What is DIRECTV's new GENIE?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You agree with me Harshness? :eek: Holy crapoly!! Mark this date down everybody! :D

i gotta agree with harsh here :eek:. terrible name. the names hopper/joey sound better to me now when compared to genie...

You know whats going to sound strange... I agree with what Optimist said too cause for the most part its true.

The truth of the matter is the general public would not know anything about the Genie (and we never claimed to know it all) if we didn't mention it here first. If we didn't mention it there would have been no "first look" posted. And I am proud of that.

I will be honest sometimes I don't know what to do with a lot of the DIRECTV information I am passed. I get a lot of stuff from DIRECTV employees and retailers from around the country. Most of it though is marked copyright DIRECTV and also marked not for public consumption. While it would be 100% legal for me to post all of these items as news items, I have been holding off because I would rather work with DIRECTV then work against them. I don't know I am kind of at a crossroads... maybe I should post these things and maybe I shouldn't. When I learn something about DISH I post it. However there are times when DISH tells me something and tells me NOT to post it, and I honor their request because most of their requests are to prevent giving their competition a competitive advantage... and I would do the same thing for DIRECTV as well.

DIRECTV is a tricky thing for me to talk about as I am a huge fan of DIRECTV and I consider it the true gold standard of television services. But a lot of people consider me a DISH guy because me and Charlie Ergen are on a first name basis. They get made at me and SatelliteGuys because we don't cover DIRECTV at CES but do cover DISH. The reason why this is because DIRECTV has not been officially at CES for the past few years. Yet DIRECTV has been at CES each year but you could only see their stuff if you were invited to their private hotel room. Or in some cases you could maybe see some upcoming equipment if you stopped by one of their vendors and knew when to stop by. For example a few years ago we had a very nice meeting with Entropic who is best known for their MoCA stuff. A few hours after we left they then showed off what would become the HR-34 receiver. People were mad at us for not covering it (and we would of!) but it was not there when we were there, nor was it there when we found out about and went back to check it out ourselves.

I love ALL satellite technology and LOVE talking to all kinds of people about it. I have spent the last three weeks meeting with thousands of people at The Big E talking about the joy of Satellite. Not just talking about DISH, but talking about DIRECTV, talking about Free To Air Television.. and I even helped one guy fix his canadian Bell TV subscription.

Me personally, I have DISH, DIRECTV, a C Band DISH, a KU Band dish and also a Sky Television subscription in England (and send it back to the USA via Slingbox) as I said I love this stuff.

If you like DBSTalk then fine I am happy for you. They DO do some good stuff. I visit there often myself and am active on their forums at times. But ultimately I am glad you are here as well where you can learn things from a different aspect. And personally I am glad you have two good choices to learn and get help with your setups. :)

Really .... you find 4 shows on at the same time on the major networks that you HAVE to see ?

Sure, theres alot of stuff I could record, but I don't usually record things unless I know I want to see them.

I love it when people poo-poo a competitor's totally optional, not for everyone feature. I could see if dish was forcing it down everyone's throats, and it took up your user space, but they don't, and it doesn't.

You would probably be one of the first hailing D*'s launch of a similar feature, wondering how you ever lived without it...

i gotta agree with harsh here :eek:. terrible name. the names hopper/joey sound better to me now when compared to genie...

I didn't like the name of Hopper and Joey when I first heard them... then DISH CEO Joe Clayton told me that the first name was going to be the "HopBox" now I like Hopper and Joey better. :D

You would probably be one of the first hailing D*'s launch of a similar feature, wondering how you ever lived without it...
I think of it like when DVR's first came out. If you were the regular consumer you were like "who cares" but if you used one you would wonder how you would live without one.

PrimeTimeAnyTime is ALMOST like that but not as extreme. :) I can't tell you how many shows I now watch that I would have never watched if it was not for PTAT.

AutoHop, is neat... but I could live without it.

I think of it like when DVR's first came out. If you were the regular consumer you were like "who cares" but if you used one you would wonder how you would live without one.

PrimeTimeAnyTime is ALMOST like that but not as extreme. :) I can't tell you how many shows I now watch that I would have never watched if it was not for PTAT.

AutoHop, is neat... but I could live without it.

You would think the networks would like it for this reason!

Genie is basically two different things. Genie software on the HR34 is a search engine. After using it a few days I found it annoying and turned it back off. Why would I want to record shows that " Genie" recommends. Just a waste of software engineering. The other Genie is the rebranded HR34....This then goes with the c31 to compete with Dish. The c31 is $39 to lease or $49 is you want them to install. There is another two year commitment and is considered a lease purchase. Now if your HR34 fails then all your tv's fail as they are clients and not stand alones. Sorry but this is just a me too product and not something outstanding unless you consider size. It definitely will save them cost and improve the bottom line.

Genie is basically two different things. Genie software on the HR34 is a search engine. After using it a few days I found it annoying and turned it back off. Why would I want to record shows that " Genie" recommends. Just a waste of software engineering. The other Genie is the rebranded HR34....This then goes with the c31 to compete with Dish. The c31 is $39 to lease or $49 is you want them to install. There is another two year commitment and is considered a lease purchase. Now if your HR34 fails then all your tv's fail as they are clients and not stand alones. Sorry but this is just a me too product and not something outstanding unless you consider size. It definitely will save them cost and improve the bottom line.

You mean as in they are copying Dish's Hopper/Joey? Directv has had this in the works for quite a long time.

Here is the official Genie Spec Sheet from DIRECTV. Thanks to everyone who sent this over! :)

Genie is scheduled to launch on 10/11/12. :D

Yup you heard it first HERE again. (Hear that sound? Its me patting myself on my back) :D

Attachments

• Genie_2012_Q3.pdf
    884.9 KB · Views: 6,998
Here is additional info on Genie...

Again remember where you read it FIRST. ;)

INTRODUCING, GENIE™. THE MOST ADVANCED HD DVR EVER.
STARTING 10/11, IT’S FREE IN OUR FALL OFFER!

In just a few weeks, the BONUS SAVINGS EVENT officially kicks off with new ways to save and more incredible features than ever before.

From 10/11 – 12/5, Genie™, the most advanced HD DVR ever, only from DIRECTV, will be available and FREE to ENTERTAINMENT and above, and OPTIMO MÁS™ and above customers! Genie™ also comes with 3 Clients for FREE! So now your customers can truly enjoy the best DIRECTV experience in up to 4 rooms!

Plus, for the first time ever, qualified customers will now receive INSTANT REBATE SAVINGS! That means:

No more online redemption process
Dramatically reduces time spent addressing rebate/billing questions
Selling will be easier
Your team can focus time and energy on sales
Saving money is simpler for your customers
When customers are happier, you get more referrals
And to make the BONUS SAVINGS EVENT even bigger, we’re extending all of these popular features:

2 years of rebate savings on General Market packages
2 years of bonus savings with Advanced Receiver Service
NFL SUNDAY TICKET and NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX at no extra charge
3 FREE months of HBO®, STARZ®, SHOWTIME® and CINEMAX®
SO WHY ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS GOING TO LOVE GENIE™?
Just take a look at the new features and benefits your customers will get:

GENIE™ SERVES YOUR ENTIRE HOME WITH ONE HD DVR — With Genie™, enjoy a full HD DVR experience on every TV in your home. Now you can record, pause, fast-forward, rewind and delete pre-recorded shows from any room. You can even start watching in one room and finish in any other. Plus, your family can watch the same pre-recorded show simultaneously in up to 4 rooms.1
GENIE™ ELIMINATES RECORDING CONFLICTS — Genie™ lets you record any 5 shows you want - all at the same time - all in HD - and all with one central HD DVR.2
GENIE™ STORES ALL YOUR FAVORITES — Genie™ has more than enough room, so you'll never have to delete your favorite shows to make room for new ones. Genie™ comes with 1 terabyte of HD DVR storage and up to 3 times more HD recording capacity than cable.3
GENIE™ IS SUPER SMART — Genie™ even recommends new shows you might like, based on the ones you typically watch. It’s never been easier to discover new favorites.
With Genie™ leading the way, this first-time ever combination of instant rebates, incredible new hardware and DIRECTV programming has everything your customers will love. And the best bonus of all… it’s an offer designed to bring even more high-value customers to you.

BE SURE TO ORDER GENIE™ AND CLIENTS FROM YOUR DISTRIBUTOR PARTNER RIGHT AWAY! We expect a high-demand for the Genie so make sure you have inventory in stock and are ready to go on 10/11!
Here are the BONUS SAVINGS EVENT offer details:

Free Genie™ + 3 Clients

Please note: In DWS, Genie™ will appear as “DIRECTV® Advanced Whole-Home DVR” and the Clients will appear as “Client – Leased”.

Low-risk customers only
ENTERTAINMENT and above, OPTIMO MÁS™ and above, PREFERRED CHOICE™ and JADEWORLD®
Medium-risk pays $99 for the Genie™ and can get up to 3 Clients Free
OR, Medium-risk gets 1 Free AP (HD DVR, HD or DVR); Medium-risk pays $99 each for 2nd, 3rd and 4th HD Receiver
4 FREE HD Receivers also available (Low-risk customers only)
MAS LATINO™: 1 FREE Upgrade to a DVR (Non-fee customers only)
2 full years of Instant Rebate Bonus Savings

General Market packages
Up to $30/mo. (Months 1-12)
$10/mo. (Months 13-24) (Low-risk customers only)
En Español packages
Up to $10/mo. plus up to $15/mo. with Auto Bill Pay (Months 1-12)
OPTIMO MÁS™ and above
WorldDirect® packages
Up to $22/mo. (Months 1-12)
NFL SUNDAY TICKET at no extra charge:

CHOICE™ and above, LO MÁXIMO™
Every game. Every Sunday, LIVE in HD.
Out-of-market games only.
Game Mix – Up to eight games live on one screen.
Player Tracker – Track up to 18 players in real time right on your screen.
NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX at no extra charge:

Mobile and Online Access – Every game, every Sunday, live on your laptop, tablet or cell phone.
RED ZONE CHANNEL® – All the action inside the 20.
Short Cuts – See replays of entire games in less than 30 minutes.

$10/mo. for 24 months
ENTERTAINMENT and above, PREFERRED CHOICE™ (Non-fee customers)
OPTIMO MÁS™ and above (Low-risk customers only)
HD DVR customers with valid email address at POS must enroll in and maintain qualifying package and Auto Bill Pay

ENTERTAINMENT and above, MÁS ULTRA™ and above, PREFERRED CHOICE™
3 FREE months of SHOWTIME® on OPTIMO MÁS™
FREE DIRECTV CINEMA™ Connection Kit

All non-fee HD DVR customers
Stay tuned for new ad tactics and a PDF of the Fall Offer Sales Guide.

Based on one Genie HD DVR setup (model HR34 Advanced Whole-Home DVR only). Requires a C31Client or an RVU-enabled TV/device for each additional room. Additional fees apply. Access to programming based on package selection. Blackout restrictions apply to sports programming. Program must air in HD to record in HD. 1-Requires C31 Client or an RVU-enabled TV/device for each additional room. Additional fees apply. 2-Access to programming based on package selection. Blackout restrictions apply to sports programming. Program must air in HD to record in HD. 3-Based on one Genie HD DVR setup (model HR34 Advanced Whole-Home DVR only). Actual recording capacity varies based on type of programming being recorded. Program must air in HD to record in HD. Additional required legal: Remote viewing requires a model C31Client, H25 HD Receiver(s) or RVU-enabled TV/device in each additional room, a SWiM network and Advanced Receiver Service ($20/mo.). Visit directv.com/genie for complete details. To access HD programming, HD television equipment also required. Number of HD channels varies by package. Limit three remote viewings per Genie HD DVR (model HR34 Advanced Whole-Home DVR) at a time.

Agreed.... good info.

Wasn't spelled out above but I assume the $6 extra receiver charge still applies for each client box.... ie only the equipment is free like the hopper/joey currently.

Agreed.... good info.

Wasn't spelled out above but I assume the $6 extra receiver charge still applies for each client box.... ie only the equipment is free like the hopper/joey currently.

Correct, each client, whether an rvu television or a C31 has a $6/month charge.

Here is additional info on Genie...

Again remember where you read it FIRST. ;)

INTRODUCING, GENIE™. THE MOST ADVANCED HD DVR EVER.
STARTING 10/11, IT’S FREE IN OUR FALL OFFER!

In just a few weeks, the BONUS SAVINGS EVENT officially kicks off with new ways to save and more incredible features than ever before.

From 10/11 – 12/5, Genie™, the most advanced HD DVR ever, only from DIRECTV, will be available and FREE to ENTERTAINMENT and above, and OPTIMO MÁS™ and above customers! Genie™ also comes with 3 Clients for FREE! So now your customers can truly enjoy the best DIRECTV experience in up to 4 rooms!

Plus, for the first time ever, qualified customers will now receive INSTANT REBATE SAVINGS! That means:

No more online redemption process
Dramatically reduces time spent addressing rebate/billing questions
Selling will be easier
Your team can focus time and energy on sales
Saving money is simpler for your customers
When customers are happier, you get more referrals
And to make the BONUS SAVINGS EVENT even bigger, we’re extending all of these popular features:

2 years of rebate savings on General Market packages
NFL SUNDAY TICKET and NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX at no extra charge
SO WHY ARE YOUR CUSTOMERS GOING TO LOVE GENIE™?
Just take a look at the new features and benefits your customers will get:

GENIE™ SERVES YOUR ENTIRE HOME WITH ONE HD DVR — With Genie™, enjoy a full HD DVR experience on every TV in your home. Now you can record, pause, fast-forward, rewind and delete pre-recorded shows from any room. You can even start watching in one room and finish in any other. Plus, your family can watch the same pre-recorded show simultaneously in up to 4 rooms.1
GENIE™ ELIMINATES RECORDING CONFLICTS — Genie™ lets you record any 5 shows you want - all at the same time - all in HD - and all with one central HD DVR.2
GENIE™ STORES ALL YOUR FAVORITES — Genie™ has more than enough room, so you'll never have to delete your favorite shows to make room for new ones. Genie™ comes with 1 terabyte of HD DVR storage and up to 3 times more HD recording capacity than cable.3
GENIE™ IS SUPER SMART — Genie™ even recommends new shows you might like, based on the ones you typically watch. It’s never been easier to discover new favorites.
With Genie™ leading the way, this first-time ever combination of instant rebates, incredible new hardware and DIRECTV programming has everything your customers will love. And the best bonus of all… it’s an offer designed to bring even more high-value customers to you.

BE SURE TO ORDER GENIE™ AND CLIENTS FROM YOUR DISTRIBUTOR PARTNER RIGHT AWAY! We expect a high-demand for the Genie so make sure you have inventory in stock and are ready to go on 10/11!
Here are the BONUS SAVINGS EVENT offer details:

Free Genie™ + 3 Clients

Please note: In DWS, Genie™ will appear as “DIRECTV® Advanced Whole-Home DVR” and the Clients will appear as “Client – Leased”.

Low-risk customers only
ENTERTAINMENT and above, OPTIMO MÁS™ and above, PREFERRED CHOICE™ and JADEWORLD®
Medium-risk pays $99 for the Genie™ and can get up to 3 Clients Free
OR, Medium-risk gets 1 Free AP (HD DVR, HD or DVR); Medium-risk pays $99 each for 2nd, 3rd and 4th HD Receiver
4 FREE HD Receivers also available (Low-risk customers only)
MAS LATINO™: 1 FREE Upgrade to a DVR (Non-fee customers only)
2 full years of Instant Rebate Bonus Savings

General Market packages
Up to $30/mo. (Months 1-12)
$10/mo. (Months 13-24) (Low-risk customers only)
En Español packages
Up to $10/mo. plus up to $15/mo. with Auto Bill Pay (Months 1-12)
OPTIMO MÁS™ and above
WorldDirect® packages
Up to $22/mo. (Months 1-12)
NFL SUNDAY TICKET at no extra charge:

CHOICE™ and above, LO MÁXIMO™
Every game. Every Sunday, LIVE in HD.
Out-of-market games only.
Game Mix – Up to eight games live on one screen.
Player Tracker – Track up to 18 players in real time right on your screen.
NFL SUNDAY TICKET MAX at no extra charge:

Mobile and Online Access – Every game, every Sunday, live on your laptop, tablet or cell phone.
RED ZONE CHANNEL® – All the action inside the 20.
Short Cuts – See replays of entire games in less than 30 minutes.

$10/mo. for 24 months
ENTERTAINMENT and above, PREFERRED CHOICE™ (Non-fee customers)
OPTIMO MÁS™ and above (Low-risk customers only)
HD DVR customers with valid email address at POS must enroll in and maintain qualifying package and Auto Bill Pay

ENTERTAINMENT and above, MÁS ULTRA™ and above, PREFERRED CHOICE™
3 FREE months of SHOWTIME® on OPTIMO MÁS™
FREE DIRECTV CINEMA™ Connection Kit

All non-fee HD DVR customers
Stay tuned for new ad tactics and a PDF of the Fall Offer Sales Guide.

Based on one Genie HD DVR setup (model HR34 Advanced Whole-Home DVR only). Requires a C31Client or an RVU-enabled TV/device for each additional room. Additional fees apply. Access to programming based on package selection. Blackout restrictions apply to sports programming. Program must air in HD to record in HD. 1-Requires C31 Client or an RVU-enabled TV/device for each additional room. Additional fees apply. 2-Access to programming based on package selection. Blackout restrictions apply to sports programming. Program must air in HD to record in HD. 3-Based on one Genie HD DVR setup (model HR34 Advanced Whole-Home DVR only). Actual recording capacity varies based on type of programming being recorded. Program must air in HD to record in HD. Additional required legal: Remote viewing requires a model C31Client, H25 HD Receiver(s) or RVU-enabled TV/device in each additional room, a SWiM network and Advanced Receiver Service ($20/mo.). Visit directv.com/genie for complete details. To access HD programming, HD television equipment also required. Number of HD channels varies by package. Limit three remote viewings per Genie HD DVR (model HR34 Advanced Whole-Home DVR) at a time.

Probably a dumb question, but is this free for new customers only??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts