What happened to dbsforums?

Even the moderators and staff don't know and have been unable to get a hold of Dan Collins. Bill R finally posted on another forum and I was shocked to hear that they didn't even know themselves what happened. It's true it was more like a yahoo group than a forum. A large following came from a sports history group to yahoo (this is how the commentator threads became so popular). The only one who knows is Dan and I doubt that the site is coming back due to the time and care it takes to maintain a site of that of that type.

Actually, I have been here for about a year and half now. I mainly use this site for dbs and directv hd stuff and not sports, but I do check out the sports forum here. I basically only check the sports forum on dbsforums, almost everything else is not as up to date as what you will find on sattelite guys.

Loved DBSForums. Sorry if it's actually gone. Kinda went downhill after Dan stopped posting about a year or so ago. Had a lot of very knowledgable posters who were very helpful when I signed up for DTV in 2004. At that time Dan and DBSForums were great and I learned a lot from them.

DBS Forums has a long and proud history. It has slid downhill but if it is gone iI think that it is more appropriate for the community to mourn it's passing because of what they did for us all instead of takinga cheap shot.

Does anyone have an update on the site or at least as importantly Mr. Collins who controls the server? No matter what you think of the site today it has helped many of us
and there are very few people in the community that I would hold in higher regard than Mr. Collins. I certainly hope that he is OK and that he knows that most of the community appreciates his contributions.

I would like to see it come back, there is a lot of history of dbsforums.

I would be happy to host it here on our server for FREE so that its history stays alive. I dont care if they want to keep it open (which I would like to see) or shut it down but keep it running as an archive so all the great DBS history is not lost.

If the system was moved here, I would only offer them the space and keep the server running, their staff would continue to operate the site and have editorial control etc over the site.

DBS Forums has a long and proud history. It has slid downhill but if it is gone iI think that it is more appropriate for the community to mourn it's passing because of what they did for us all instead of takinga cheap shot.
Completely agree!

Lots of us really love that forum but I think it would be better over here, so these periodical crashes stop happening.

I have offered to host that site on our servers here for FREE a few times, but they never have taken me up on the offer.

When the site goes down its usually down for days or weeks.

Its not a nice way that they run what I consider the grand daddy of satellite forums. Without DBS Forums there would not be a SatelliteGuys today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)