What happened to their satellite?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Videogamer555

Original poster
Mar 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
My DirecTV just went out yesterday, and when looking at DirecTV's official support forum on their site, I'm not the only person who had that happen. Something either happened to their satelite (hit by meteor, cosmicrays/solarwind, or had a terribly bad technical malfunction), or something happened to their base-station transmitter that sends all the TV programming up to the satellite via a very large transmitter dish. I know it's not my own receiver, because I'm not the only person who had it happen, and it happened on the same date as others who are complaining. If someone here has some independant knowledge of what exactly happened (cause DTV isn't saying anything other than that they have a problem, when you call customer service), PLEASE leave your info about what happened, here in this thread. I wanna know what happened, cause I wanna know why I'm not able to get my TV signal.

Are you out totally? Can you post your signal levels on all of the satellites?

My DirecTV just went out yesterday, and when looking at DirecTV's official support forum on their site, I'm not the only person who had that happen. Something either happened to their satelite (hit by meteor, cosmicrays/solarwind, or had a terribly bad technical malfunction), or something happened to their base-station transmitter that sends all the TV programming up to the satellite via a very large transmitter dish. I know it's not my own receiver, because I'm not the only person who had it happen, and it happened on the same date as others who are complaining. If someone here has some independant knowledge of what exactly happened (cause DTV isn't saying anything other than that they have a problem, when you call customer service), PLEASE leave your info about what happened, here in this thread. I wanna know what happened, cause I wanna know why I'm not able to get my TV signal.

post signals, give us a list of what channels went out. mine has been running just fine.

It is on the screen that it NORMALLY is at only the FIRST time the receiver is powered on. That is, the "getting satellite info" screen. It should never have had to go back to this screen for anything. Even worse, it says 0%, and this NEVER changes. I press setup, and go to the signal strength measurement, and it I found it is a signal strength of 0 on ALL transponders. Satellite is set to 101. And when I try to select a different satellite number (with the onscreen plus and minus buttons near the word "satellite") it NEVER CHANGES the satellite number. The satellite 101 appears to be hardcoded into my receiver (either in the receiver itself or in the access card). It should be 101, but I considered changing it, because I figured it might be a technical glitch in the satellite could cause it to identify itself as a different satellite in the ID signal, but I couldn't change satellites to check this theory.

In addition to this signal outage preventing me from watching live TV, it has LOCKED ME OUT of my recordings that I'd previously recorded (I have the DVR version of the DTV receiver).

Could someone else who's satellite is 101, please post a reply in here, and tell me if your signal is gone too. I want to know if it really is a technical problem on the part of DirecTV.

we all use 101 and NO its not out, in fact I have great signal strength on all 5 orbital slots and I am missing zero channels. DirecTV dish setups are fixed, you can not change what SAT is seen and what is not, nor would you want or need to. you can select what SAT to test or see a signal meter from.. you either have a dish alignment or hardware issue.

Well, sat 101 is the main core satellite for ALL SD channels for everybody.
I think I read somewhere that DirecTV was in the process of moving transponder assignments.
You may have to go online and have your receivers re-authorized to get your receiver sync' to the new assignments.
Did you do a restart of the receiver?
BTW, what receivers do you have?

I'm ASSUMING he has an R15. The reason I say that is because R15's are locking up across the nation due to some software the tried to release for them. Directv isn't setting up service calls for it either since it's a software glitch. As of now they are aware and working on a fix

so the "personal hardware issue" from the beginning is the culprit in essence?? would love to know who/where is reporting that DirecTV's 101 bird(s) are totally down? LOL

I have the standard def, DTV DVR unit. Specifically, the model of the unit is DIRECTV+PLUS (where the word "PLUS" is written vertically on the logo label, "DIRECTV" is written horizontally, and the "+" is is at the corner between these two words).

And also, according to customer service when you call them, they DO have a problem on their side of things, but they don't say what it is.

If there was a national outage, there would be thousands of posts here, hundreds at least. Your's is the only one. I suspect either your lnb failed, or your dvr did. If you have an R15, then it could be software related like Hutch mentioned.

If there was a national outage, there would be thousands of posts here, hundreds at least. Your's is the only one. I suspect either your lnb failed, or your dvr did. If you have an R15, then it could be software related like Hutch mentioned.

Then why did DTV admit to having problems on their end?

And what is an R15? It doesn't say R15 anywhere on my receiver box.

It is a bug in the new R15 software release you got in the last couple of days.

One of the users over at the DirecTV forum posted this which seems to solve the problem...
1)At the 0% complete loading screen, hit exit.

2)Push Menu button.

3)Scroll down to and select Parental, Fav's & Setup

4)Select System Setup

5)Select Satellite

6)Select Repeat Satellite Setup

7)At the next screen hit the Dash button (underneath the 7 on the remote

8)Select Continue

Is your DVR silver? If so then you might as well sit back and throw in a movie. There's no fix for it yet but considering its affecting the whole country I would say its safe to say it'll be fixed sooner rather than later

Videogamer555 said:
Then why did DTV admit to having problems on their end?

And what is an R15? It doesn't say R15 anywhere on my receiver box.

Because a bad software download would be their end NOT yours. That's why they're admitting they have a problem and not offering to send a tech to your home

It is a bug in the new R15 software release you got in the last couple of days.

One of the users over at the DirecTV forum posted this which seems to solve the problem...
1)At the 0% complete loading screen, hit exit.

2)Push Menu button.

3)Scroll down to and select Parental, Fav's & Setup

4)Select System Setup

5)Select Satellite

6)Select Repeat Satellite Setup

7)At the next screen hit the Dash button (underneath the 7 on the remote

8)Select Continue

Thanks, that worked.

Had a similar problem on my HR24s. I've been out of town the past couple days bit when I returned home tonight I found HGTV, History, Discovery, SpikeTV, SyFy and possibly others were just black. Other channels were fine and receivers passed self tests. After about 45 min on phone with tech support and multiple RBRs, they finally had me unplug the receivers after which the channels started working again (had to do on each receiver).

All good here, all of my Transponders on the 101 are between 96 and 100, with the exception of 28 which is between 70 and 76. No missing channels here.

Had a similar problem on my HR24s. I've been out of town the past couple days bit when I returned home tonight I found HGTV, History, Discovery, SpikeTV, SyFy and possibly others were just black. Other channels were fine and receivers passed self tests. After about 45 min on phone with tech support and multiple RBRs, they finally had me unplug the receivers after which the channels started working again (had to do on each receiver).

You probably could have "Refreshed " your recvr online and you would have been good.

Did they show an ext. number on those channels ?

I lose all my channels when I leave my secondary recvr unplugged when not using it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts