What happened to Coolsat?!?!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

K'bick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 29, 2008
Chicago Suburbs
Hello, I recently picked up a Coolsat 7100 pvr off ebay and except for no ability to edit my satellite list I am very happy with it.

Thinking that maybe they addressed this in a later version of software I went to coolsatusa.com only to find one of those lame placeholder websites that the domain name traders put up.

Does anyone know what happened to Coolsat's website? Did the company go under or did the site move? If the worst has happened and coolsat is no more does anyone know where I might be able to download coolsat software still?

Here's a c/p from another site , to bring you up to date:
Freetech says sorry and... // 2009-10-20

DISH Gets Its Apology

Back in late August we reported a significant victory for the DISH Network and the DBS platform’s security provider, NagraStar, as the duo won a mega ($106 million total) judgment against “free-to-air” provider Freetech. Freetech, as you might recall, was snatching the DISH signal and redistributing it – at significant profit – via its receivers.

The U.S. District Court of Northern California didn’t think too much of that and slapped a $97 million judgment against Freetech, $3 million against each of its three top officers plus it barred the company from reopening operations anywhere in the world. But money doesn’t always drive the point home. DISH wanted an apology as well.

Says DISH lawyer in the case, Chad Hagan of the Houston law firm Hagan Noll & Boyle, LLC, DISH hopes that any other would-be pirates “will see this and it will be a reminder that DISH is out there and will come after people” who try to steal its signal.

So here is the official Freetech apology to DISH:

“Freetech, Inc., the South San Francisco based importer and distributor of the Coolsat line of Free-to-Air Satellite receivers announces that it will dissolve and cease operations as part of its agreement to resolve a lawsuit filed by DISH Network, EchoStar Technologies and NagraStar (collectively “DISH Network”).DISH Network filed suit against Freetech in December of 2007 asserting that Coolsat receivers were primarily designed and used for the piracy of DISH Network’s satellite television programming. Freetech acknowledges that Coolsat receivers were used for this purpose and apologizes for any harm caused to DISH Network. As part of the resolution of the lawsuit, the Court entered a consent judgment finding in favor of DISH Network, EchoStar and NagraStar in the aggregate amount of $106,000,000.00 and entering a permanent injunction against Freetech and its officers and certain employees.

Freetech has also agreed to cooperate with DISH Network in its current and future anti-piracy actions.”

Freetrech of coolsat USA is the importer coolsat Korea or wherever they are made DID nothing wrong or that is what I have read.

Freetrech of coolsat USA is the importer coolsat Korea or wherever they are made DID nothing wrong or that is what I have read.

Yes, if you look at it on paper they did nothing wrong as the receivers they where manufacturing did have a ligitiment purpose.

The issue is that at one point they realized that their receivers could be used for other purposes, and instead of redesigning their equipment so it could not be used for other purposes, they continued to manufacture and sell their product.

There are also rumors that they where the ones writing and distributing the Illegal software using in their products.

Thats really too bad.. Its a nice box.. I guess I'm stuck with that crummy static satellite list then. I still can't believe that they'd have left off such an obvious feature.

If anyone has the cs 7100 and has updated the software please let me know if you might still have the binary laying around.

Yes, if you look at it on paper they did nothing wrong as the receivers they where manufacturing did have a ligitiment purpose.

Did you try searching google for the 7100 firmware? I'm sure it's available somewhere on the net.
Just make sure its the legit factory firmware.

Yup.. ol Coolsat bit the bullet on that lawsuit looks like.
While on the down low Echostar themselves Sell their Own FTA sat Boxes in other countries. Therefore echostar simply took out one of their competitors.
So it's kinda like selling guns, you shouldn't sue a manufacturer because someone shot you with their coolsat gun.. while you yourself sell guns in another country.
I guess those hackers should have used echostars own fta boxes. LOL!

ha ha

Did you try searching google for the 7100 firmware? I'm sure it's available somewhere on the net.

Yup.. ol Coolsat bit the bullet on that lawsuit looks like.
While on the down low Echostar themselves Sell their Own FTA sat Boxes in other countries. Therefore echostar simply took out one of their competitors.
So it's kinda like selling guns, you shouldn't sue a manufacturer because someone shot you with their coolsat gun.. while you yourself sell guns in another country.
I guess those hackers should have used echostars own fta boxes. LOL!

Nah they found them to be too buggy. :D:D

Yup I hunted everywhere for 7100 firmware with no luck so far. I found 4/5/6000 software all over the place - even the source code... but nothing for the 7100. :confused:

Before giving up and switching STBs again I'll play around with this one a little more. See if I can connect it to my PC and mount its NAND flash as a drive. Maybe there is a file on the file system with the sat info that can be edited or something.

Factory software

Here are all of the 'factory' files I know of that were released over the life of the CS7100.

Also for your enjoyment:
- a copy of the user manual
- channel editor for the 7000 which also works for the 7100 (though it's been a while since I used it so I don't remember exactly how, but Iceberg originally found it for me so it's probably documented here somewhere)
- a file that provides the remote codes for an older version of SlingPlayer (I don't remember how to install that one either).

I learned shortly after getting the thing that its primary purpose was to steal dish network, if you look at any of the eyepatch firmwares it is obvious that it was either done in-house, or by a group which had been given easy access to the original source code and development tools. Some of them actually work better for true FTA than the factory versions, though that was no doubt entirely unintentional. Especially if you want to build a weird config, say a couple of FTA dishes behind a dish SW21 switch. I will *not* be uploading any of those versions here, nor will I entertain any accusation that I might have obtained or used any of them at all for any purpose at any time.

Attachments

• CS7100-v111.zip
    959.6 KB · Views: 184
  • CS7100-V112.zip
    947.1 KB · Views: 241
  • cs7100-v114.zip
    960.6 KB · Views: 178
  • CS7100-v116.zip
    988.3 KB · Views: 167
  • Slingbox_CoolSatPVR_V2000_PL.zip
    177 bytes · Views: 144
  • cs7100_manual.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 230
Last edited by a moderator:
Here are all of the 'factory' files I know of that were released over the life of the CS7100.

Also for your enjoyment:
- a copy of the user manual
- channel editor for the 7000 which also works for the 7100 (though it's been a while since I used it so I don't remember exactly how, but Iceberg originally found it for me so it's probably documented here somewhere)
- a file that provides the remote codes for an older version of SlingPlayer (I don't remember how to install that one either).

I learned shortly after getting the thing that its primary purpose was to steal dish network, if you look at any of the eyepatch firmwares it is obvious that it was either done in-house, or by a group which had been given easy access to the original source code and development tools. Some of them actually work better for true FTA than the factory versions, though that was no doubt entirely unintentional. Especially if you want to build a weird config, say a couple of FTA dishes behind a dish SW21 switch. I will *not* be uploading any of those versions here, nor will I entertain any accusation that I might have obtained or used any of them at all for any purpose at any time.

Thanks a lot! This is what I was looking for. That channel editor you speak of is for editing the Sat table too? I just have a Ku setup here and I have all these C band entries that I'd like to program to Ku sats - I can't even reprogram the four "user" sat entries in that table - its utter craziness.

While we're on that other topic of these boxes being used for alternative, illegal purposes I too am in no way interested in obtaining service illegally. My interest in this STB begins and ends with using it for FTA. Finding out what I need to do to get a sat list in the box that is somewhat relevant to what I have on my roof instead of this stock one-size-fits-all hodgepodge list will already be more than I'd ever want to know about this box.

Hey Pepper, FYI: That CoolSat editor exe appears to be infected. Below is the line from my AV program that stopped the download:

C:\.....\Coolsat7000-editor.zip » ZIP » Coolsat7000-editor.exe - probably a variant of Win32/Hupigon trojan

Hey Pepper, FYI: That CoolSat editor exe appears to be infected. Below is the line from my AV program that stopped the download:

C:\.....\Coolsat7000-editor.zip » ZIP » Coolsat7000-editor.exe - probably a variant of Win32/Hupigon trojan

Hmm...nothing showing on my end. I'm using Symantec Enpoint Protection (whatever work has installed on my laptop).

AVG Free flags it as "Runtime packed nspack".

From AVG's Forum: Run-time packed means:
The file was packed with one of less common run-time packers,
which may indicate an attempt to prevent scanning of such file.
However, not every report of such file indicates a virus.

I better go burn my Coolsat 5K factory firmware to a disk since the Company Coolsat is no more.:(

I removed the editor file because I did get some reports as to it possibly having a virus on it. I know the 7000 loader just flag as a trojan on my computer

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)