What exactly is dvb-s2?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's essentially an upgraded version of DVB.

Although I may be mistaken (my wife says I am often) it does not require as much satellite bandwidth as DVB to provide the same services. Less bandwidth equals less cost to the signal supplier.

DVB-S2 will receive DVB signals as it is backward compatible. DVB receivers can't decode S2. I don't know if a DVB receiver will lock onto a DVB-S2 transponder or not. Others here may be able to say one way or another.

DVB-S2 is just another way to send channels up on a transponder. Its like DVB & DCII

DVB-S2 usually allows a company to send more channels up on a transponder...thus saving money.

Equity has a mux on G26 C-Band that is DVB-S2...they have 28 channels on a transponder :eek:

You need a bigger dish to get DVB-S2...as example the 6 foot dish wont lock those channels but a larger dish will

is it a better picture?

No ! Really, it's mostly advantageous for the broadcasting companies. It allows them to use better compression and get more channels into the available transponder bandwidth. You will notice that all the DVB-s2 implementations support mpeg4 ( h.264) compression, and 8psk modulation. All part of the "squeezing more data into the same space " story. If there is an advantage to us, it is that lower bandwidth prices will encourage more people to put their programming on the birds.
Hopefully, it'll give us more variety and choice than we have now. [edit] In fact, to be an old fogie about it, probably the best picture is a good analog signal. The real world is analog. When you introduce digital, you get a lot of advantages, but QUALITY of the pure analog signal is lost.

:)

Well I am going to have to disagree with y'all...my wife and I both think the picture on the Equity DVB-S2 channels is MUCH better than on G-18 ku. We switched just tonight between them and my wife even said the C-band DVB-S2 looked better.

:cool:

good news

I was about to make a crack like "wait 'till they do what Dish has done to theirs..."

But come to think of it, with all the subchannels coming on line with digital transmission in all their markets, . . .
With all the sales of HD TV sets with ATSC tuners . . .
With all the digital converter boxes being deployed . . .
The consumer will be able to tell the difference between a good picture and a great one.
So, it would really be in Equity's best interest to keep their picture as sparkling as possible to feed to all their markets! - :up

I've got somewhere around 48 digital OTA channels lit up here in the LA area.
Some are as pretty in 480i as HD.
Some suck like they're playing VHS tapes from the 80's (and maybe they are).
Which will we watch?
Sounds like Equity is stepping up!

Well I am going to have to disagree with y'all...my wife and I both think the picture on the Equity DVB-S2 channels is MUCH better than on G-18 ku. We switched just tonight between them and my wife even said the C-band DVB-S2 looked better.

:cool:

It's not the DVB-S2 that increases the video quality, it is them going to h.264 that does it.

Both of them allow for more channels on a certain amount of transponder space but h.264 compression(instead of MPEG2) increases the video quality.

The compression method (ANY) always distort original source by nature of losses compression; regarding H.264/AVC or VC-1 vs MPEG-2 - both have contribute losses to quality of signal; the question is addressed to an operator: what kind of profile he is running ?
More channels allowed by high ratio of 'squeezing', not by method. And it always bring degradation - it's just MPEG-4 with same picture quality taking less bandwidth on SAME source.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts