What do you think?

scorpion251970

Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Aurora, IL
Does anybody think Voom the satellite provider will every come back? Does anybody wish it did? I sure do, I'm frankly sick of the crap Comcast passes as HD and the cost of getting channels I do want and the hundreds of channels I don't.

Visit the DISH Forum. Not many complaints from past VOOMERS there! I'm very pleased with the 942 and have started moving my programing from DirecTV to DISH as I had planned to do when VOOM added a HD DVR, but never happened. Also for the best deal contact The DISH STORE @ top of this page. (I did) Very happy with DISH HD & SD picture, something I'm surprised mysef at. OTA is even good, live or recordered! What are you waiting on? Enjoy your HD TV now and drop Comcast. Bill may even be lower, at least for the first few months.

scorpion251970 said:
Does anybody think Voom the satellite provider will every come back? Does anybody wish it did? I sure do, I'm frankly sick of the crap Comcast passes as HD and the cost of getting channels I do want and the hundreds of channels I don't.
No, I don't think it will ever come back. But I am with you -- I liked all Voom 21 originals as they were, and we have decided not to subscribe to "Voom-lite" on Dish. We are happy to rent videos until all Voom 21 are really available somewhere.

The field of DBS is now pretty much determined......

I don't think well see another challenger again in the area of DBS. With both services having multi-million customers, there's not many other customers out there that doesn't have one of the two main companies. It's been stated recently that any growth that will occur in DBS is going to be somewhat slim, since the two companies have grown closer to their potential for what customers they will have overall. I don't think there is room for a third DBS company. Any company doing so has got some guts as well because you're taking a lot of money to start up a business such as this and going against the odds like Voom did. If any DBS company or companies emerge, it will probably be a partnership-like deal that has happened with SkyAngel and Dish Network. If there is in fact any kind of influx of customers to either DBS provider, it will come probably from former C-band customers, since Motorola keeps reporting thousands of customers each month having their 4DTV receivers deactivated. The 4DTV receivers I usually see are 99% of the time because the customer is tired of the big dish and is switching over to DBS. Don't get me wrong, I love the big dish due to the unlimited bandwidth available and much higher bitrates, but the fact of the matter is that the average person drops something like this and switches to DBS because of convenience and the costs of keeping up such a system. I predict that the future of C-band will probably be commercialized and available only to cable or DBS providers.

As a former Voomer and now dVoomer I would jump the second a provider came along and offered me HD only everything that exists, along with an OTA tuner and yes a DVR, a sort of SkyAngel for HD followers. I'm there and if 2006 roles around with just more empty promises and past deadlines for HD from the old two DBS companies, I think the market would be aching for such a service.

1080iBeVuMin said:
No, I don't think it will ever come back. But I am with you -- I liked all Voom 21 originals as they were, and we have decided not to subscribe to "Voom-lite" on Dish. We are happy to rent videos until all Voom 21 are really available somewhere.

voom lite???? arent most if not all voom channels pretty much full strength, I could be wrong, but my voom channels look amazing

stuart628 said:
voom lite???? arent most if not all voom channels pretty much full strength, I could be wrong, but my voom channels look amazing
I am sorry I didn't explain it clearly. Voom had 21 commercial-free HD channels. Only 10 of those are carried by Dish. Old Voomers call them the "Voom10" as opposed to the original "Voom21".

I was referring to the Voom10 on Dish as "Voom-Lite" because only 10 of the 21 channels are there. I was not referring to the picture quality which I have no doubt is excellent.

I just miss my genuine commercial-free Voom service and will wait patiently until somebody carries the full Voom21 (or more!).

1080iBeVuMin said:
I am sorry I didn't explain it clearly. Voom had 21 commercial-free HD channels. Only 10 of those are carried by Dish. Old Voomers call them the "Voom10" as opposed to the original "Voom21".

I was referring to the Voom10 on Dish as "Voom-Lite" because only 10 of the 21 channels are there. I was not referring to the picture quality which I have no doubt is excellent.

I just miss my genuine commercial-free Voom service and will wait patiently until somebody carries the full Voom21 (or more!).

okay, much better, I just got the voom and love it, I think Iam hooked, cant wait to see the other 11 hopefully soon!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts