What does Voom Need to do Most to Attract New Customers?

jame_g

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2004
Richmond, VA
What do you think is the most critical thing Voom needs to do to attract new customers? Not necessarily what you want the most for yourself.

I've eliminated the DVR for two reasons. One, it's supposedly due out soon, and two it would probably win hands down. Also, no "better installers" or "thier own installlers" because this won't necessarily attract a new customer. It's more likely to cause a customer to cancel. (There's a limit of 10 options.)

- jame

(PS More Cable Favorites option should read "SD Channels" not "SF Channels")

DarrellP said:
You need to add a PVR, this is one of the top killers for Voom right now.

Yes, that's why it's not here, because I think it would easily take the top spot. Maybe I should have phrased the question starting with "Besides the PVR, What does Voom Need to do Most to Attract New Customers?"

- Jame

HDNet.

I know the locals would never happen, but I picked it as well, because I need a backup source when my antenna is screwing up. I currently have E*

I didn't vote, because frankly I have no idea which of those would most attract new subs. If there was an all of the above, I would've gone with that. I don't know if any single item on the list will suddenly start bringing in waves of new Voomers single-handedly. Do 'em all, or as many as possible -- bring in as many new guys as you can. And while you're at go ahead and train the installers better (it might actually bring in more subs if they stop hearing the horror stories when doing their research), and get the damned DVR out already.

On the DVR note, are there any numbers that tell what percentage of subs whose providers currently offer a DVR, have the DVR? Is this really something that's gonna bring in huge amounts of new subscribers? I'm not saying it isn't -- I just don't know anything about them, and don't personally have much interest in one. Obviously, people around here are clamoring for one, but let's face it -- we're freaks. Does Joe Six Pack place as much importance on a DVR (and an HD one at that) as folks around here do?

TheTimm said:
I didn't vote, because frankly I have no idea which of those would most attract new subs. If there was an all of the above, I would've gone with that. I don't know if any single item on the list will suddenly start bringing in waves of new Voomers single-handedly. Do 'em all, or as many as possible -- bring in as many new guys as you can.

This poll allows you to check off more than one box so that you can select your top 3 or 4 choices. If people select more than 4 or 5 though, the results won't really show anything worthwhile.

jame_g said:
This poll allows you to check off more than one box so that you can select your top 3 or 4 choices. If people select more than 4 or 5 though, the results won't really show anything worthwhile.
That's pretty much why I didn't vote. My vote wouldn't mean anything. I have absolutely no idea which of these would bring in more folks. I'm sure they'd each bring in some, but I think to make any real difference all of them -- and then some -- need to be addressed.

I think the price point is what scares off potenial new subs.

The $1 three room install deal takes a lot of the bite out of the cost and it's what made it a viable option for me.

The monthly fees I'm sure scare off people becaquse on the surface it seems like a lot. For me the Voom package with three recievers is still cheaper than Cox Cable's HD service. Cox's service has crap PQ, maybe three channels I don't get free OTA, and cost more than Voom. There is no comparing the two :).

Shawn

NONE OF THE ABOVE.

FIRE YOUR ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT.

I left VOOM because of the incredible difficulties with the accounting departement. For example, they still owe $58.11. Their most recent communique says:

Response (William M.) - 02/12/2005 04:08 AM
Thank you for choosing VOOM - HDTV Delivered!

I do apologize for any inconvenience that this has cause you. After researching your account, I have found that a refund was issued on Jan. 25th. Please allow 6 to 8 weeks to receive your refund.

Thank you for choosing VOOM - the leader in High Definition programming!

Tiffany P.
VOOM Email Support

Now they cut me off when they would not let me pay by check and insisted on a credit card charge. After I sent in a check by certified mail, they owed me $58 and from back taxes or something, but you do not see any rush for VOOM to pay.

They cut us off but are allowed to STEAL back. I went through this 8 months ago and it took 4 months to get a check and an email to Wilt.

jame_g said:
Dum, dum here didn't catch the multiple choice option...I voted for the Marketing, Advertising, Retail Presence, but would have also picked HD-LIL and Self-Installs.

I also agree that the DVR is urgent. People are trying to time-shift as much as they can in this techno-crazy world of ours, and people don't want to give up that option! :no

self install and HDnet. There are so many babes in bikinis on hdnet. Nothing on Voom. Its like Jerry Falwell TV.

what they need to do is informed hdtv owners about what hd tv really is.I know tons of people who say they have hd tvs and the picture is a bit better than there old standard tv and they think they have hd tv viewing.If they only knew that the difference is beyond there wildest dreams compared to standard def channels.So my top choice would be a really cool new commercial showing the difference and if you own an hdtv this is what you should be viewing ...

vurbano said:
self install and HDnet. There are so many babes in bikinis on hdnet. Nothing on Voom. Its like Jerry Falwell TV.

And here I thought E* was home of Jerry Falwell TV... :shocked

1) Fix the install and billing issues.

2) Let people know you don't have to have an HDTV just yet to use the service, and that it will work with a standard TV (albeit lower quality, but still works). Many people are under the impression that they can't even get Voom unless they have an HDTV (which could be hurting sub numbers now). I know people who aren't upgrading their TV's yet, but will be.

Amen and amen!!...

grinning-smiley-026.gif
grinning-smiley-026.gif
deeann said:
1) Fix the install and billing issues.

2) Let people know you don't have to have an HDTV just yet to use the service, and that it will work with a standard TV (albeit lower quality, but still works). Many people are under the impression that they can't even get Voom unless they have an HDTV (which could be hurting sub numbers now). I know people who aren't upgrading their TV's yet, but will be.

deeann said:

I agree, most people think voom is just for people with an HDTV, i didnt even know that voom offered sd channels until I called up and asked because they only advertise to hd users.

seriously people need to start paying way more attention to commericals. I saw a voom comerical back in September and they announced that they had local, cable favorites in sd and music channels from music choice. This is rediclous that sales men are still telling people that voom only has 36 channels of hd and that's it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts