What if it's true RVers will have to get a separate account if they get a hopper?

steve4810

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 27, 2006
I personally will deal with the second account it that is what I have to do because it wouldn't be activated that many days a year, but only if I can still move my EHDs between the Hopper and VIP in the trailer.

Otherwise all bets are off.

Unless Dish changes something, sharing the archived drives between accts won't work. As soon as you plug the drive into a receiver on a different acct it will ask to reformat the drive

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Unless Dish changes something, sharing the archived drives between accts won't work. As soon as you plug the drive into a receiver on a different acct it will ask to reformat the drive
That was my point.

I'd say the answer is to have the EHD married to the RV account when you want it.

I'd say the answer is to have the EHD married to the RV account when you want it.
My whole deal is to bring the shows from home. To make you idea work I would have to keep the RV receiver activated 365 days with duplicate of all the house hopper timers. And that's worse overkill than buying a hopper and would practically double my bill. Also at that point I wouldn't need an EHD in the first place. I use an EHD to *move* recordings from house to trailer for a camping trip. Though on another EHD I do have a library of favorites but usually never think about talking those shows camping, but in the present setup and can toss in both drives.:D

I'm sorry this thread is so tedious but I hate the idea either not having the cool Hopper and what it can do for the house or giving up a great option for traveling with my own favorite shows available just like at home.

I know, I know; cake... eat it too... look it up.

I still think Dish will have a solution for people who want the Hopper and still want a receiver for their RV. I haven't heard for sure yet.

Perhaps their idea is going to be purchase a hopper for our RVs. Workable if there is not a limit of 2 hoppers per account as has been hinted to. I can not speak for anyone here other than myself but if the answer to this question is either A. have two accounts or B. live without the latest equipment, then for me it will be B for some period of time while I investigate other options. The RV option allowed me to pull the receiver out of the RV this weekend set it up in our garage (detached), reactivate the receiver for the day and host a great super bowl party in the garage. Eliminating the mess in our house. I have an idea, but one I really don't see Dish offering. What if for those who have purchased receivers for RV use, they allow us to trade those for a hopper and joey even if that would put us over any per account hopper limit they might have? Say a single box non dvr get's you x credit for a hopper and joey a dual non dvr gets you y credit and a dual dvr gets you z credit. Now that would make me a happy camper (pun intended)

I don't want it for an RV, I just want to be able to take a receiver with me to our lake house on weekends during the summer, A H/J setup would make things easier around the house during the week, but I need the 211 also. I don't want a second acct that will only get used maybe 60 -70 days total during the year.

Yes, it does offer a little more hope. But I'm not counting my hoppers before they hatch. :D

I know we only have a few more days to wait but something occurred to me:

Scott brought clear evidence that at CES a Dish rep said no mixing Hopper and VIP. Now we see contradicting information from Dish documents both pro and con that the idea is OK.

So this:

Why hasn't DIRT settled this issue? They have to be aware some of us are becoming quite tedious about this. I don't think they or the rest of Dish would have any thing to gain letting us continue to flounder around looking for a final answer. Could it be that the matter isn't settled within the company or DIRT can't find someone in management willing go on the record saying yes or no.

There could even be confusion among sources like those Scott talked to. What if their understanding of his question was Can both technologies work together as in a joey getting feed from a VIP or a VIP acting like a Joey? and so spoke as an engineer and said "You can't mix Hopper and VIP equipment." Never intending to imply there was a company policy to require all VIP be taken off a customer's account just because a Hopper is added.

Then maybe word started going around inside Dish just like it did with us and took on a life of it's own: "Did you hear, no Mixing Hoppers and VIPs?"

Think about it: Telling telling people with VIP receivers, they may very well own, that when they order Hopper equipment all VIP equipment will be deactivated just because it's policy.

"But my mother lives with us and we installed a separate Dish and VIP622 just for her. Why does that have to be turned off? What does the Hopper install have to do with her? She has a separate dish and separate receiver in her room."

You can make dozens of scenarios involving RVs or a caregiver for an invalid family member who has to live in your house and expects privacy or a live in housekeeper who you believe has no business sitting in her room seeing what the family is watching on TV, or a child that lost his job and had move in with his wife and wants to feel he can at least control one Dish receiver.

It just doesn't make sense.

I'm thinking they didn't tell Scott at CES because they do not want it to be public knowledge. It's already been said that dish doesn't want to market it that way.

It's not DIRT's job to settle the issue or even comment on it. Even if they know something, they couldn't and shouldn't say anything until there is an official announcement.

I don't think anyone technical ever had any question that a single Dish could feed both systems. The mechanics of a mixed system are pretty straitforward, and the install docs posted showed no real surprise. There are scenarios with multiple accounts fed off one Dish, so the docs show how to handle it.

The reports have always been that Dish won't allow mixed accounts and the billing system won't support it. The billing system can support whatever Dish wants it to, so this is a business decision probably intended to streamline install, support and billing, not a technical one.

It may be a permanent decision. It may be transitional so they can get the system out the door. It may be something they come back to and reconsider.

One thing Dish should not do is suggest even in the slightest, most non-commital way that they will support a mixed setup until they are sure they will follow through.

It's not DIRT's job to settle the issue or even comment on it. Even if they know something, they couldn't and shouldn't say anything until there is an official announcement...

(Edit)

One thing Dish should not do is suggest even in the slightest, most non-commital way that they will support a mixed setup until they are sure they will follow through.
Goes with my initial guess that no one in authority has answered because no one outside Dish or even Inside knows.

I swear I will not post here again until Dish reveals the official word. Cross my heart.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)