what is a good c/ku band lnb

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dannyidp

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
ga.
What is a good c/ku band lnb? I just purchased a 6 foot dish and I am new to c band so I;m wondering when i change channels from a ku channel to a c channel will it work or will i have to change something on the lnb?

one other question I have a pansat sm250 and a cnx nano will these receivers work say like with the rfd channel or will i have to upgrade? thanks for any and all input

It all depends on what kind of configuration that you want, and how much you want to spend when it comes to LNB's. I tried to use a C/Ku LNBF, the WSI DMX741 that many here have had success with. I did not have that much success with it myself, not that it is a bad configuration or anything, I just did not like it. That DMX 741 will probably run you from $35-40. It does not require that you have a polarizer on your receiver to switch polarities. I am now using Norsat LNB's, they will run you anywhere from $100 to $150 each though, unless you can find some on E-Bay or CraigsList or something like that. For your configuration, it sounds what would perform the best would be to find a Chaparral Corotor II and get a good C-Band LNB and a good Ku-Band LNB, and use your Pansat SM250 to switch polarities, I believe that it has a polarizer on it, so you would hook up that to the servo motor on the Corotor II. You will also need a GBox or a VBox for a positioner, and I would recommend satellite ribbon cable that has your two coax wires, plus the positioner wire, and the wire for the servo all in one ribbon. You can get that cable from Barney at Volunteer Satellite Distributors Volunteer Satellite Distributing - home for about $.91 per foot. They also sell the Chaparral Corortor II there. Good prices, and easy to deal with. The SM250 should get RFD on AMC1 at 103W, since it is DVB-S. You will miss out on some MPEG4 and DVB-S2 feeds though, so later on, you might want to look at a newer model receiver like the Manhattan, Openbox S9 or S10, or the Pansat 9200 or 9500. Those Pansats have a polarizer built into them so that would work your servo motor.

What is a good c/ku band lnb? I just purchased a 6 foot dish and I am new to c band so I;m wondering when i change channels from a ku channel to a c channel will it work or will i have to change something on the lnb?

one other question I have a pansat sm250 and a cnx nano will these receivers work say like with the rfd channel or will i have to upgrade? thanks for any and all input

Lot of people here using the DMX741, and having good results. It can be a challenge getting good C AND Ku on any dish at the same time, with any of these C/Ku combo LNBFs, they have to be just right.

As far as RFD goes last I knew it was at:

AMC1 @ 103W (C-band)
3915 H 4410

DVB-S

If those specs are still correct you will be able to receive the video with your receivers, but I think the audio may be in AC-3 format, so you may need additional equipment to hear the audio.

Welcome to the forum. :)

Thanks for your input I'm not new to fta ku band but c band is new to me .I have a 36'' dish with motor .I wanted to upgrade so I purchase a 6 foot dish fig I would hook my cables up to it find a sat lock it in and flip channels c and ku channels.:popcorn but looks like I'm wrong okay right now this is where I stand I have got a 6'dish and a 24'' actuator arm 36 dc i think on the way.so is my fta box going to turn this sat are am I going to have something else? would I be better off to keep using my 36'' dish for ku and use the 6' for c band? man I would not know how to hook that up:coffee anyway thanks guys if you could comment and help me here I would appreciate it......

If I were you, since you already have the Ku set up, I would go straight C-Band with the big dish. You can get a C-Band LNBF fairly inexpensivly, or you can get a Chaparral Dual C-Band feedhorn and do two C-Band LNB's (one for each polarity), that way you will not need to always keep a receiver around that has a polarizer built in. You will need a GBox from Sadoun or a VBox from WSI to position the dish. I have not used a VBox, so I cannot comment on it, but the GBox is very good. It will run you about $65 or so. You can hook up both of your dishes to the same receiver. I have not got this far yet, I am going to put up a 1.2m Ku dish pretty soon, so I will have to be asking questions about this myself. I am sure that others here that are much more knowledgeable than I am will be able to help more with that, and have more input to help answer your questions.

thanks guys anybody else want to chime in I would appreciate it.I'm looking for all the info i can get.;)

I would go straight C-Band with the big dish.
Since you already have operating Ku, this is they way I'd do it. Coax routing:
Receiver>>usals motor>>diseqc sw. >> C and Ku lnbf's and if it's going to be C band on a polar mount:
Receiver >> G(V)box >> usals motor >> diseqc sw. >> C and KU lnbf's.
My routing is Receiver >>GBox >>diseqc sw. >> C & Ku lnbf's. (No usals motor as i've mounted a small Ku to the BUD to track the arc.)

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 402
Or go totally over the top and put up a Dual Orthomode Feed with 4 PLL LNBs (2ku and 2c) for around $2000~$2200 :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)