What if the cables break between LNBs? AT9???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bertbarndoor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Ok, just looking for some wisdom / knowledge / opinions here.

Buddy and I were installing an AT9. The stupid coaxial jumper cables between the two main LNB heads (110/119 and the 99/101/103) snapped off while attaching them to the dish. FYI, I have seen different types, but these were (or appeared to be) standard RG6 cables with regular screw on F Type compression connectors.

Anyhow, after the cables break, we are at a loss and short on time, so we buy two 3 foot RG6 cables from the Source (Radio Shack) and run them between the two LNB assemblies. These were not F-compression , they were standard crimp.

My question is, is this a problem? Are they standard RG6 cables? Will the crimp be fine? Is 3 feet too long between LNBs? Will any of this affect signal strength? He was getting 70s and 80s on all transponders for 101. So, he seemed to be fine, but then last night it rained and he lost the signal?

Thanks for any help. :confused:

The cable type is fine, but, crimps can let in water/dew, I would switch to compression, I guess you could gob some silicon over/into (where the seams are) the crimps for now.

Last edited:
The cable type is fine, but, crimps can let in water/dew, I would switch to compression, I guess you could gob some silicon over/into (where the seams are) the crimps for now.

the cables are just normal jumpers i actually have seen them in both 59 and rg6
as far as the length goes i would have to say go with as close to factory as you can get. and for the fittings always use compression connectors anywhere they are going to be exposed to the elements. oh yeah one last ting the small clip on lnb is only for 110 and 119, 101 103 and 99 all on main lnb

Assuming this was an Andrews dish, the two jumpers are difficult NOT to break. After installing a few of them, I stopped using the included jumpers and made my own for every dish thereafter. Losing signal on 101 would not be an issue with the clip on LNBs, that would be dish alignment or moisture penetration into your lines somewhere most likely.

Length probably isn't a huge issue, but if you have the capacity replacing the jumpers with shorter ones would probably be a good idea. Like the above poster said, smear some sealant over the crimp on connectors and you're probably good to go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Will a receiver/card go 711 if it is not hooked up for a while?

Channel 96 (YES feed in NY) - Broke for Months

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts