What can I expect from a Dentist's appointment tomorrow after 20+ years absense

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just went to the dentist for the first time in 25 years over the past 2 week as I have had a major toothache which has given me a headache for the last month.

Times have changed since the last time I went and I have found a great dentist.

The full checkout was an hour and a half process, they took lot of pictures of me first and of my smile. They then took about 18 xrays in my mouth. It was all instant so I saw the xray picture on the HDTV in front of me instantly after they took each pic. then mirro and put it in my mouth and took pictures of my mouth looking down and up in the mirror.

They used some plastic things to pull my mouth open and took more digital pictures of my smile. then the dentist came in and took this device that loooked like a later pointer and put it in my mouth and he took a picture of each tooth.

Surprisingly my mouth was in very good shape for not being in a dentists office for a long long time. Although a lot of my fillings I had when I was a kid were cracked and will need to be changed... but they have neat teeth colored fillings so I can get rid of all this silver crap in my mouth... I am looking forward to doing that. :)

They found my problem I have one tooth in the back that is cracked, and one on the front (thats the one causing the pain) the pain is in the root. They are trying to figure now if the tooth can be saved or if it needs to be pulled. He would rather do a root canal lfor it and put a post in it and crown it.

My next appointment was for a full cleaning, and times have changed there as well, they basically use a pressure washer to clean all the plaque off. Didn't hurt at all and they gave me headphone and the remote for the HDTV and I watched the price is right which she worked.

Today I go in and they are going to figure out what to do with my problem tooth... I know I need three teeth out already (The cracked one in the back and two wisdom teeth that just started coming in and they are coming out sideways instead of down...)

This way if I need the front one out they can do it when I am knocked out and they are doing the other three.

So far I have been quite impressed with the Dentist, we are the same age (I am 2 weeks older then him) and hes a really nice guy and runs a hell of a practice.

I got to leave work early as they gave me soome sedation pills I need to take an hour before I go in as they will be digging around in my gums seeing what can be done with the bad front tooth.

Dont know how I will be feeling later, so if I am not around now you know why. :)

If you have been scared about going don't be the technology has changed a lot. The key if finding a good dentist, and that might be the hard part.

I was in the same boat a few years back.I have had 7 root canals since 2001 & I am starting my 8th in two weeks.I was nervous as sh*t for the 1st root canal,but the rest were alot easier to handle.I didn't go for almost 16 years before that too.Go get you check ups & cleanings and avoid this people.

Expect a recommendation for implants. My dad went to the dentist at the age of 79, and he ended up with all new teeth. Of course he died before paying the $14K bill. What the hell was the dentist and my father thinking?

I just went to the dentist for the first time in 25 years over the past 2 week as I have had a major toothache which has given me a headache for the last month.

Times have changed since the last time I went and I have found a great dentist.

The full checkout was an hour and a half process, they took lot of pictures of me first and of my smile. They then took about 18 xrays in my mouth. It was all instant so I saw the xray picture on the HDTV in front of me instantly after they took each pic. then mirro and put it in my mouth and took pictures of my mouth looking down and up in the mirror.

They used some plastic things to pull my mouth open and took more digital pictures of my smile. then the dentist came in and took this device that loooked like a later pointer and put it in my mouth and he took a picture of each tooth.

Surprisingly my mouth was in very good shape for not being in a dentists office for a long long time. Although a lot of my fillings I had when I was a kid were cracked and will need to be changed... but they have neat teeth colored fillings so I can get rid of all this silver crap in my mouth... I am looking forward to doing that. :)

They found my problem I have one tooth in the back that is cracked, and one on the front (thats the one causing the pain) the pain is in the root. They are trying to figure now if the tooth can be saved or if it needs to be pulled. He would rather do a root canal lfor it and put a post in it and crown it.

My next appointment was for a full cleaning, and times have changed there as well, they basically use a pressure washer to clean all the plaque off. Didn't hurt at all and they gave me headphone and the remote for the HDTV and I watched the price is right which she worked.

Today I go in and they are going to figure out what to do with my problem tooth... I know I need three teeth out already (The cracked one in the back and two wisdom teeth that just started coming in and they are coming out sideways instead of down...)

This way if I need the front one out they can do it when I am knocked out and they are doing the other three.

So far I have been quite impressed with the Dentist, we are the same age (I am 2 weeks older then him) and hes a really nice guy and runs a hell of a practice.

I got to leave work early as they gave me soome sedation pills I need to take an hour before I go in as they will be digging around in my gums seeing what can be done with the bad front tooth.

Dont know how I will be feeling later, so if I am not around now you know why. :)

If you have been scared about going don't be the technology has changed a lot. The key if finding a good dentist, and that might be the hard part.

yeap forgot to also mention how HI TECH dentists are now compared to 1985 LOL
See guys even SCOTT has not been to a dentist in 20+ years LOL

I am sure there will be more guys/gals posting their stories soon

very-ugly-women-teeth-girl-vampire-pictures.jpg

I went to the dentist after a 20+ year hiatus somewhere in my late 30s. At that time all I did was brush once a day. I was getting to the point that every time I spit out after the brushing it was, shall I say, "rosy" (bleeding). And I had pain in my upper cheeks due to crooked wisdom teeth. The first thing the dentist asked was "So why are you coming to me now ??" He then took x-rays.

Before the dentist would take me on I had to have those 2 upper wisdom teeth removed by an oral surgeon. Both had cavities. That was fairly non-eventful - both done at the same time under a general anesthesia - and covered by medical insurance. Apparently I never grew lower wisdoms. The upper "pockets" healed quickly and my cheek pain was gone instantly!

I then had to have "root planings" (deep cleanings) in 4 sessions, each under only a local anesthetic. They were a bit painful. This was for removal of severe plaque that was causing deep pockets and the bleeding. Following each treatment I had to use a special rinse that the dentist gave me for about a week. That restored my oral health, and over time the "deep pockets" (which he measures now and then) have returned to almost nornal. My dental insurance picked-up most of the cost of the planings.

None of my remaining teeth (I have all but the wisdoms) have any cavities even after another 20+ years. I have regular check-ups now for simple cleanings and bi-annual x-rays plus the oral cancer screenings they give now. I'm still only brushing once a day and never flossing unless something is stuck. The dentist and hygenist both give me occasional grief about my limited routine, but both admit "Why fix what isn't broken?" !!! All is good! (KoW !!!)

Last edited:
Unfortunately for me, I did not go for 10-15 years, and my gingivitis turned into periodontal disease, and my gums are receding. No problems with the teeth, but the gums are going away between the teeth, and I might lose a couple of molars.

Moral of my story - Go to the dentist.

Unfortunately for me, I did not go for 10-15 years, and my gingivitis turned into periodontal disease, and my gums are receding. No problems with the teeth, but the gums are going away between the teeth, and I might lose a couple of molars.

Same here.

I think I'd be in the same boat. I go every 6 months. I'm not sure I like the way his eyes light up when he sees me walk in the door! ;)

Good luck with your gums. Can they do anything to stop or reverse that?

Well, just got back from the periodontist. Had 2 bone grafts put in today, where not only the gum but the bone receded away from the root of the teeth. Getting my 4 wisdom teeth cut out was nothing compared to this.

Once you get periodontal disease, you can slow it down if caught early (oops! not me), but it will just continue to degrade your gums & bone. The grafts were to help support 2 teeth so that we can hopefully save them. My molar on the other side has barely any bone supporting it, and is dead inbetween the roots, so the dentist didn't want to even mess with trying to save it. He says it will eventually loosen and fall out.

Flossing is the big thing. My teeth are great, but it's the flossing that is key to saving the gums. And I never used to floss.........so that helped speed things in my case, as well.

So, Paul, get to the dentist, or periodontist, quick!!! before it's too late.

Routine six-month checkup, cleaning and cancer check but this time they took X-rays, total cost $204

OK here is my update for the last 2 weeks.

I had a 3 session deep cleaning done .. cost $275
Had 6 fillings done .. cost $125
and was given a special mouth wash to rinse 3 times a day for 7 days.. cost $0.00

So far so good, I go back to Dentist on the 16th, we'll see what changes by then.

You have really lucked out. In having the genes for such good teeth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)