What could old hughes equipment be good for?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jasontherock

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 29, 2008
One of the retailers I work for just pulled out two cases of Saudon dishes with some tiny lnbfs and asked me what i would give him for them. They look like they are 30-36" diameter. He has been sitting on them for years. They look like old hughs, like the kind that used telephone upload. My question is, are they good for anything? I figure the dishes would be, but how about the Lnbf?

One of the retailers I work for just pulled out two cases of Saudon dishes with some tiny lnbfs and asked me what i would give him for them. They look like they are 30-36" diameter. He has been sitting on them for years. They look like old hughs, like the kind that used telephone upload. My question is, are they good for anything? I figure the dishes would be, but how about the Lnbf?

I'll bet the lnbf's are basic single polarity Ku units, manually adjustable for horizontal or vertical polarity. They work just fine for a dedicated system where a fixed polarity is needed, as some of the FTA sats might require, like the one that carries White Springs Network. Then again, they might be voltage switched dual polarity, but that's doubtful if they're ancient and designed around the dedicated use of a single transponder. Sure, two cases are always worth something in our little world. Especially if built of a durable composite instead of stamped sheet metal - but not likely. Muzak dishes were configured like your description. Which reminds me, I have one to collect before it gets dumpstered.

-sidha

Last edited:
Iceberg, I can get a pic by this weekend but I might be able to get a part number to look up or some info off of the lnbf sooner. i do remember that they were linear. On another note, do you know where a good fox channel is at? Jason

direcPC

I think the one-way satellite internet service that was the prelude to Direcway (the 2way sat internet from Hughes) was called DirecPC. Don't know what type lnbf they had on them, I've kept my eyes open for one to snag but so far, none around here.

I think the one-way satellite internet service that was the prelude to Direcway (the 2way sat internet from Hughes) was called DirecPC. Don't know what type lnbf they had on them, I've kept my eyes open for one to snag but so far, none around here.

They used the gray Hughes cylindrical LNB's with C120 flange...single output with voltage polarity switching. I still have many of them...

Single output with voltage polarity switching.......perfect! All he needs is a 3x4 switch and he's in business.

They used the gray Hughes cylindrical LNB's with C120 flange...single output with voltage polarity switching. I still have many of them...

These are great LNBs, I have a box of them and they are very sensitive. I'd use them on everything if they had dual outputs or were stacked.

These are great LNBs, I have a box of them and they are very sensitive. I'd use them on everything if they had dual outputs or were stacked.

Yep those are great LNBs the only type that I use they do have a dual output model do a search on ebay I saw some on there awhile back.

OK, the brand is Fortec Star. Universal Single LNBF, model FSKU-V

LOW
Input 10.7-11.7
LO 9.75
Gain 56
V .7
NF .4

High
Input 11.7-12.75
LO 10.6
Gain 56
V .7
NF .4

The open case of dishes has three dishes but only two polar plates and only two lnbfs.

Iceberg, i cant figure out how to add a pic to this.

pictures

When you hit reply , scroll down below the text box to "manage attachments" That will let you find/upload from your computer. Seems like there's a rule that you have to have posted a certain # of messages before you can upload pics , check the rules out.

Trying to post pics now. Dish is 30"x32".

Attachments

• 53400089.JPG
    53400089.JPG
    486.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 53400090.JPG
    53400090.JPG
    201.8 KB · Views: 184
A Fortec FSKU-V is a single output, universal LNBF. I used to have one on my G-18 (at that time G-10R) dish, but I ditched it in favor of the correct feedhorn/LNB assembly for that dish.

In your receiver settings, it is a universal, with L.O. of 9750/10750. These will work for linear Ku band, but since they are universal, they limit your use of 22k switching.

So I would be better off using the old dish network bandstacked lnbfs? What does the 22K switching do?

The 22k switching on a Universal LNB selects the low and high band

The Universals will work great on that Fortec dish. I've used universals but switched to standard LNB's because they give more flexibility when adding switches

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Looking fo a H to H Motor greater than 80°

General information on getting started?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts