What are your favorite rivalries that your teams are involved in?

As an English Football (Soccer) fan, I would say Manchester United vs Liverpool and Manchester United vs Arsenal. These matches are usually explosive from the first whistle.

:up:up:up:up:up

For me it's....

Steelers-Ravens

Pens-Capitals

Pens - Flyers

One I wish they would bring back....

Pitt - Penn State

Well we know as long as that old fart is still in charge at Penn State that will never happen because he is STILL mad at Pitt.

And once he's gone, it won't be the same !

Once JoPa is gone, I think they will. Especially since splitting the Big Ten into 2 divisions means they'll remain at 8 conference games, allowing for 4 OOC games.

Not to mention the money that a Pitt/Penn St. game will bring in.

Thought I heard something about them going to 9 conference games ?

I could understand 9 when they were 11, but splitting into 2 divisions makes 8 work better, you could play everyone in your division, and half from the other.

I don't remember which year they were talking about seeing there's a lot of talk about NEXT year already going on.

Salsa, which team gets the Raiders blood boiling more- Denver or Kansas City?

Well....I think there is little more hate-hate relationships between the Raiders and Chiefs because of Marty Schottenheimer and his incredible hatred for the Raiders. He always made it fun. Mike Shanna-a$$ gave it a special feel when the Raiders would win in Mile high. There use to be a time when there was a good rivalry against the Steelers during their heyday and our heyday. I really do not get too jacked-up for any time in particular. I just want them to win.;)

And once he's gone, it won't be the same !

Once he's gone it will be better. IMO he isn't really doing anything, he's just a statue to show recruits. The coaches are running the game, he just makes decisions about games and teams to play.

Once he's gone it will be better. IMO he isn't really doing anything, he's just a statue to show recruits. The coaches are running the game, he just makes decisions about games and teams to play.

Better ?
Like you said, he's basically a sideline bystander.

Of course were on opposite sides of the situation.

They will get better recruits when he's gone I think.

Better ?
Like you said, he's basically a sideline bystander.

Of course were on opposite sides of the situation.

They will get better recruits when he's gone I think.

It will be better when he is gone that maybe the Pitt/Penn State games might come back.

These matches are usually explosive from the first whistle.
Regrettably, unless you're completely invested in the game, it can be decidedly boring. Such is not to say that other sports don't suffer the same problem, but they at least have statistics to keep up with. Soccer can go on for many minutes without anything to follow in terms of player or team statistics.

I think my major beef with soccer is a result of the playing field being much too large. It needs to be more like ice hockey, lacrosse or water polo where shots on goal can come relatively quickly.

Regrettably, unless you're completely invested in the game, it can be decidedly boring. Such is not to say that other sports don't suffer the same problem, but they at least have statistics to keep up with. Soccer can go on for many minutes without anything to follow in terms of player or team statistics.

I think my major beef with soccer is a result of the playing field being much too large. It needs to be more like ice hockey, lacrosse or water polo where shots on goal can come relatively quickly.

Interesting idea Harshness !

Make the field one third of what it is and see how the game goes... :D

But not to Steelers fans though. All the ones here have transferred the hatred to the Raisins. The new pseudo-Browns have been too bad to even consider a rivalry.

When the Browns beat the Stillers twice this year, making the streak 3 in a row, the rivalry will be renewed.

When the Browns beat the Stillers twice this year, making the streak 3 in a row, the rivalry will be renewed.
Not like it was though. The Steelers fans pretty much moved the emotional attachment to the rivalry to Baltimore with the team.

One day there might be a new one with the new Browns, but not on the level of the old one with the the original Browns/Ravens.

In the minds of the Cleveland fans there might be, but not the Pittsburgh fans. And a real rivalry needs to go both ways.

Not like it was though. The Steelers fans pretty much moved the emotional attachment to the rivalry to Baltimore with the team.

One day there might be a new one with the new Browns, but not on the level of the old one with the the original Browns/Ravens.

In the minds of the Cleveland fans there might be, but not the Pittsburgh fans. And a real rivalry needs to go both ways.

Derwin is correct, the rivalry with the Ravens is a Very Strong one.

Of course the Browns fans only WANT a rivalry with the Steeler's, but they won't get that rivalry till the learn how to SPELL and RESPECT them.

From a competitive standpoint, I can understand the Steeler/Raven rivalry, but from a HATRED standpoint, Cleveland despises the Rat birds! Perhaps some modern day Cleveland fans despise the Raven even more than Pittsburgh just because of the fact they stole our team.

From a competitive standpoint, I can understand the Steeler/Raven rivalry, but from a HATRED standpoint, Cleveland despises the Rat birds! Perhaps some modern day Cleveland fans despise the Raven even more than Pittsburgh just because of the fact they stole our team.

Browns are a minor inconvenience for the Steeler's this day and age. :D

Browns are a minor inconvenience for the Steeler's this day and age. :D

Unfortunately I'm all too understanding of this. I miss the way it used to be and hope we can build this thing up again. The cities themselves have a rivalry between them and once the teams become competitive again, I have no doubt it will be a good thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)