What happened to DISH Family?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

wcnghj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 18, 2010
New England
I don't see any mention of it on the website. My contract states that DISH Family @24.99 is the minimum required package. I was planning on switching down to that when my $15 off month promotion expires.

Did they just stop advertising it?

I dont think its available anymore to subs
You had to be on it as of 6/3 to keep it

Hmm, that isn't good. I really like DISH, and the Family plan was a good attraction for after the initial promos were up.

Hopefully they'll understand and I won't need to fight with them to either get the Family plan or out of the contract.

I believe that the cheapest package now is Dish America (an HD only package) for $29.99/month including locals.

Last edited:
Hmm, that isn't good. I really like DISH, and the Family plan was a good attraction for after the initial promos were up.

Hopefully they'll understand and I won't need to fight with them to either get the Family plan or out of the contract.

They will understand that if you want to bail on your contract, it will cost you...as it should! :up

Not it they can't live up to it. The contract requires a minimum service plan, and the English one on my contract is DISH Family for $24.99.

The minimum service plan on your agreement doesn't really matter.

You have to notify Dish immediately after a change of terms is made or you accept the terms of the most current agreement just by receiving and paying for service. This is how pretty much any service contract with commitment works.

That being said I bet you could still get it right now as others have said but, who knows about the future.

When you signed up for Dish you were under a certain promotion period. That period has ended and the Family Pack is no longer available. Packages change every quarter. You can maybe see if they will give you a smaller packages otherwise it will cost you some money to cancel. Best just to stay with the Top 120.

You should see the Dish Farm on the back of that building. I think I have posted some pics in one of the Dish Hunting threads in the FTA section. TV Guide Networks or Gemstar, not sure what Corporate name is being used now, is on the back side of DISH in that building. Yes you can see that sign all up down 71st St.

The minimum service plan on your agreement doesn't really matter.

You have to notify Dish immediately after a change of terms is made or you accept the terms of the most current agreement just by receiving and paying for service. This is how pretty much any service contract with commitment works.

That being said I bet you could still get it right now as others have said but, who knows about the future.

I have yet to receive a change of terms letter. As of now, they have not changed my contract.

When you signed up for Dish you were under a certain promotion period. That period has ended and the Family Pack is no longer available. Packages change every quarter. You can maybe see if they will give you a smaller packages otherwise it will cost you some money to cancel. Best just to stay with the Top 120.

When I subscribed, I signed up for Top 120 for $39.99 with a $15/month credit for 12 months. I am currently on month 6. Because my contract states that DISH Family is the minimum required English programming, and they have not changed my contract, I could call in at any time(unless they change my contract) and ask for the minimum required programming. If they can't give me the Family plan- they have essentially broken the contract and that would give me an out at no cost. Something similar happened when Unicel(a now defunct cellular company) changed their subscription costs.

Keep in mind- I'm not trying to scam DISH in any way- $28/month is my cutoff for TV Entertainment costs. If I had the money, I'd have the Top 250 plan.

Damn! I knew it was often but quarterly? It does seem like they change often...

I have yet to receive a change of terms letter. As of now, they have not changed my contract.

When I subscribed, I signed up for Top 120 for $39.99 with a $15/month credit for 12 months. I am currently on month 6. Because my contract states that DISH Family is the minimum required English programming, and they have not changed my contract, I could call in at any time(unless they change my contract) and ask for the minimum required programming. If they can't give me the Family plan- they have essentially broken the contract and that would give me an out at no cost. Something similar happened when Unicel(a now defunct cellular company) changed their subscription costs.

Keep in mind- I'm not trying to scam DISH in any way- $28/month is my cutoff for TV Entertainment costs. If I had the money, I'd have the Top 250 plan.

I will bet on the contract it says packages and availability are subject to change without notice. I highly doubt Dish is that stupid to not have that language in there.

To me if $9 more a month for pay tv is deal breaker you have many other issues to worry about financially and are better off to cancel and live with the ETF.

I will bet on the contract it says packages and availability are subject to change without notice. I highly doubt Dish is that stupid to not have that language in there.

To me if $9 more a month for pay tv is deal breaker you have many other issues to worry about financially and are better off to cancel and live with the ETF.

I simply don't think TV is worth $40+tax/month with all the commercials. It is worth $25. When I signed up for service I fully intended to stay for two years.

We'll see what they six months from now when I call.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/legal/DHA_Agreement.pdf

The sample agreement lists Dish America including locals for $29.99/month. Therefore, I would check with a CSR (You may have to play CSR roulette.). I know that you stated that $28.00/month is your cutoff. However, honestly, I think it will be very difficult to find a package as low as $28.00/month these days. $29.99 is $1.99/month over what you are willing to pay per month, but I think it is better than paying cancellation fees. Scott posted a great list of what is included in the Dish America pack under the thread "DISH HD Information."

According to the list you would recieve along with your locals:

A&E HD
ABC Family HD (Of course, right now there is a dispute.)
Cartoon Network HD
CMT HD
CNBC HD
CNN HD
Comedy Central HD
Discovery Channel HD
Dish Network HD PPV (15) (So, you get access to PPV...)
Dish Netwrok HD VOD (60) (Again, access to...)
Disney (E) HD (Again, disputing going on right now...)
ESPN HD
ESPN 2 HD
ESPNews HD (Again, dispute going on...)
Food Network HD
HD Theater
HDNet
HGTV HD
History Channel HD
Lifetime HD
Palladia HD
Spike HD
Syfy Channel HD
TBS in HD
TLC HD
TNT HD
Travel Channel HD
USA HD
Weather Channel HD

It does not seem like a horrible list although I would miss a few channels especially the Encore Channels. However, I think a few of the Encores could be added for $5.00/month.

If you have HD for Life, then you may want to stay with AT120. I think that you would get more channels that way even if it is $10 more a month at $39.99/month.

wcn you are dreaming. Lawyers wrote that contract no matter how you choose to interpret it, they will enforce it by their interpretation. At that time, however, Dish might have something you like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)