What are you thoughts about Bonds passing Ruth and Breaking Aaron HR Record?

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
Should Major League Baseball put an asterik on Bonds records?

*Steroid Era or Under a Cloud of Steroids.

I do not care if Bonds help his team but I still believe that the 61 single season HR record stand and that Sosa McGuire and Bonds all should have "*" over any record they broke or will break.

Wait -- I thought all these steroids weren't actually banned by baseball until recently. Am I misinformed? If so, why the asterisks?

Don't get me wrong, I don't think for a second that these guys ballooned up naturally -- but if it wasn't against the rules at the time, how is it fair to punish them now?

And if I am wrong and they were indeed banned back in the day, I still want proof. "Just look at them" isn't good enough. With the absence of proof, how would we know where to draw the line? Just go back and say ohlook at the weight Pudge lost when they banned steroids -- he must've been on something. And then strike his numbers from the books? Maybe his team forfeits every game he played in? Just has too much of witch hunt feel to it for my tastes -- although I do recognize that there quite likely are many true "witches" in this case, I'll be needing some proof and/or admissions before we start burning their records/numbers at the stake -- and one of these days I'd like to find out for sure what was banned and when.

My "solution"? Un-ban the 'roids! Sure they may be killing the guys and all -- what do I care? Look how far the ball goes! Wheeeeeee!;)

USA Today in an article printed 1/12/2005 said:
Evolution of the steroid policy

Before 2002, Major League Baseball had no official policy on steroid use among players. As part of a collective bargaining agreement, players and owners agree to hold survey testing in 2003. If more than 5% of results from the anonymous tests are positive, formal testing and penalties will be put into place the next year.

• Baseball announces after the season that 5% to 7% of test results were positive, triggering the new policy in 2004.

• Each player is tested once a year in season. A first positive test results in treatment, followed by a 15-day suspension for a second positive and up to a year suspension for a fifth positive. The result is no player is suspended for steroid use.

2005 Baseball agrees to a new policy. Banned substances include steroids, steroid precursors, designer steroids, masking agents and diuretics. There will be one unannounced mandatory test of each player during the season. In addition, there will be testing of randomly selected players, with no maximum number. And there will be random testing during the offseason. The penalties for a positive result are, first positive, 10 days; second, 30 days; third, 60 days; fourth, one year, and all without pay.

Baseball's new steroid policy

Banned substances

• Steroids, steroid precursors and designer steroids, as well as masking agents and diuretics.

Testing

• One unannounced mandatory test of each player during season.

• Random testing of selected players, with no maximum number.

• Random testing during the offseason.

Suspensions (all without pay)

• First positive test: 10 days.

• Second positive test: 30 days.

• Third positive test: 60 days.

• Fourth positive test: One year.
Just sayin'.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2005-01-12-steroid-policy_x.htm

Unfortunately, it's impossible to undo or correct what has been an accepted practice in baseball over the past 20 years. What's right and what's fair in this situation? Personally, I don't think you can negate the home run records, but I strongly feel that Bonds should walk-away from baseball (and baseball should pay him to do so) for the good of the game. Mr. Bonds will have a much nicer life after baseball if he walks and talks...the fans will forgive him. If not, let's just say I feel his post-baseball life will not be a happy one.

I think Bonds should be banned from Baseball in any phase, along with Sosa, Mcguire, Giambi, Canseco these people are guilty of stealing wages from clean players IMO. It doesnt matter if baseball had a drug policy or not. Steriods are ILLEGAL. If its proven they took them, they should recieve a jail sentence for FRAUD, THEFT, ILLEGAL DRUG USE, and PURCHASING ILLEGAL SUBSTANCES. Maybe that would send a message. YES make an example of them. The commissioner is an absolute JOKE starting an investigation 10-20 years too late with no authority to make anyone say anything. ANd then to act surprised about it? He and baseball have as much integrity as Vince Mcmahon and the WWE. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
vurbano said:
I think Bonds should be banned from Baseball in any phase, along with Sosa, Mcguire, Giambi, Canseco these people are guilty of stealing wages from clean players IMO. It doesnt matter if baseball had a drug policy or not. Steriods are ILLEGAL. Maybe if its proven they took them, they should recive a short jail sentence to make a point. YES make an example of them. The commissioner is an absolute JOKE starting an investigation 10-20 years too late with no authority to make anyone say anything. ANd then to act surprised about it? He and baseball have as much integrity as Vince Mcmahon and the WWE. :rolleyes:
Assuming that taking steriods is illegal, and I'm not sure that's true, then should we write off all Babe Ruth's records from the prohibition era, since we all know he drank?

I don't know Mr. Bonds personally. Therefore all the "facts" I know about him are at least second hand and likely rather distorted to suit the reporter. So perhaps I don't have an accurate picture of him overall. And as an (ex) Pirates fan, I'll also admit to some predisposed negative bias towards him.

That said, IMO, Mr. Bonds might go down as one of the greatest MLB players of all times, and at the same time as a complete failure as a human being. Steroid use aside, during his career it was (reportedly) all about him. He (reportedly) refused to sleep in the same hotel as his teammates, eat the same meals, etc. What a role model for our youth! Perhaps he has done some meaningful charitable good outside of the game (more than the "token" amount all players do), but I'm not aware of it if he has. In any case, I think I know everything about Mr. Bonds that I need to know.

Frankly, Mr. Bonds is one of the many reasons I am no longer a MLB fan at all. If it was all played-out strictly on the field then maybe I and a lot of others would have a different opinion. In recent years I have become much more enamored with the minor league teams and their style of play. No primadonnas there! You can park for free (or maybe a buck) at a local minor league ballpark, get great seats for less than $10, get a beer for less than $5, watch a great, competitive game, and everyone goes home a winner! That's all I want from "America's greatest pasttime", and all I'm willing to pay for it...

mdonnelly said:
Assuming that taking steriods is illegal, and I'm not sure that's true, then should we write off all Babe Ruth's records from the prohibition era, since we all know he drank?
It is illegal and he took them specifically to improve his perfomance, Ive never heard of alcohol improving athletic performance.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The Bonds thing is funny. If you look at the legaleeze he hasnt broken any rules. There is enough evidence that he did juice. Anyone that thinks otherwise, I have a bridge to sell. I just think its funny that while no technical bylaws were broken, he still cheated. Common sense tells you that. But then, this is about money and that doesnt apply.

The guy does sound like a total jerk. I really dont care about the record books as I am pretty much done with baseball as well. Not necessary this juicer, but the lack of team loyalty on both ends of the spectrum (owners and players). It seems only fans are loyal even though we are treated like milking cows to pull as much money as they can.

The Johnny Damon move was my last straw. I get players want more money but I've had it with fans believing in teams when the players could care less where they play as long as someone is willing to pay them more money. Now I dont fully blame this all on Damon but its just business and all to regular for this to happen. I've just had enough.

I still like sports but I just loosing interest. I still enjoy NFL but NBA, NHL, MLB, eh whatever. I check in now and then but I think there is way too much money and the fans are just there for the taking. I just feel bad for true fans that really want to watch and are willing to pay what they are being asked to pay. It has to stop at some point but unfortunately, as long as that die hard is still shelling out the dough, it will go up. I just put my line in the sand and it will be hard to get money out of my to support folks like Bonds.

vurbano said:
I think Bonds should be banned from Baseball in any phase, along with Sosa, Mcguire, Giambi, Canseco these people are guilty of stealing wages from clean players IMO. It doesnt matter if baseball had a drug policy or not. Steriods are ILLEGAL. Maybe if its proven they took them, they should recive a short jail sentence to make a point. YES make an example of them. The commissioner is an absolute JOKE starting an investigation 10 years too late with no authority to make anyone say anything. :rolleyes:
Good points, but this will never happen IMO. First, the MLB would have to admit culpability...which will never happen. Second, look at the MLB's poor history of dealing with repeat drug offenders. Third through Three Thousandth, look at the MLB's poor history of dealing with repeat drug offenders.

vurbano said:
It is illegal and he took them specifically to improve his perfomance, Ive never heard of alcohol improving athletic performance.:rolleyes:
...just made The Babe old, slow and fat ahead of his time. Honestly, have you ever heard of a police officer writing an awards for driving under the influence? And I'll bet Otis, the town drunk on the Andy Griffith Show, could have belted 60+ in his athletically altered state if this were true.:D

Definately wont happen. In fact I dont get the investigation at all. I just wish Bonds walked away last year and with the new Drug policy in effect, things could have started getting better. Wouldnt have fixed the past but at least put it behind. Now that you have all this still in the public, Bonds about to break records, a useless investigation, nothing is going to look good. But then, baseball deserves every minute of this crap. They let it happen, now they have to sleep in it.

vurbano said:
Thats the problem with any statement defending Bonds. Im sorry but as soon as I hear anything as ridiculous as that I stop reading.
Then maybe you missed the rest of my point. I certainly am not defending Barry Bonds. On balance the world would be a better place without him and his ilk. His whole story and the way so many of us bow at his alter are great examples of what's screwed-up in this country. And that goes to many professional players in all sports, and their owners, and their financial supporters, on and on ad nauseum... We really seem to have our priorities shuffled.

Those of us who want to protest Bonds' overinflated value to society try not so send him any of our money. I do that by boycotting MLB in all its forms. Unfortunately we can hardly avoid it completely if we buy cars or name brand products, etc. Some amount of almost everything I buy ends up in his pockets.

I'm sure when we're seeking entrance to the Pearly Gates questions on the application won't include "How many home runs did you hit?" and "How much $$ did you make doing that?"...

He broke not rules of the sport at the time...(they can not even prove scienctificly he took them)

FACT: Steriods are NOT illegal.
The FUD that the media puts out on this stuff is unbelievable. From misleading to out and out lies.

Whats the saying in NASCAR...if you aint cheating you aint trying?

If he broke the rules sure **** ban or remove his numbers...but if he was playing with in the boundires their is nothing anyone can say. That is if he took them...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts