got it too....

and IMHO parker brought that on himself, talking down on CLEMENTE!!!!!!!!!

I wish Bonds would just go away. He made his money, nobody cares about him. Major baseball will now try to pretend his breaking the record is real just so they can make money.....just go away!

TheTimm said:
Well, it's not that ignorant.
Another way of saying your sentence would be "Anabolic steroids are legal if prescribed by a doctor", which of course means that they're not always illegal. If available by prescription they're no more illegal than Vicodin or Tylenol 3 -- it's all in how you obtain them. Why not just say "cars are illegal and available only by purchasing them" instead of "cars are legal unless you steal them"? Now if Mr. Bonds would just produce his prescription, this whole mess goes away, right?:p

January 5, 2005? So you're saying it wasn't illegal back when Bonds was on the 'roids? Good deal -- one less thing he has to worry about. Since possission of the banned substances became a federal crime, he's been being tested hasn't he? I haven't heard of any positive results on him. So I guess we can't hang him for that one either.

Well, he'd be perfectly within the law to fill a prescription for these legal drugs in front of a police officer.:devil:
You are playing word games in an attempt to make a ridiculous point. One that any reational person would laugh at. I guess Morphine and Methadone is "legal" too if you get a prescription. Making a comparison to tylenol is ABSURD! You can get those drug you mentioned from any doctor for a little muscle pain or a tooth ache :rolleyes: Go try and obtain some anabolic steriods.

I think anabolic steriods were illegal back in the 90's. I just quoted one article on the net. If you want to research it go ahead. Here's another:

"Concerns over the growing illicit market and the prevalence of abuse, combined with the possibility of harmful longterm effects of steroid use, led the U.S. Congress in 1991 to place anabolic steroids into Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). " - Wikipedia

If you can find a doctor who will write a prescription for them go right ahead, but I dont think you can unless you are recovering from some sort of horrible muscle injury and I dont think they are as potent as the black market stuff.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
You are playing word games in an attempt to make a ridiculous point. One that any reational person would laugh at. I guess Morphine and Methadone is "legal" too if you get a prescription. Making a comparison to tylenol is ABSURD! You can get those drug you mentioned from any doctor for a little muscle pain or a tooth ache :rolleyes: Go try and obtain some anabolic steriods.

I think anabolic steriods were illegal back in the 90's. I just quoted one article on the net. If you want to research it go ahead. Here's another:

"Concerns over the growing illicit market and the prevalence of abuse, combined with the possibility of harmful longterm effects of steroid use, led the U.S. Congress in 1991 to place anabolic steroids into Schedule III of the Controlled Substances Act (CSA). " - Wikipedia

If you can find a doctor who will write a prescription for them go right ahead, but I dont think you can unless you are recovering from some sort of horrible muscle injury and I dont think they are as potent as the black market stuff.
I'm not playing word games any more than you are -- and I don't feel my point to be any more ridiculous than yours, just in opposition to it. And yes, morphine is used as a painkiller in hospitals, and methadone is used to ease withdrawal symptons in heroin addicts (I think -- I 'm no doctor). Sounds legal to me. Oh, wait -- :rolleyes: -- there, now my point seems as obvious and rational as yours, right? :rolleyes:
And for the record, I am not the one comparing Tylenol 3 and Vicodin to anabolic steroids. You are. You're the one who posted a link to an act that lumps them together. So yes, they are comparable in terms of legality and harm and such, according to your source:
Schedule III drugs
Findings required:

(A) The drug or other substance has a potential for abuse less than the drugs or other substances in schedules I and II.
(B) The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
(C) Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to moderate or low physical dependence or high psychological dependence.
These drugs are available only by prescription, though control of wholesale distribution is somewhat less stringent than Schedule II drugs.

Drugs on this schedule include:

Anabolic steroids;
Intermediate-acting barbiturates, such as talbutal;
Ketamine, a drug that was originally developed as a milder substitute for PCP (primarily to be used as a human anesthetic) but has since become popular as a veterinary anesthetic;
Paregoric;
Xyrem, a preparation of GHB used to treat narcolepsy. Xyrem is in Schedule III but with a restricted distribution system;
Marinol, a synthetic form of THC used to treat nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy, as well as appetite loss caused by AIDS;
Hydrocodone / Codeine, when compounded with an NSAID(e.g. Vicoprofen, when compounded with Ibuprofen) or with paracetamol (e.g. Vicodin / Tylenol 3);
Rohypnol (Flunitrazepam). Flunitrazepam was placed in Schedule IV in 1984 and moved to Schedule III in 1995, but the DEA is considering moving it into Schedule I because of widespread non-medical use, and the fact that flunitrazepam is not approved by the FDA. It is best known as a date rape drug but is also fairly widely used in recreational ways. Flunitrazepam is already classified as a Schedule I drug in several states.
And I'm not doing any more research on this. We just have different ideas of what "illegal" means apparently. I"m just saying that they are not just flat-out across-the-board illegal. And they're not. I'm not the one who posted that someone is "ignorant", when he isn't. He just disagrees with you, and rightfully so IMO.
As far as this relates to Barry Bonds, I thought it was obvious from my tone that I don't think he obtained his steroids legally (although with his kinda money, he probably could find a "doctor" to write him a script for anything he wants!).

TheTimm said:
As far as this relates to Barry Bonds, I thought it was obvious from my tone that I don't think he obtained his steroids legally (although with his kinda money, he probably could find a "doctor" to write him a script for anything he wants!).
I have the feeling these guys have shady doctors writing their prescriptions. Somebody like Dr. Vinny Goombatz.:D

TheTimm said:
When I was using the term illegal it reffered to illegally obtaining and using the product, and you knew that. Congratulations on crapping all over the thread. I doubt he could find a doctor to do it. The Doc would lose his lisence to practice. Anabolic steriods are now in the same category as cocaine. I suppose you dont consider cocaine an illegal drug either.

Last edited:
vurbano said:
When I was using the term illegal it reffered to illegally obtaining and using the product, and you knew that. ...
Just as the Babe was illegally obtaining and using alcohol. Prohibition, remember. That was the Federal law at the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts