What do you Guys Think?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plywodstatebum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2004
A Secluded Beach In, Fl.
The guy said today at REX tv that if I wait till next Wed. I can get the Hitachi 57T500 for $1599.00 or the 57T600 for $1899.oo should I still go with the T500 model or get the T600 with the Tuner? Rex. is having a 1 day sale with a coupon for $400 off the Big Screens. Nice Guy to tell me that today.

I have no one to ask but you people in the Forums since I live in the Boonies...

Would you use the tuner for anything? 600 dollars buys a HD satellite system. How would you get your programming?

If I don't get the HD Tuner built into the TV I'll have to buy one to connect to my Dish Network, so I just thought it would be cheaper to pay $300.00 more now than $549.oo later to connect to the HD Reciever, since they don't give you one to use.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

The only reason to get one with a built in tuner is to get OTA HD channels. If you're out in the boonies you will have difficulty doing that.

Every satellite HD receiver nowadays has a built in OTA tuner.

I would use that $300 to get an HD receiver.

Depending on if you qualified for it you can lease an 811 HD Receiver from DISH. The 811 does have a built in OTA tuner.

The HD tuner in the TV has nothing to do with connecting to a HD satellite tuner. It is used to tune in OTA HD stations.

HD satellite receivers are required to receive HD content via satellite. Most (if not all) also include one (or two) OTA HD tuner(s).

So you could purchase the set with the OTA tuner (+300) and at a later date add a satellite HD receiver. Or you could purchase the set without the OTA tuner and add the satellite HD receiver later. Either way you will have the cost of the satellite HD receiver to add on to the cost of the TV.

The question you have to ask is whether the ability to pick up your local OTA HD channels (if any) while waiting to upgrade your satellite system to HD is worth the extra $300.

Hey Rex is a good place (they are headquartered right here in my hometown). :)

Thanks for the heads up, I'll stop in next Wednesday to see what's on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Home Theater Receivers: Get a cheap one or expensive one?

Wireless HD transmission to home theater devices advances

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)